*Show us your pet reptiles.....*

Associate
OP
thats not bad at all i dont think. works out at about 33 in a pack, so thats 16 feeds (6-8months if my maths isnt as bad as im starting to think it is).

are they sociable, as in, do they like to come out and be handled?

They don't "like" it as such but with regular handling they will learn there is nothing to fear and become tolerant.

I've owned over 100 snakes over a 5 year period and handled most days and in all that time i've only been bitten by tiny hatchlings which doesn't hurt anyway. It's funny more than anything.

Soldato
Very much so.

We take ours to wildlife events, and we've had kids handling them all day long and they're fine about it - as far as we can tell they're happy about it, they never show any aggression or a desire to escape, especially the big yellow corn snake Merkava. He's about 4ft long, buttercorn Corn snake. Pics to follow tonight :)

oh, now thats pretty big :eek: do they all get that size?

Associate
OP
oh, now thats pretty big :eek: do they all get that size?

They can get to about 6 ft but that's unusual.

They are pretty skinny so it's a lot smaller than it sounds.

Here is my friends blood python
18071_375304265540_533945540_10331469_6996894_n.jpg

and my 4ft corn snake for comparison. Similar lengths. Very different size!
12March-15.jpg

Caporegime
hmm.....ok, i know, this is a picture thread and im just asking questions. i do appoligise.
are these things freely available (would you just go to a pet shop) or is it best to get from someone that has experience in breeding them?
also what sort of outlay is it to get one of these, the tank (or whatever they are called) and all the usual leaves, logs etc. and then the standard rough price for a snake itself?

You can get some hatchlings for under a tenner if you shop around, depending on where you live there are various reptile shops around the country...But you'll probably end up paying £30+ or so just for the snake...Sometimes they go for £60 for a standard Amel or something which is ridiculous.

A small 2/3 ft Viv can be obtained for cheap second hand, again, can be anything up to £50 or so just for the viv, then you need to buy some vegetation for the inside or something (like a vine or two)...They live on substrate in some fashion, so wood-chips or something..Again you need to look around and see whats best :)

The Heat mats can vary, probably pay something like £20 for one, again it will only cover a third of the tank anyway so there is a cool and hot side of the viv. You then need a Heat-Stat of some kind really to keep the temperature constant, something like a pulse-stat would be recommended really.

Yikes, gone off on one there :p

Soldato
You can get some hatchlings for under a tenner if you shop around, depending on where you live there are various reptile shops around the country...But you'll probably end up paying £30+ or so just for the snake...Sometimes they go for £60 for a standard Amel or something which is ridiculous.

A small 2/3 ft Viv can be obtained for cheap second hand, again, can be anything up to £50 or so just for the viv, then you need to buy some vegetation for the inside or something (like a vine or two)...They live on substrate in some fashion, so wood-chips or something..Again you need to look around and see whats best :)

The Heat mats can vary, probably pay something like £20 for one, again it will only cover a third of the tank anyway so there is a cool and hot side of the viv. You then need a Heat-Stat of some kind really to keep the temperature constant, something like a pulse-stat would be recommended really.

so would easily eat into £150-£200. whats the average life expectancy of a snake? do they like to live alone?

Oh, and to just throw it in the mix...Here is a small list of the difference types of corn snakes you can get....

http://iansvivarium.com/morphs/species/elaphe_guttata/

:p

damn there is a lot. and why would you hybrid with a rattlesnake, aint they dangerous?!?

Associate
OP
so would easily eat into £150-£200. whats the average life expectancy of a snake? do they like to live alone?

You can expect 12-15 average for a corn snake but thay have been known to live over 20.

Best to keep them alone though they can be cohabited in female groups but that throws up loads of potential problems.

Caporegime

About ten years or so at a guess? Probably more to be fair

And yes, generally you keep them on their own, although some people do keep them in pairs..But you run the risk of them eating eachother :p

Well...You run that risk anyway with them eating themselves, but its very rare :o

Associate
Thought Id add mine to the collection as well :)

Currently I have 4 bearded dragons (1x female orange phase, 1 male tiger phase) (1x male red phase, 1 female yellow phase). 1x female Rankins Dragon & 2 Leopard Geckos.

Leopard Geckos
CameraZOOM-20120129154412181.jpg

IMG_20120223_074206.jpg

Rankins Dragon
IMG_0184.jpg

Bearded Dragon
Yellow phase female
CameraZOOM-20120123185231654.jpg

Bearded dragon 5' vivarium
IMG_0189.jpg

Permabanned
hmm.....ok, i know, this is a picture thread and im just asking questions. i do appoligise.
are these things freely available (would you just go to a pet shop) or is it best to get from someone that has experience in breeding them?
also what sort of outlay is it to get one of these, the tank (or whatever they are called) and all the usual leaves, logs etc. and then the standard rough price for a snake itself?

Dont worry about it mate.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/ - Awesome UK based forums on all reptiles.You will be able to get any info u want from there if you get chance to look through it.Also you can buy and arrange couriers to drop off snakes/reptiles from other members.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Where do you guys buy your equipment?

I get majority of my stuff from here - http://reptilekeeping.co. uk/

Guys is really helpful and stuff usually arrives next day, cheap too.

Permabanned
whats the average life expectancy of a snake? do they like to live alone?

I don't know about corns, or ball pythons but brb's can live 25 years plus so its a big commitment.And yes they do prefer to live alone but you can house them together however i don't just in-case they try to eat each other.Happens a lot if you house a smaller snake with a bigger/older one.

Back
Top Bottom