Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
Just checked and my cabinet has now popped up as available so have ordered with sky and its being fitted on the 29th of July, up until Friday it was still saying available march 2014.
One very happy bunny sitting here now!

On a side note I have just phoned up sky because I was a bit unimpressed with the fact that new customers get £10 per month off for the first 6 months and existing customers get nothing and the very nice bloke on the other end of the phone has now given me it free for the first 6 months result!

Soldato
how is sky fibre ? i am a existing 02 customer and have been given the option of £10 for 6 months plus the 14.50 line rental... Is the Sky fibre stable and reliable ?

Plusnet do a better like for like deal. unlimited, and not restricted to 40gb or whatever sky are doing. same price though.

However sky do a very good deal if you stay on adsl and migrate from o2, 12 month contract. £14.50 for line rental AND broadband, not fibre though obviously.

Soldato
Plusnet do a better like for like deal. unlimited, and not restricted to 40gb or whatever sky are doing. same price though.

However sky do a very good deal if you stay on adsl and migrate from o2, 12 month contract. £14.50 for line rental AND broadband, not fibre though obviously.

Sky's is unlimited like its unlimited broadband service

Soldato
Sky's is unlimited like its unlimited broadband service

I spoke to them today, there was a 40gb(or thereabouts) download per month cap on that deal, the plusnet equivalent is the same price plan, but uncapped and unthrottled.
They wanted more money for the uncapped version (essentially doing away with the 6 month discount).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Some confusion over speeds and caps.

Sky's standard Fibre package limits your SPEED to 40 Meg but still has unlimited usage. You need Fibre Pro to uncap the speed side.

Associate
NEW SKY OFFER - Just so you are all aware, Sky are now doing 6 months half price fibre.

My fibre went live last week after upgrading from the standard broadband, but I didn't see the offer. I think the offer just started this week - anyway I phoned up and complained due to how close my live date was and the nice lady on the phone applied the 6 months half price on for me! So if anyone has recently ordered, or have just gone live with Sky, just phone and see if they will add it!

Associate
Hi guys, mind my ignorance, but I would really appreciate some help.
I can't get my new TP link router (N750) connected to it
I called Sky, and OF COURSE they said: "we don't support other routers".

My reply: I know, but I just want the router settings, the username and password.
They didn't give it, and refused to give it.

So I need to know those two details - I've looked a bit online, and it seemed there are generators etc, but can someone give me a nice step by step guide to do this?

PS. The DIFFERENCE between VIRGIN and Sky is simple:
You have a FIBRE connection to YOUR HOME with Virgin (best) and you have a crap ADSL connection to your box, outside your house with sky THEN a fibre connection to the exchange.
Long story short: Sky is misleading customers if you ask me. It isn't a FULLY fibre connection.

As for speeds, they are decent but dismally dropping.
I have 40down and 10up, as advertised, but I'm getting anything between 3mbps to 37mbps DOWN and around 6-8mbps UP.

If I had known about the connection type and the fact that you are pretty much locked to what I call a potato router, then I would have never gone for Sky "fibre".

FYI:
The router has 150mbps connection with ONLY 100 on the Ethernet ports. HORRIBLE for a 21st century router

Soldato
Hi guys, mind my ignorance, but I would really appreciate some help.
I can't get my new TP link router (N750) connected to it
I called Sky, and OF COURSE they said: "we don't support other routers".

My reply: I know, but I just want the router settings, the username and password.
They didn't give it, and refused to give it.

So I need to know those two details - I've looked a bit online, and it seemed there are generators etc, but can someone give me a nice step by step guide to do this?

You need to use Wireshark or similar to sniff the DHCP discover packet to get your username and password from the Sky Hub. There's a guide on skyuser somewhere I think.

Your router has to have a field for DHCP Client ID to enter the username and password - most don't have this so won't work. It is possible to use your own router though, I use an Apple Airport Extreme.

PS. The DIFFERENCE between VIRGIN and Sky is simple:
You have a FIBRE connection to YOUR HOME with Virgin (best) and you have a crap ADSL connection to your box, outside your house with sky THEN a fibre connection to the exchange.
Long story short: Sky is misleading customers if you ask me. It isn't a FULLY fibre connection.

