Split Air con

Man of Honour
I've been servicing my air con units with Sub Cool for the last 2 years but i'm wondering if its actually worth doing. What do you guys do?

Hoovered it out, although at some point I’ll have to deal with the mould in one of our units. They are pretty reliable and if they break it’ll be cheaper to replace a unit than pay for servicing with London prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hoovered it out, although at some point I’ll have to deal with the mould in one of our units. They are pretty reliable and if they break it’ll be cheaper to replace a unit than pay for servicing with London prices.
I've had mine serviced a few times now. They mentioned the fan needed changing next time as it was covered in dust/mould etc. I had a look and it was disgusting. I've seen videos where the AC companies take them out, give them a good blast with water/detergent then once dry put them back in like brand new.

I ended up buying some very small bottle brushes and cleaned it thoroughly myself, also did one of my other rooms as it was quite bad. Not sure I will bother with getting it serviced this time as they don't really do anything.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've had mine serviced a few times now. They mentioned the fan needed changing next time as it was covered in dust/mould etc. I had a look and it was disgusting. I've seen videos where the AC companies take them out, give them a good blast with water/detergent then once dry put them back in like brand new.

I ended up buying some very small bottle brushes and cleaned it thoroughly myself, also did one of my other rooms as it was quite bad. Not sure I will bother with getting it serviced this time as they don't really do anything.

Last time they serviced ours they hoovered them, that was it.

Soldato
The guys who installed ours service it - was happy to use them as they were just so nice and we were really happy with the install. They appear to clean out the filters on both the indoor and outdoor units plus they then have this spray solution that I think is anti-mould that they run through the indoor units - it smells kinda awful for a day or so afterwards but presumably it is doing something worthwhile

Soldato
Hi mate, I'm having the same done in my 3 storey side extension.

5 Rooms:
2x medium sized ground floor - 2x Fujitsu wall mounted ASYG09KMCE (2.5kW).
1x large (48SqM) first floor - 1x Fujitsu wall mounted unit ASGY24KMTE (7kW)
1x medium second floor - Fujitsu wall mounted ASYG14KMCE (4kW)
1x medium second floor - Fujitsu wall mounted ASYG12KMCE (3.5kW)

All units except first floor unit will be connected to a single condensing unit AOYG36KBTA5 (9.5kW)
First floor unit connected to a single condensing unit AOYG24KMTA (7.1kw).

Total cost for supply and installation £8250. This is in London as well.

I think you're getting ripped off because most of my units are bigger than yours. I had the same issue with contacting 6-7 companies, and only getting 3 responses and then 2 quotes. But the quotes were £8.25k and £9.5k so not too far off.

His units are Melco though, different ball game.

Soldato
The rule of thumb I have heard is £1k + £1k for each unit, pretty much, and it seems to hold up pretty well most of the time

In our case it was 1 outdoor and 2 indoor units for about £4k

Last edited:
Soldato
Mitsubishi? I wasn't aware there was any major difference in the common brands?

Massive difference. Mitsubishi electric and Daikin blow them out the water. Even common brands such as Samsung use 3 or 4 generation old technology in their latest stuff.

They obviously all work and work similarly like TVs, there’s different tech in side.

Associate
Massive difference. Mitsubishi electric and Daikin blow them out the water. Even common brands such as Samsung use 3 or 4 generation old technology in their latest stuff.

They obviously all work and work similarly like TVs, there’s different tech in side.
So having just had fujitsu installed, what makes you say that? My contractor was quite positive about fujitsu, said he's got them in his own house. The other guy quoted for Daikin, but said that most of the major brands are fairly comparable.

Soldato
So having just had fujitsu installed, what makes you say that? My contractor was quite positive about fujitsu, said he's got them in his own house. The other guy quoted for Daikin, but said that most of the major brands are fairly comparable.

Years of installing, servicing, maintaining and repairing them. :)

Soldato
Amazing, so what would you say are the major differences? And anything to be aware of/keep an eye on?

They don’t really last, there nothing you can really do about that. Spare parts even small simple things tent do go obsolete very quickly. They’re cheaper units so people tend to just replace the unit.

I’ve mentioned it before in this thread but it’s mainly running costs, how well they work, the air off, energy saving is massive now a days and have a superior inverter compressor makes a huge difference. Fans on daikin/mitsi won’t run when not required on cooling not only heating - I’ve not been off the tools for a while so don’t know if Fujitsu (and others) have caught up with that yet. Maybe try it run it on cooling 28° see if the fan runs all the time.

They aren’t as bad as Gree/midea units where it’s a struggle to even buy a remote for them half the time.

Last edited:
Associate
They don’t really last, there nothing you can really do about that. Spare parts even small simple things tent do go obsolete very quickly. They’re cheaper units so people tend to just replace the unit.

I’ve mentioned it before in this thread but it’s mainly running costs, how well they work, the air off, energy saving is massive now a days and have a superior inverter compressor makes a huge difference. Fans on daikin/mitsi won’t run when not required on cooling not only heating - I’ve not been off the tools for a while so don’t know if Fujitsu (and others) have caught up with that yet. Maybe try it run it on cooling 28° see if the fan runs all the time.

They aren’t as bad as Gree/midea units where it’s a struggle to even buy a remote for them half the time.
Out of interest where do Panasonic sit in the mix of them all?

Soldato
Out of interest where do Panasonic sit in the mix of them all?

Same tier as all the common brands.

Don’t get me wrong they’ll do the job, you just can’t compare them price wise with mitsi, they’re just different gravy.

Then there’s this…

rG7GFiy_d.webp

You tell me, £200 for an entire system tells you everything.

Associate

If in the future I ever needed to replace the units to another company, could I keep the existing ducting etc? Or would it all have to change from scratch?

Back
Top Bottom