Shogun

Man of Honour
The English guy is soooooo annoying.

“Ooo darn and blast wot wot it’s six o’ bong - won’t this ****ing Catholic *********** stop being so dastardly pip pip… and why can’t anyone uNnDeuhsTand meeEEEE?!”

… he really ramps up in episode 3 at points. So much herp derp :o :p

Soldato
… he really ramps up in episode 3 at points. So much herp derp :o :p

I treat it as a "style" choice by the actor & director as, whilst to me and you he's speaking English, to the Japanese etc he's actually speaking Portuguese which he's already said he's not great at, which is my "head canon" for why his English is so stilted and odd.

I'm not saying that is actually "the reason" though, its just my interpretation of why his speech pattern could be like that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ep3 Lens talk - BIG OOF :(

Really poor use of "reverse vignetting" for the scenes on the boat (swimming scenes) with the white border looking absolutely terrible. The DOP and Director really need a kicking for allowing this style choice to badly distract from the scenes they've chosen to use them on. Outside of my now usual Lens issues rant, Ep3 was really good for me, lots happening but not just physically (fights etc) but mentally too, watching the leaders dance around with their words and expressions, really good stuff.

Commissario
Really poor use of "reverse vignetting" for the scenes on the boat (swimming scenes) with the white border looking absolutely terrible. The DOP and Director really need a kicking for allowing this style choice to badly distract from the scenes they've chosen to use them on
Didn’t even notice it.

Soldato
@Feek :eek:

kUUgc5j.jpeg

kUrTFFe.jpeg

:D

Commissario
I've just looked back at that part and I still have no issue with it, if anything, it concentrates you on the people who are centre of attention. It's only they who matter, nothing else is of relevance.

Soldato
I found the white blurred edges of the screen to be similar to a cataract simulator, and that distracted me from the people at the centre of my attention. Anyway, lets agree to disagree otherwise we'll be spamming this all day :)

Caporegime
Don't get the hate for the main guy.

Isn't that just the stereotypical British interaction captains and such, would be used to when dealing with people above them etc.

I'm sure I've seen very similar in other media

Last edited:
Commissario
Very much looking forward to this. Waiting for all episodes to be aired, I want to watch it in one or two sittings.
You might get overloaded doing that, it's very intense and requires full concentration due to the subtitles.

Don't get the hate for the main guy.

Isn't that just the stereotypical British interaction captains and such, would be used to when dealing with people above them etc.
Agreed, I think he's playing it well. The original mini-series is one of my favourites and I think they've done a fantastic job here. I rate the original Shogun mini-series up there with Roots (1977) and this new one is so much better than the new adaptation of Roots a few years ago.

Caporegime
Well that got interesting pretty quickly.

Really liked the decision to show the blood and guts from the canon fire after previously not showing the execution in full view.

Caporegime
I've just watched a few episodes but... haven't they goofed a bit with this? They have his logs or whatever from his ship and the young priest noted something about them showing he was a pirate etc..But how does that translator chick read them?

Like surely she speaks Japanese and Portuguese but why would his ship logs be in Portuguese rather than English or Dutch (he's an English navigator/pilot with a Dutch crew and the Captian was Dutch too).

If he's the first English person to reach "the Japans" then how would she know how to read English?

Back
Top Bottom