This is not true at all. With Virgin Media you get COAX cable to your house (not fibre) and actually with FTTC the fibre gets much closer to your house than it does with cable. DOCSIS (cable) broadband has its own issues too and has inherent capacity problems especially in areas with heavy users.

I know that Virgin are slowly upgrading their network and adding more channels but before I moved house in December I had Virgin 100/10 broadband and that was provisioned via 4x50Mbit downstreams and 1x20Mbit upstream. The channels are shared between potentially a few hundred customers, and when one user can use half of the available bandwidth in each direction to themselves it's pretty nasty.

Associate
You need to use Wireshark or similar to sniff the DHCP discover packet to get your username and password from the Sky Hub. There's a guide on skyuser somewhere I think.

Your router has to have a field for DHCP Client ID to enter the username and password - most don't have this so won't work. It is possible to use your own router though, I use an Apple Airport Extreme.

This is not true at all. With Virgin Media you get COAX cable to your house (not fibre) and actually with FTTC the fibre gets much closer to your house than it does with cable. DOCSIS (cable) broadband has its own issues too and has inherent capacity problems especially in areas with heavy users.

I know that Virgin are slowly upgrading their network and adding more channels but before I moved house in December I had Virgin 100/10 broadband and that was provisioned via 4x50Mbit downstreams and 1x20Mbit upstream. The channels are shared between potentially a few hundred customers, and when one user can use half of the available bandwidth in each direction to themselves it's pretty nasty.

thanks for the fast reply, but I think I hit a dead end.
The guides on the internet suggest I need a router with PPPoA capabilities.
But the TP LINK N750, doesn't have that ability (confirmed with a phone call to tech support at TP LINK).

I got my sky username and password, from a generator though.

I find the fact that Sky are hiding the username and password extremely disappointing, thinking of leaving them before my 28 days probation period with them.

Is there any solution around this?
I can't seem to get my head around that Sky doesn't provide the username and pass.
I can print screen parts of the TP LINK router settings

Soldato
thanks for the fast reply, but I think I hit a dead end.
The guides on the internet suggest I need a router with PPPoA capabilities.
But the TP LINK N750, doesn't have that ability (confirmed with a phone call to tech support at TP LINK).

PPPoA is for ADSL connections. With Sky Fibre the IP gets assigned by DHCP and you have to put the username and password into the DHCP Client ID field for it to be given a lease.

I got my sky username and password, from a generator though.

As far as I am aware there is no generator for the SR101 hub.

I find the fact that Sky are hiding the username and password extremely disappointing, thinking of leaving them before my 28 days probation period with them.

They are a mass market ISP and want to simplify things and reduce support costs so I can fully see why they do it. If you know how to get the username and password you obviously know what you're doing and understand that they won't help you out. I did read somewhere that they are planning to allow people to use their own routers in the future though.

I suggest that you stick with it - their actual network is pretty good and I get full speed all the time, plus ~7ms pings to the BBC/Akamai etc.

Associate
PPPoA is for ADSL connections. With Sky Fibre the IP gets assigned by DHCP and you have to put the username and password into the DHCP Client ID field for it to be given a lease.

As far as I am aware there is no generator for the SR101 hub.

They are a mass market ISP and want to simplify things and reduce support costs so I can fully see why they do it. If you know how to get the username and password you obviously know what you're doing and understand that they won't help you out. I did read somewhere that they are planning to allow people to use their own routers in the future though.

I suggest that you stick with it - their actual network is pretty good and I get full speed all the time, plus ~7ms pings to the BBC/Akamai etc.

this is the one I used:
http://www.ph-mb.com/products/sky-calc

The router you said isn't the same one as listed. I thought the 2504 was the current one?

I also appreciate the info given by you!

Soldato
No, the 2504 is old - the SR101 is the current Sky Hub and looks like this:

SkyHub.png_159158611.png

Associate
You can get your username and password for any Sky router, the SR101 is the most difficult as there's no calculator but it is possible - I've done it!

even if I get my username and password, which I would like to know how (paybe via PM if possible?)

How would I then enter it into my TPLINK router?
I looked online, spend a lot of time reading, still doesn't really make sense, as you correctly pointed out they are ADSL connections and furthermore they are all pretty much using the old router

Back
Top Bottom