Saving Sessions / Demand reduction thread

Soldato
Getting reasonable savings via Hugo --- I stopped using the leccy heaters during WFH days as I realised it was costing just as much as gas but far less comfortable. I think that is what has given the decent chunk for yesterdays session.

8jpbvrR.jpg

Caporegime
It's amazing you can move 40kwh around to basically break the system.

I mean, if the route cause is for people to shift usage I suppose technically you're doing it very efficiently.

Wonder if this is "OK" by them. Or they will change the calcs

Associate
It's amazing you can move 40kwh around to basically break the system.

I mean, if the route cause is for people to shift usage I suppose technically you're doing it very efficiently.

Wonder if this is "OK" by them. Or they will change the calcs

I would assume that 1. A tiny % of the overall population is even taking part in in the SS. Within that tiny % a microsopic % are able to adjust their normal usage in a way to take advantage of the situation. Thus nothing will change (because of the gaming, they may change things due to other factors though)

Caporegime
I would assume that 1. A tiny % of the overall population is even taking part in in the SS. Within that tiny % a microsopic % are able to adjust their normal usage in a way to take advantage of the situation. Thus nothing will change (because of the gaming, they may change things due to other factors though)

I mean it sounds like you're genuinely using that 40kwh. Not like you've bought something that would waste the energy. Which is the objective of the scheme... Ish! :D

So really, doesn't even seem "wrong".
Not that anyone would care! :D

So just to be clear, that's all typical stuff, plus house and car battery?

Last edited:
Associate
I mean it sounds like you're genuinely using that 40kwh. Not like you've bought something that would waste the energy. Which is the objective of the scheme... Ish! :D

So really, doesn't even seem "wrong".
Not that anyone would care! :D

So just to be clear, that's all typical stuff, plus house and car battery?

Yep. Everybody (that's sensible) here is moving genuine usage away from the saving session window, as instructed. There's a financial reward for doing so and that's great. If it helps the NG i'm all for it.

Caporegime
Yep. Everybody (that's sensible) here is moving genuine usage away from the saving session window, as instructed. There's a financial reward for doing so and that's great. If it helps the NG i'm all for it.

If I had battery and had a supplier who did it I would be doing as you are. Unfortunately with neither its a non starter. Always seem worthless.. Until I saw your figures!

You can still do some stuff to give yourself a chance of some decent rewards.

The most likely window is 5-6pm with 30 mins, then another 30 mins either side in declining chance.

Based on that you can assume the 3 hour window is most likely to sit between 1pm - 4pm

As such if you reduce your normal usage to the minimum in that window (do washing early, dishwasher early/late) etc you stand most chance to get your 10 day usage in that period as low as possible.
In fact you really want to switch those devices to the likely savings session window, so again 4:30-6:30 or so.

Then on a savings session day, you move the high usage devices into the 3 hour window, showing higher daily usage than normal, and by default you now have lower usage in the savings session window.
Both combining to give you a half decent chance of some £s

Caporegime
Gaming it should disqualify you from the sessions really. It's totally not the point.

Is it though? If the aim of the thing is to "increase/decrease consumption nationally during specified times" and people are using 0 during that time is it really gaming the system? Or achieving the objective?

Last edited:
Soldato
i know you dont like me and im ok with that..its the internet after all.

But are really saying that using 48kwhs in the 3hrs before a saving session ( normally 1 hr ) is moving energy away from that session?? because to me, its moving power away from other parts of the day and not the saving session.

Soldato
Is it though? If the aim of the thing is to "increase/decrease consumption nationally during specified times" and people are using 0 during that time is it really gaming the system? Or achieving the objective?
if moving energy from other parts of the day, into a 3 hr window before the session....then yes its gaming. Because i dont know anyone that could use 48kwhs in a window of 4pm to 5pm.

Caporegime
if moving energy from other parts of the day, into a 3 hr window before the session....then yes its gaming. Because i dont know anyone that could use 48kwhs in a window of 4pm to 5pm.

Yeah but isn't the actual objective to reduce demand at x-y o'clock?
So even if someone is using all thier power before that time, if they are using 0 during it, it is helping the grid?

Soldato
This is how i see it.....

a saving session is put in place, normally its been around tea time or when people get home from work. What they ask you to do, is minimise the amount of energy you use in that session, which would mean instead of using 3, 4 or 5 kwhs in that window, try and reduce it to 1, 2 or 3.... if you do that, we will give an incentive to do so. For me it doesnt say, move all your power from the rest of the day to 3 hrs before to make money and game the system, yes the algorithm is the issue and it needs changing and that may happen.

Soldato
Yeah but isn't the actual objective to reduce demand at x-y o'clock?
So even if someone is using all thier power before that time, if they are using 0 during it, it is helping the grid?
but some have already reduced their demand at those times, because they have batteries, solar and dont use grid power at those times in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom