• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire HD7970

Soldato
Also I don't care that the 7970 can handle the tessellation level in Crysis 2 and i disagree with the quoted comment about tessellation not being over the top and i will cull it in any game no matter how good the performance on NV or AMD if i cant notice the difference at a given level.

Games where i can run at 8xAA or even 16xAA through the driver and not get any dips bellow 60fps, i will instead run at 2xAA or even 4xAA if i cant notice the difference in quality.
Adjustments stop at where i cant notice the difference no matter how much overkill in power i have.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If those levels cant be noticed like already in crysis 2 then why not.

What if we start seeing a visible difference? 7970 owners are going to be left with either reduced IQ or 560TI-570GTX level of performance.

For a £450 card it's unacceptable imo, AMD/ATI have historically usually been the cheaper option so trade-offs like that were more acceptable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also I don't care that the 7970 can handle the tessellation level in Crysis 2 and i disagree with the quoted comment about tessellation not being over the top and i will cull it in any game no matter how good the performance on NV or AMD if i cant notice the difference at a given level.

Games where i can run at 8xAA or even 16xAA through the driver and not get any dips bellow 60fps, i will instead run at 2xAA or even 4xAA if i cant notice the difference in quality.
Adjustments stop at were i cant notice the difference no matter how much overkill in power i have.

I bow to a sensible post:)

Soldato
What if we start seeing a visible difference? 7970 owners are going to be left with either reduced IQ or 560TI-570GTX level of performance.

For a £450 card it's unacceptable imo, AMD/ATI have historically usually been the cheaper option so trade-offs like that were more acceptable.

If you cant see it now then you will not see it later as its already at a level it cant be seen in Crysis 2 so using any more wont make any difference.

Its more to do with how its used whether its noticeable and less on how high the factor is, hence why Heaven is much more noticeable but yet has a lower factor than Crysis 2.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
HD7970 at 1920x1080 and clocks 1125/1575.
lpsettings.jpg

TESTA
lptest1.jpg

TESTB
lptest2.jpg

Soldato
Am i missing something or do graphics card manufacturers expect everyone to have multiple cards in their pc, why do i never see a minimum fps above 60 in any recent games or benchmarks in general?

Not only do cards now seem to cost a lot more for something considered high end but we're still pretty much playing console ports with some quality improvements, i dunno if it's just me but im not impressed with the progress we've had in the last five or so years.

Is it unreasonable to expect something considered high end for £200?

Last edited:
Soldato
If we had made the jump to raytracing or at least a step towards something special i might think differently but i honestly can't see what we're expected to be paying so much for, it really comes down to the ability to play near console level games at ultra settings or a bit smoother and if you're someone who only plays a handful of big titles a year, it costs a bit much, only to repeat again every couple of years. :confused:

Caporegime

Adjustments stop at where i cant notice the difference no matter how much overkill in power i have.

Yup, exactly, always been that way for me, though I'd go one step further, I laughed at people back when FEAR 1 came out and they insisted on killing their performance and their experience by turning soft shadows on. Good attempt, they tried to move graphics forward but it looked awful, less realistic and killed performance.

So on top of what you said, I won't use settings beyond where I can see the difference, I also won't randomly turn on every single "ultra" setting, just because its deemed the top setting, if in reality it is actually reducing IQ, quite a lot of games have top end settings that actually reduce IQ while also reducing performance.

Motion blur on many games is a joke, DOF on many games just makes it unrealistic, though some games do DOF very well.

It's really simple mmj, it is IMPOSSIBLE to notice tessellation when you tessellate past the per pixel point. What is the point of having data so detailed, that say 3 different height's are all represented on a SINGLE pixel on the screen...... you can not and will not EVER see this detail, that is fact, it isn't arguable, it is literally impossible to see this detail. Using tessellation to this level is bat**** crazy and for one reason alone, and its not for IQ, at all.

This IS what Crysis 2 did, it took tessellation beyond the point you had any possibility of seeing the difference, unless you have a 26000x16000 screen you couldn't see the difference. I mean, simple, take a piece of paper, draw ANY size triangle on it, now keep subdividing it into double the amount of triangles, at some point you eventually reach a point where you just have a blob of ink and you can't see the individual triangles any more, tessellation as done in Crysis is get to that point you can't see the difference, then just randomly keep drawing more lines and more triangles you still can't see.

Back
Top Bottom