Split Air con

RJC

RJC

Don
Fair enough, thanks. I guess they're generally all doing the same thing, the same way... The new quote is almost 1k cheaper though, under 4k, so will probably go with the Daikin.

I fitted a Emura model to a colleagues Cinema room a few years back and seemed to perform well and looked good - They went for the black model.

Either one you be Happy :)

Soldato
I've got 3 quotes but I'm struggling to work out the difference between the units and what I'm getting, does any of the below mean anything to anyone in terms of the quality of the units:

Quote 1 - £5504
Outdoor Unit - Mitsubishi MXZ-3F68VF3
Bedroom - Mitsubishi MSZ-AP20VGK
Office - Mitsubishi MSZ-AP15VGK
Kitchen - Mitsubishi MSZ-AP50VGK
7yr warranty, apparently comes with WiFi / app

Quote 2 - £6298
Outdoor Unit - Daikin 3MXM68A
Bedroom - Daikin FTXA20
Office - Daikin CTXA15
Kitchen - Daikin FTXA50

Quote 3 - £5560
Outdoor Unit - Daikin 5MXM90A9
Bedroom - Daikin FTXM25R
Office - Daikin FTXM25R
Kitchen - FTXM50R
3yr warranty, installer wasn't sure on the exact features (WiFi / app) but websites seem to mention it?

Quote 1 and 2 are from the same supplier who are well recommended, the units seem smaller than Quote 3 who is also recommended and came across well but less of a warranty.

I just can't really tell if any of the quotes are for muc better equipment than the others, or is it all pretty much the same - likely to cool us and an app that'll do the job?

Any thoughts on the above?

A quick Google for each unit to get rough prices seems to suggest that quote 3 is much more expensive gear. I still can't work out why the stuff in quote 3 is any better though? It could easily just be more expensive as it's old gear and therefor no decent pricing.....

QuoteRoomBrandModelCostTotalQuoteInstallation Costs
1​
OutdoorMitsubishiMXZ-3F68VF3
£1,713.00​
1​
KitchenMitsubishiMSZ-AP50VGK
£465.00​
1​
BedroomMitsubishiMSZ-AP20VGK
£362.00​
1​
OfficeMitsubishiMSZ-AP15VGK
£338.00​
£2,878.00​
£5,504.00​
£2,626.00​
2​
OutdoorDaikin3MXM68A
£2,038.00​
2​
KitchenDaikinFTXA50
£923.00​
2​
BedroomDaikinFTXA20
£433.00​
2​
OfficeDaikinCTXA15
£503.00​
£3,897.00​
£6,298.00​
£2,401.00​
3​
OutdoorDaikin5MXM90A9
£3,233.00​
3​
KitchenDaikinFTXM50R
£587.00​
3​
BedroomDaikinFTXM25R
£354.00​
3​
OfficeDaikinFTXM25R
£354.00​
£4,528.00​
£5,560.00​
£1,032.00​

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got 3 quotes but I'm struggling to work out the difference between the units and what I'm getting, does any of the below mean anything to anyone in terms of the quality of the units:

Are you in a expensive area or anything particularly difficult with your install? The first two seem very expensive compared to other quotes and the 3rd seems a little cheap?

Does anyone use their air con for heating, instead of gas central heating? The ability to heat just the space I'm in at any point is advantageous. I'm debating whether to just get the bedroom covered or the office and lounge too and the heating side would tip the balance.

Soldato
Are you in a expensive area or anything particularly difficult with your install? The first two seem very expensive compared to other quotes and the 3rd seems a little cheap?

We're in Surrey so a very expensive area and the kitchen unit is about 15m away from the outdoor unit (bedroom is <1m and office around 5m) so it's probably a decent amount of work in terms of pipe runs.

Soldato
We're in Surrey so a very expensive area and the kitchen unit is about 15m away from the outdoor unit (bedroom is <1m and office around 5m) so it's probably a decent amount of work in terms of pipe runs.

It might make sense to have 2 outside units in that case (particularly with the high output for the kitchen.)

Soldato
Has anyone installed a unit that doesn't require an external unit? I've had portable units for years which do this, sure a bit noisier and I expect not as efficient, but must be possible, right?

