Smartwatch Thread (news/apps/updates)

Soldato
right, since you've got the watch, can anyone tell me what happens when the phone isn't there, can you still get calendar alerts on the phone?
(and has anyone attempted to use the turn by turn navigation?)

Man of Honour
PowerAmp does indeed work out of the box but once the devs update it with Wear support I guess we will see more pages in the pull up page on the watch where we can maybe cycle playlists, browse songs and control more functions instead of the basic skip/play/pause etc. Album art additions would be neat too :)

I did use it in the car for a bit as my phone is paired with the car and didn't have too much trouble. Initial pairing hiccups but I am using CyanogenMod so that was to be expected in some instances and not worth mentioning that in the review as it won't apply to most people.

I like it but initially could not see the point. only after using it a few days straight I realised what is possible once app developers start enabling Wear features. We're on the right path. I wouldn't buy a gen 1 Wear watch though, maybe Gen 2 or 3 because I can see it maturing nicely there but those who want the latest toys should certainly give it a look and at £159 it's not a huge bank breaker either.

right, since you've got the watch, can anyone tell me what happens when the phone isn't there, can you still get calendar alerts on the phone?
(and has anyone attempted to use the turn by turn navigation?)

Anything that was on the watch that had not been dealt with remains on the screen as the usual cards until you swipe them away. The icon appears top right to denote you're disconnected from a paired phone and you won't be able to do anything online until you reconnect. The Android Wear app on the phone remains in the system tray looping the notifications and Wear apps sort of like a push sync. It's Bluetooth 4.0 so doesn't consume much battery either on the local side of things.

Soldato
I'd love to grab one but it's a bit of pricey tech isn't it, mind you, these fitness bands cost only a little less but these perform the same function and miles more. I see they can now run all Android apps as long as they don't require internet.

Jezz, that does look big on your wrist!

Soldato
My unboxing of the Gear Live -

I was disappointed how poor the watch screen came out, so very quickly did a Features video -

I'm loving mine so far. It directed me to the local Post Office, using voice activation and then on screen directions. I even managed to reply to two text messages while I was walking, just one error in voice dictation.

Caporegime
PowerAmp does indeed work out of the box but once the devs update it with Wear support I guess we will see more pages in the pull up page on the watch where we can maybe cycle playlists, browse songs and control more functions instead of the basic skip/play/pause etc. Album art additions would be neat too :)

I did use it in the car for a bit as my phone is paired with the car and didn't have too much trouble. Initial pairing hiccups but I am using CyanogenMod so that was to be expected in some instances and not worth mentioning that in the review as it won't apply to most people.

I like it but initially could not see the point. only after using it a few days straight I realised what is possible once app developers start enabling Wear features. We're on the right path. I wouldn't buy a gen 1 Wear watch though, maybe Gen 2 or 3 because I can see it maturing nicely there but those who want the latest toys should certainly give it a look and at £159 it's not a huge bank breaker either.

Anything that was on the watch that had not been dealt with remains on the screen as the usual cards until you swipe them away. The icon appears top right to denote you're disconnected from a paired phone and you won't be able to do anything online until you reconnect. The Android Wear app on the phone remains in the system tray looping the notifications and Wear apps sort of like a push sync. It's Bluetooth 4.0 so doesn't consume much battery either on the local side of things.

Does it work fine when paired to the car, as in it can pair to your HU and you can change tracks via the watch?

Never even knew you could pair to two devices.

Soldato

cheers, think i'll hold off for the now... problem is - i like watches and the lg one looks great imo!!

Man of Honour
Does it work fine when paired to the car, as in it can pair to your HU and you can change tracks via the watch?

Never even knew you could pair to two devices.

No it pairs to an Android smartphone running the Android Wear application!

cheers, think i'll hold off for the now... problem is - i like watches and the lg one looks great imo!!

I'll stick to my mechanical watches :D

Soldato
samsung looks quite good :) I do like the LG but the shape is a bit meh, had the moto actv ages ago and that was a similar shape to the LG which used to catch on a lot of things.

samsung on the other hand looks quite slim! but I'm still waiting for moto 360 before I make my mind up.

Man of Honour
I'd love one, but the fact it only lasts a day is of no use to me.

The Pebble which has been out for a while can last up to 7 days - but of course it isn't and android device.

Associate
My G Watch arrived on Friday and after a few days use I would say that mrk's review and comments are spot on.

It is certainly a nice step up from my old Sony SW2 (apart from the 2-3 day battery on the Sony) and Android Wear at this early stage shows plenty of promise however the screens and batteries in these first gen devices are still not quite there yet. It will be interesting to see what Motorola, Asus and HTC bring to the table in the coming months and what Samsung/LG come up with for gen 2.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I agree. I think the watch is great though and have found I'm hardly using my phone anywhere near as much now as I can just quickly glance down at the watch to see if it's an important message that's just come through. I think it's really going to help the battery life on my phone.

There's little things I really like about it though, like being able to not put a passcode in when the watch is near (third party app) as well as having map directions on it etc which is handy when walking about town.

Also, just being able to set a quick timer is useful and reminders. Due to the fact it's right on the wrist it makes some things that bit more accesible and therefore useful which means I actually use them.

Looking forward to the next gen units already, there's a lot of potential.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd love one, but the fact it only lasts a day is of no use to me.

The Pebble which has been out for a while can last up to 7 days - but of course it isn't and android device.

This, one day just isn't useable.

Hopefully the Moto360 is 2-3 days but then I doubt it. Realisticly I'd want a week. But then if it's wireless and I can get a bedside pad for both my phone and watch then it may be OK.

Soldato
This, one day just isn't useable.

Hopefully the Moto360 is 2-3 days but then I doubt it. Realisticly I'd want a week. But then if it's wireless and I can get a bedside pad for both my phone and watch then it may be OK.

looking at the latest leaks moto 360 is going to cost 2x the price of LG and sammy.. :eek:

Soldato
So I've been using the watch all day today and I have to say what's impressed me more is that my phone (HTC One M8) was sitting at 71% as I left work at 5pm tonight. Been off charge since 6:45am and used for music and browsing in the morning and then at lunch. Other than that a glance down at the watch told me all I needed.

Watch is currently sitting at 56% battery but that's more to the point that I've messed about with it more than I normally would i.e once the it becomes a standard part and not to be messed around with haha!

Overall I can see this working wonders for my phone battery life and it's just sooooooooo handy in work as the Mobile Phone's are a no no :p

Back
Top Bottom