Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
I've just downgraded my Sky back to ADSL Unlimited, yes it may only be 11mb now, but things appear fine. Free too, so I'll take that thank you.

I don't game etc.

Only flip side, Windows 2012 ISO took a bit longer to download, but no biggie...

Soldato
YouTube has been a bit sticky for me intermittently over the last month on 22Meg ADSL.

Not sure where the problem lies. It starts off quite quick but can't always buffer the remainder in of the file fast enough. Everything else is fine - XBox live, Netflix, downloads, speedtests etc. Just seems to be YouTube, so I guess it's the backhaul connection to YouTube.

Are you using firefox?

Associate
just had mine fitted this morning! :D went from 2.5mb down and 0.4 up to this! very pleased :)
2787547525.png

Associate
I'm with Sky and only a month into a new 12 month contract (got a good deal). I've been keeping an eye out to find out when I will be able to get fibre. It would appear my exchange has now been upgraded but the Sky website still states I'm not eligible for fibre. Am I best off just ringing up to see when they will be taking orders or if they have any further info? When I spoke to the Sky retentions team last month the lady had no info. My exchange is LCBUR.

the exchange is just one part of the process. Your cab in the street needs to be enabled also. My exchange has been enabled for best part of 18 months now but I still cant get Fibre as the cabinet outside my house has not been done yet.

Associate
the exchange is just one part of the process. Your cab in the street needs to be enabled also. My exchange has been enabled for best part of 18 months now but I still cant get Fibre as the cabinet outside my house has not been done yet.

Thanks for the info. Is there no way of knowing when the cab is to be upgraded? Furthermore is it just the BT kit in the cab that needs to be upgraded or the Sky kit that will be in there too?

Associate
If Sky sort out my account problems to my satisfaction (another story) I will consider upgrading to their fibre broadband. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned an engineer will need access to the telephone master socket (NTE5 - removable faceplate) for installation - I don't have one.

I have an old GPO junction box, with a fixed faceplate socket.

There's also one extension to the upstairs, GPO JB (downstairs) > GPO JB (upstairs) > socket.

Does anyone know what an engineer would do confronted with my installation?

I'd love to have the whole lot ripped out and replaced with new wiring and boxes, but BT refer me to Sky and Sky have no idea what I'm talking about and I can't get past first level support.

Last edited:
Associate
If Sky sort out my account problems to my satisfaction (another story) I will consider upgrading to their fibre broadband. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned an engineer will need access to the telephone master socket (NTE5 - removable faceplate) for installation - I don't have one.

I have an old GPO junction box, with a fixed faceplate socket.

There's also one extension to the upstairs, GPO JB (downstairs) > GPO JB (upstairs) > socket.

Does anyone know what an engineer would do confronted with my installation?

I'd love to have the whole lot ripped out and replaced with new wiring and boxes, but BT refer me to Sky and Sky have no idea what I'm talking about and I can't get past first level support.

If the copper going to the junction box is in good condition the engineer will probably just re-terminate it with a new style master socket, if not he will have to run new copper into your house, but if you are lucky enough you may have had a few pairs run to the house so it’s just a case of him punching them in at the local cab..

nam

nam

Soldato
how is sky fibre ? i am a existing 02 customer and have been given the option of £10 for 6 months plus the 14.50 line rental... Is the Sky fibre stable and reliable ?

Back
Top Bottom