I considered it but the compressor adds heat in the room, they exhaust hot air which means they force hot ambient air back in the room from the environment and are noisier. There are some units that take air in from outside but they don't appear to be a thing in this country. I've seen a few interesting looking units that use water to take the heat outside at work, but they are so noisy and expensive they are not worth considering imo.

Soldato
It might make sense to have 2 outside units in that case (particularly with the high output for the kitchen.)

We looked at having 2 units but the only real location that's out of the way is where we're placing the unit now. If we place an outdoor unit near to where the kitchen unit is going then it'll ruin the look of our new patio and garden.

I'm gong to go with quote 3 as it seems fine in terms of value and products.

Soldato

Quote 1 - £5504
Outdoor Unit - Mitsubishi MXZ-3F68VF3
Bedroom - Mitsubishi MSZ-AP20VGK
Office - Mitsubishi MSZ-AP15VGK
Kitchen - Mitsubishi MSZ-AP50VGK

Quote 2 - £6298
Outdoor Unit - Daikin 3MXM68A
Bedroom - Daikin FTXA20
Office - Daikin CTXA15
Kitchen - Daikin FTXA50

Quote 3 - £5560
Outdoor Unit - Daikin 5MXM90A9
Bedroom - Daikin FTXM25R
Office - Daikin FTXM25R
Kitchen - FTXM50R
3yr warranty, installer wasn't sure on the exact features (WiFi / app) but websites seem to mention it?

Quote 1 and 2 are from the same supplier who are well recommended, the units seem smaller than Quote 3 who is also recommended and came across well but less of a warranty.

I just can't really tell if any of the quotes are for muc better equipment than the others, or is it all pretty much the same - likely to cool us and an app that'll do the job?

A quick Google for each unit to get rough prices seems to suggest that quote 3 is much more expensive gear. I still can't work out why the stuff in quote 3 is any better though? It could easily just be more expensive as it's old gear and therefor no decent pricing.....

QuoteRoomBrandModelCostTotalQuoteInstallation Costs
1​
OutdoorMitsubishiMXZ-3F68VF3
£1,713.00​
1​
KitchenMitsubishiMSZ-AP50VGK
£465.00​
1​
BedroomMitsubishiMSZ-AP20VGK
£362.00​
1​
OfficeMitsubishiMSZ-AP15VGK
£338.00​
£2,878.00​
£5,504.00​
£2,626.00​
2​
OutdoorDaikin3MXM68A
£2,038.00​
2​
KitchenDaikinFTXA50
£923.00​
2​
BedroomDaikinFTXA20
£433.00​
2​
OfficeDaikinCTXA15
£503.00​
£3,897.00​
£6,298.00​
£2,401.00​
3​
OutdoorDaikin5MXM90A9
£3,233.00​
3​
KitchenDaikinFTXM50R
£587.00​
3​
BedroomDaikinFTXM25R
£354.00​
3​
OfficeDaikinFTXM25R
£354.00​
£4,528.00​
£5,560.00​
£1,032.00​

The Daikin model number the first part is how many indoor units can be fitted to it. Quote 2 can have ‘3’ and quote 3 can have ‘5’. First number for the Mitsu is how many ports so 3. The second number is the duty of the system. So around a 7kw for the mitsu, daikin ones are basically the same, 7kw and 9kw. The last digit is the which software/pcb is on it.

So quote 1 and 2 are basically the same system but from different manufacturers, at that price I’d go for the mitsi every day of the week.

Then the fun strange part starts, quote 3 is basically the bigger brother of quote 2. Youre getting a bigger unit in the bed 2.5kw v 2kw and the office youre getting a 2.5kw v 1.5kw - the model is slightly different because the 1.5kw is so small it’s a different style of unit.

The difference in warranty is down to the first company being BS partner with ME and D1 partners with Daikin.

Soldato
The Daikin model number the first part is how many indoor units can be fitted to it. Quote 2 can have ‘3’ and quote 3 can have ‘5’. First number for the Mitsu is how many ports so 3. The second number is the duty of the system. So around a 7kw for the mitsu, daikin ones are basically the same, 7kw and 9kw. The last digit is the which software/pcb is on it.

