Shogun

Soldato
Superb first two episodes I thought. Budget Tom Hardy is good, as is the rest of the cast. Took me a while to work out who Lady Mariko was - she’s one of the annoying brats in Monarch.
If it took you that long then did you clock on that the brat's father is Ishido?

I really liked the part when she was translating, it was quite tense.

Associate
Watched it yesterday evening. Very good shame there’s still a wait for 3rd episode to release as it left me wanting to watch more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who's side is the samurai on? The guy set up the kidnapping? What plan did he make with Ishido? His master also found him a little sus when he said he's at the right place at the right time. Do you think Blackthorn is lying and setting up the fall of Japan?

Soldato
Who's side is the samurai on? The guy set up the kidnapping? What plan did he make with Ishido? His master also found him a little sus when he said he's at the right place at the right time. Do you think Blackthorn is lying and setting up the fall of Japan?
3 hearts remember, there is always gonna be something else going on we don't know ;)

Commissario
I haven't read Shogun, but I read Tai Pan and the other books set in Hong Kong, and I'm pretty sure they aren't related to this?
Tai-Pan is the second book of the Asian Saga and it's not a sequel, it's just the next book in the series. I seem to recall there are one or two very minor references back to events in Shogun but nothing more than that.

Soldato
Absolutely phenomenal so far, can't wait for the next episode!!!

My only gripe is nothing to do with "show" as such but rather the modern choice of picking what I think are really "bad" camera lenses full of vignetting (dark edges) and the awful attempts at getting decent Bokeh (blurry focus due to shallow depth of field) they bring. The good idea behind its use is to focus the viewer onto a single section of the screen for impact, but as its being used everywhere, constantly, it loses that impact and instead just makes the image on screen look poor.

Man of Honour
I thought this was OK, but it did pick up in the second-half of the second episode. I didn’t find anything about it to be ‘great’.

The English guy is soooooo annoying.

“Ooo darn and blast wot wot it’s six o’ bong - won’t this ****ing Catholic *********** stop being so dastardly pip pip… and why can’t anyone uNnDeuhsTand meeEEEE?!”

Commissario
Who's side is the samurai on? The guy set up the kidnapping?
Kasigi Yabu. He's a git. I may have already said this ;)

and a few f bombs which I doubt were in the novel
There is swearing in the novel, none of that but the word was in usage then so it is historically correct.

All caught up now and really enjoying this interpretation of the book, the pace is moving on nicely.

Soldato
When Lady Mariko is interpreting and speaking to fake Tom Hardy are we meant to presume it's in Portugese but for us viewers it's actually English?? It was referring several times that she was practising her Portugese. Fake Tom said he spoke Portugese so presuming all conversations between the priest guy, Lady Mariko and fake Tom are all in Potugese but for our sake it's English spoken

Associate
When Lady Mariko is interpreting and speaking to fake Tom Hardy are we meant to presume it's in Portugese but for us viewers it's actually English?? It was referring several times that she was practising her Portugese. Fake Tom said he spoke Portugese so presuming all conversations between the priest guy, Lady Mariko and fake Tom are all in Potugese but for our sake it's English spoken
The point about him speaking Portugese had completely gone over my head, so now you point it out that does make a lot more sense as to why they kept referring to it! :o

Caporegime

Yes that's correct. English = Portuguese in Shogun world.

Mariko also knows some Latin. So maybe we'll get some actual Latin at some point. Or English but Latin in Shogun world.

Soldato
Absolutely phenomenal so far, can't wait for the next episode!!!

My only gripe is nothing to do with "show" as such but rather the modern choice of picking what I think are really "bad" camera lenses full of vignetting (dark edges) and the awful attempts at getting decent Bokeh (blurry focus due to shallow depth of field) they bring. The good idea behind its use is to focus the viewer onto a single section of the screen for impact, but as its being used everywhere, constantly, it loses that impact and instead just makes the image on screen look poor.
Oh god yes. Vaseline around the camera lens.... It is very prominent in episode 3 during the ship scenes.

Back
Top Bottom