Spec my wife a small car please.

Soldato
Fiestas seem to be decent ages and spec in the 7-8k range

I wouldn't, the 1.0 ecoboost engine is a lottery at this age / price point. Very dependent on service history and luck. I'm in the Facebook group and with multiple cars needing a new engine each week and aftermarket warranties not covering under wear and tear exclusion.

Soldato
When you look up Jazzes on AT, there are a lot of write-offs. That can't be a good sign.

I wouldn't buy an ecoboom Fiesta. The ST might be ok, but not the regular ones. When Ford went "eco", they went unreliable as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't buy an ecoboom Fiesta. The ST might be ok, but not the regular ones. When Ford went "eco", they went unreliable as well.

Yea me neither, but not all Fiesta's have that engine, Mrs has a Mk7 Fiesta with a 1.4 n/a petrol engine, it's a great car, 96 horsepower, done over 100k now, never broken down other than a flat battery once.

Reckon it'll do another 100k if the rust doesn't get it first.

Soldato
Yea me neither, but not all Fiesta's have that engine, Mrs has a Mk7 Fiesta with a 1.4 n/a petrol engine, it's a great car, 96 horsepower, done over 100k now, never broken down other than a flat battery once.

Reckon it'll do another 100k if the rust doesn't get it first.

The earlier ones still had duratec engines, which were better. The Mk6 Fiestas are worth a look as well.

Man of Honour
Wait for the Cybertruck in the UK so you can get up over the curb/grass etc. I think if you really must have an EV it's the only way you'll manage to without a drive.

:edit: real talk, car prices are bad but they have had a correction recently, so it could be worse :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
to some people a car is just a tool to get from A to B, if it's cheap, reliable and practical enough for what its needed for everything else is irrelevant. the people on this forum (including myself to a point) are a minority.
I can't argue against that tbh
Yep, I appreciate cars (not exactly flashy but used to have a DC2) but for me/this point in my life cars are just like white goods.

Soldato
...just wish white goods cars still had white goods pricing.

Only had a 3rd gen Jazz as a courtesy car, inoffensive thing and plenty of space for the segment (Honda are usually pretty good at this). The CVT was not something I enjoyed mind but not like I had the car long enough to "learn to live with it".

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
It turns out that I know the man that the dealer uses to do all his prep and servicing work. When I had the doors on my Focus replaced, this chap did them and I also bought my horrible 407 from him. It’s a small world.

We took the Jazz for a test drive today, very smooth, very clean and all seemed good. I was concerned that the i-shift transmission would be a bit iffy but it worked very well. My wife (who’s never driven an auto before) also had a drive and was perfectly happy with it. At the first set of lights I pulled up at, I thought the engine had stop-start but no, it was still running but just incredibly quiet.

We’ve put a deposit down. It’ll go to the aforementioned place to have a service and another friend of mine who has his own garage opposite will have a good look as well to make sure it’s all OK.

So thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Associate
Sounds pretty similar to my Mum, she has never liked driving but acknowledges it as a necessary evil. Last 4 cars (in order), Jazz, Yaris, Fiesta, Aygo. All fit the bill so take your pick.

Man of Honour
It took a lot of convincing to get my mum to move from a manual to auto when buying the jazz. Now she is adamant she would never go back to a manual. Funny that.

Happens with a lot of people, I think the state of traffic on our roads today helps the transition a bit though, we swapped our work vans for automatics and at first quite a few were up in arms, now most wouldn't go back and some are thinking of going automatic for their next car or have already done so.

Commissario
OP
Happens with a lot of people, I think the state of traffic on our roads today helps the transition a bit though, we swapped our work vans for automatics and at first quite a few were up in arms, now most wouldn't go back and some are thinking of going automatic for their next car or have already done so.
I got my first auto in 2013 when my Focus died and the only vaguely suitable car I could get was the 407 auto. I'd always said I'd never have one but I wouldn't go back to manual now.

You never forget how to drive manual though, my wife's Corsa that we're about to scrap is manual, my daughter has a manual and I can get into any car and drive it without even having to think about what I'm doing.

One thing I learned from a very early age (in a company car) is how to change gear without using the clutch and that's still second nature to me as well, it's so easy to match engine speed and just slip it in without any grinding or graunching, going either up or down the box.

Soldato
Wait for the Cybertruck in the UK so you can get up over the curb/grass etc. I think if you really must have an EV it's the only way you'll manage to without a drive.

:edit: real talk, car prices are bad but they have had a correction recently, so it could be worse :p

I doubt the current Cyber Truck will ever make it to Europe. It's basically a thing in America because they have a lot less safety regs for commercial vehicles including trucks. It's also so heavy you can drive it on a car license. Although that could probably be fudged just by reducing it's stated payload.

Back
Top Bottom