So quote 1 and 2 are basically the same system but from different manufacturers, at that price I’d go for the mitsi every day of the week.

Then the fun strange part starts, quote 3 is basically the bigger brother of quote 2. Youre getting a bigger unit in the bed 2.5kw v 2kw and the office youre getting a 2.5kw v 1.5kw - the model is slightly different because the 1.5kw is so small it’s a different style of unit.

The difference in warranty is down to the first company being BS partner with ME and D1 partners with Daikin.

Thanks, that's really helpful.

So from everything you've said, Q3 looks to be a winner. It's Daikin which seems to be well recommended, it's within a £100 of the cheapest Mitsubishi quote and it has the best / biggest units / parts. I understand now that the warranty is less as the installer isn't part of the partner scheme but I don't feel that it is too much of a concern.

Soldato
Just to throw a spanner into the works

Bigger does not equal better.

The units should be correctly sized for the heat loss/gain. If they are oversized they will cycle constantly and as a result use more energy - a lot more.

Associate
Have had a couple quotes but this seems to be the most balanced of the lot. Daikin system.

AreaEquipment
Outside3MXM52A9 5.2kW 3-Way Multi Series R32 Condensing Unit
IndoorFTXM25R 2.5kW Perfera Wall Mounted Unit
IndoorFTXM20R 2.0kW Perfera Wall Mounted Unit
IndoorCTXM15R 1.5kW Perfera Wall Mounted Unit

5 year warranty (condition that annual maintenance is done).
Total Price (zero VAT): £4,900 + ~£300 for power and trunking, so call it £5,200 total.

Have had slightly cheaper quotes for Panasonic and Mitsu installs but prefer the Daikin features. Compared to other quotes that I've seen here, seems to be medium/medium-high in terms of pricing.

Any relevant thoughts would be appreciated.

Soldato
Just to throw a spanner into the works

Bigger does not equal better.

The units should be correctly sized for the heat loss/gain. If they are oversized they will cycle constantly and as a result use more energy - a lot more.

The kitchen unit is covering about 35sqm but with no doors to shut off to the upstairs so that feels fine.

The bedroom is about 22sqm and the office is about 18sqm so I think all 3 quotes are probably okay for these areas.

Soldato
But this is what I don't really get. I've been doing it for maybe 15+ years and it's been fine, so just having an outlet set into the wall and fixing the unit to the wall shouldn't make that much difference?
It'll make it easier to vent the hot air, but understand the big downside of the portable units is that venting the hot air out also means replacement air needs drawing in from somewhere. This is usually through cracks/from other rooms which means more heat which means more energy (over and above how inefficient that are in the first place) used to cool. Proper split units send the heat away through refrigerant pipes and so don't have this downside.

Associate
Hi all,

I've had 3 quotes for an install in an insulated garden office - around 3m x 3m x3m.

Any recommendations as to which would be best in terms of performance and reliability? The quotes vary from small independent provider, to nationwide. Ideally want to keep costs and noise down, but I am not clear on how much real world difference there will be in the outdoor noise if the external unit is 47dB vs 55dB or 60dB.

QuoteUnitTotal Cost
1Mitsubishi SRK25ZSP£ 1,775.00
2Daikin Perfera 3.5KW£ 1,900.00
3Bosch Climate 3000i 3.5kW£ 2,300.00

Soldato
Hi all,

I've had 3 quotes for an install in an insulated garden office - around 3m x 3m x3m.

Any recommendations as to which would be best in terms of performance and reliability? The quotes vary from small independent provider, to nationwide. Ideally want to keep costs and noise down, but I am not clear on how much real world difference there will be in the outdoor noise if the external unit is 47dB vs 55dB or 60dB.

QuoteUnitTotal Cost
1Mitsubishi SRK25ZSP£ 1,775.00
2Daikin Perfera 3.5KW£ 1,900.00
3Bosch Climate 3000i 3.5kW£ 2,300.00

I think the difference between 45dB and 55dB is roughly double - it's a scale so every 10dB is a doubling of sound volume.

Back
Top Bottom