Spec my wife a small car please.

Commissario
OP
There hasn't been any mention of the age of the grandchildren but a tall driver isn't going to be leaving oodles of room in the back of an Aygo or other similar. Even toddler age can be a problem once they get withing seat kicking range!
There's one grandchild who is only 18 months old at the moment and he goes in a seat behind the passenger.

Jazz seems to be the way forward here, looking on auto trader, the sort of money she's hoping to spend is bringing up nearly ten year old cars :(

It's the same for anything really, this is just the terrible market for car buyers at the moment, isn't it?

Soldato
Yes, the current car market is painful. I've added 60k in mileage to my car since buying it and somehow its worth the same now as when I bought it!

Is age particularly important for you guys? Given the incredibly low mileage you do, and lack of any specified requirement for certain levels of equipment/technology, a low mileage bit older example might be a decent compromise.

Commissario
OP
"It is not a blanket decision on the brand: only Honda Jazz SE models, made between 2001 and 2008, are affected because of the type of catalytic converter they have."

It won't be that old.

Is age particularly important for you guys? Given the incredibly low mileage you do, and lack of any specified requirement for certain levels of equipment/technology, a low mileage bit older example might be a decent compromise.
Fair point.

Soldato
wouldn't you consider a yaris too - I've not driven one with their auto gearbox, just manual 64, their visibility is great, rides&mpg fine.

cvt gearbox in yaris might need more maintenance than traditional auto w/torqueconvertor in corsa , if, that shares same auto gearbox as Astra a relation has.

Associate
I read first two lines and thought Honda jazz (looking for one for a friends mum and the prices are £££, though then what isn't) but yes it is a terrible market!

The other car they were looking at was a Nissan Note, which may be too big. Micra?

I seen a few people mention Aygo, are they not those Automatic manuals (AMT)? I like Toyota, but I would steer clear of any automatic manuals and stick with Torque converter/CVT regardless of make.

I would be looking at Micra/Yaris

Soldato
My wife's 54 plate Corsa is finally on the way out and we're looking for a replacement.

She doesn't like driving and she's not a confident driver. She manages, just.

She uses it to drive to and from work, doing about four miles in total per day, occasionally she'll go to the nearest big town which is about 7 miles away.

She wants a small car, one which "I can park easily, see all four corners and not struggle to get in and out of". It has be five door so she can get into the back seats for putting the grandchild in without struggling. She's quite tall at over 6ft but has managed well enough in the Corsa. She's also had a Micra and a Justy in the past.

Because of the sort of journeys she does, it needs to be petrol and it also needs to be automatic because her arthritis is getting worse and any joint strain we can relieve is good.

Budget around £7,000, up to £8,000 maximum.

Any suggestions as to what we should be looking at please?

Thanks.
Zoe has to be a contender there, ticks all boxes and EVs are just so easy to drive
I know op said needs to be petrol due to type of driving but EV is perfect for that.. just not diesel.
if she wants petrol that is a different argument but certainly does not need to be.

Last edited:
Caporegime
wow someone sat on a stick ! I assumed you meant couldn't be diesel!. so what type of driving does she do which means it needs to be petrol for 4-7 mile journeys?

Maybe he doesn't have a charger available?

You EV fanboys are getting a bit cult like tbh, if he doesn't want an EV he doesn't want an EV, why does he need to justify it :confused:

Commissario
OP
I know op said needs to be petrol due to the type of driving but that doesn't make sense imo.
if she wants petrol that is a diffe

so what type of driving does she do which means it needs to be petrol for 4-7 mile journeys?

We don’t have a drive. We don’t have a guaranteed parking space. Charging a car here is not possible.

When I say it has to be petrol, this is not negotiable.

Soldato
Maybe he doesn't have a charger available?

You EV fanboys are getting a bit cult like tbh, if he doesn't want an EV he doesn't want an EV, why does he need to justify it :confused:
not at all the OP was unclear. it was quite possible he hadn't considered an EV and just meant it couldn't be diesel. My uncle was miss sold.a diesel and gave him no end of issues)
if he doesn't want an EV that is fine however I was just genuinely trying to help... as was the other person who also suggested an EV.

a simple "no we don't want an EV" is fine.

and no I am not a "fanboy" in a cult or evangelist or what ever other derogatory term you want to use.

Last edited:
Associate
There's one grandchild who is only 18 months old at the moment and he goes in a seat behind the passenger.

Jazz seems to be the way forward here, looking on auto trader, the sort of money she's hoping to spend is bringing up nearly ten year old cars :(

It's the same for anything really, this is just the terrible market for car buyers at the moment, isn't it?

Yep this amount of money seems to get very little these days.

It's a rather strange market, however that said prices have dropped significantly since last year

Associate
I second the Nissan Note, I have a 2014 model (automatic petrol). It's small, easy to park, it's a little taller internally than other cars so I find it very comfortable.

£35 tax, real world MPG for me is 30-32, although this includes hoofing it up the motorway at 70mph (or thereabouts ;)) so you'll probably get better.

Repairs are cheap, tyres are cheap, etc.

Caporegime
a simple "no we don't want an EV" is fine.

Did none of these work then:

it needs to be petrol

If we wanted an EV, I wouldn't have said it needs to be petrol.

I don't think they do or they wouldn't have specified just petrol.

Yet you still pushed an EV:

Zoe has to be a contender there, ticks all boxes and EVs are just so easy to drive
I know op said needs to be petrol due to type of driving but EV is perfect for that.. just not diesel.
if she wants petrol that is a different argument but certainly does not need to be.

Then when he made it a bit blunt because you weren't getting the message, you posted this:

wow someone sat on a stick ! I assumed you meant couldn't be diesel!. so what type of driving does she do which means it needs to be petrol for 4-7 mile journeys?

if charging is an issue fair enough but no need to be snarky.

This is why it gets tedious reading these pro-EV posts. You're not on to some top secret technology that the world is yet to wake up to, we're well aware that they exist. We can't open a thread in Motors without one of the pro-EV brigage trying to convince everyone that they're the future and if anyone says they don't want one they are faced with a million questions to try and convince them. This isn't just aimed at you btw, there are a few on here incapable of understanding that sometimes people just want what they want and no amount of convincing will change that.

Back
Top Bottom