*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Soldato
Part of the wonder of owning dogs (German Shepherds) for me is the fact that they seem to know exactly what I'm saying to them, they really are a companion.

What's the attraction with a reptile? Can you gain any sort of bond with them or are they more for fascination?

That's something I'd be interested in. I think they look fantastic animals, but the reason I love my dogs(well did, not got any anymore as my last one had to be put down last week) is the interaction I got with them. They do really seem to listen to you, and know what you're saying.

Soldato
Eh? The damn thing needs to eat.

Some snakes you can just plonk it in a seperate tub and let it eat the thing (hell, it just swallows it so its not like it gets messy) while others need it warmed up or chopped up if theyre REALLY picky :p

i get they need to eat, just the thought of them swalling it (and dont you kind still see the shape of it while its being digested?) just seems gross.
if they ate like tinned food wouldnt hesitate, just the thought of feeding it mice/rats seems gross.

Associate
OP
Part of the wonder of owning dogs (German Shepherds) for me is the fact that they seem to know exactly what I'm saying to them, they really are a companion.

What's the attraction with a reptile? Can you gain any sort of bond with them or are they more for fascination?

For me it's more a fascination I suppose, more like having a fishtank than a puppy. I tend not to anthropomorphise my reptiles but this doesn't mean I care for them any less. ;)

Associate
OP
i get they need to eat, just the thought of them swalling it (and dont you kind still see the shape of it while its being digested?) just seems gross.
if they ate like tinned food wouldnt hesitate, just the thought of feeding it mice/rats seems gross.

You can get ground up mice/rats that have been made into sausages....

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/zoological/reptilediet.html

Personally I think it's worse.
Feedingasnakesausage.jpg

Soldato
Don't really understand that question? :p

Google 'furries' (what has been seen... etc.... )

I think the word he was looking for was 'fluffs' - i.e. young mice, bigger than 1 day old baby mice, but not full adults either.

I'll try and get some photos up tonight of Wolverine, 12.5% king cross with Corn snake - currently has 2 sets of large stitches half way along her! :eek:

Associate
OP
oooo i could probably live with that as it doesnt look like a mouse/rat.

what is the best type to go for for a beginner, as in the lowest maintanence and the one thats most human friendly.

Probably a corn snake.

Heres a list of all the colours they come in http://www.ratsnakefoundation.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=13&Itemid=28

If you're genuinely interested in the sausages I think this is the only place they are available in the UK http://www.kiezebrink.co.uk/94-kiezebrink-sausages00126

Last edited:
Permabanned
Eh? The damn thing needs to eat.

Some snakes you can just plonk it in a seperate tub and let it eat the thing (hell, it just swallows it so its not like it gets messy) while others need it warmed up or chopped up if theyre REALLY picky :p

chopped up? which type of snakes prefer chopped up mice and rats lol?

Caporegime

Don't really see anything, just a small lump usually. Not as if you can see the outline of its head and arms sticking out :p

chopped up? which type of snakes prefer chopped up mice and rats lol?

Not many, just some can be extremely picky (ie not many) Some you even need to take out in the car to get their digestive system going ;)

Associate
OP
and how long roughly would 1kg last?

I honestly have no idea. An adult corn snake would normally eat 1-2 30g adult mice every 10-14 days depending on it's size.

It would be best to start on mice and try and switch it over to feeding on the sausages if you really want to go that route.

Associate
OP
Are there any reptiles that are intelligent enough to have a personality like a cat or dog?

Not really. Do bear in mind a lot of the personality traits we perceive in cats and dogs can be explained by fairly simple instinctual responses. People do tend to see what isn't there.

There are some that do have higher intelligence, especially monitors and crocodilians but you probably wouldn't want one of them....

Soldato
I honestly have no idea. An adult corn snake would normally eat 1-2 30g adult mice every 10-14 days depending on it's size.

It would be best to start on mice and try and switch it over to feeding on the sausages if you really want to go that route.

thats not bad at all i dont think. works out at about 33 in a pack, so thats 16 feeds (6-8months if my maths isnt as bad as im starting to think it is).

are they sociable, as in, do they like to come out and be handled?

Caporegime
thats not bad at all i dont think. works out at about 33 in a pack, so thats 16 feeds (6-8months if my maths isnt as bad as im starting to think it is).

Yes mate :)

Naturally you get some that are arsey or flap around when you first get them out, depends how you've handled them when they we're young or how previous owners where etc etc.

best bet is get a Corn hatchling once it's safe to go and start from there really. Start off with a small Vivarium, then upgrade it to a larger one after a year depending on quickly it grows.

Soldato

Very much so.

We take ours to wildlife events, and we've had kids handling them all day long and they're fine about it - as far as we can tell they're happy about it, they never show any aggression or a desire to escape, especially the big yellow corn snake Merkava. He's about 4ft long, buttercorn Corn snake. Pics to follow tonight :)

Soldato
Yes mate :)

Naturally you get some that are arsey or flap around when you first get them out, depends how you've handled them when they we're young or how previous owners where etc etc.

best bet is get a Corn hatchling once it's safe to go and start from there really. Start off with a small Vivarium, then upgrade it to a larger one after a year depending on quickly it grows.

hmm.....ok, i know, this is a picture thread and im just asking questions. i do appoligise.
are these things freely available (would you just go to a pet shop) or is it best to get from someone that has experience in breeding them?
also what sort of outlay is it to get one of these, the tank (or whatever they are called) and all the usual leaves, logs etc. and then the standard rough price for a snake itself?

Back
Top Bottom