Star Trek general discussion (series, films, rumours)

Soldato
I've really sick this week, off work and spending most of my time in bed. But when I have got up I've binge watched some Paramount+ that the wife won't be interested in. Star Trek: TOS has been surprisingly good. Not every episode holds up well, it is over 50 years old, but I was impressed by the image quality and the good episodes with the strongest stories still hold up really well. And I haven't even made it to any of the genuine classics yet.

Then for a change I thought I'd pick up Discovery again. I'd previosuly watched season 1 when it aired on E4 and wasn't that impressed. Holy cow season 2 episode 1 is so awful I couldn't make it through the whole episode. It is lavishly made but the dialogue is so dismal and unsubtely preachy that I'd far rather watch a ropey TOS episode to restart that. How this made it to 4 seasons if that was an indication of what follows I'll never know?
Yeah TOS was scanned from the film and remastered in 1080p and many of the effects were upgraded including all the space stuff and ship became CGI. however still keeping the look of the model.

Soldato
I always get a wry smile when someone professes surprise at how good TOS is - how d'you think it spawned a whole franchise if it wasn't good? ;):p

Stick with it, just to see how much worse it can get :D
Yeah I watched it in the 80’s and 90’s on BBC2 but you question if you have rose tinted view of the past and will it still hold up. And yes it does, better than early TNG in some respects.

Back
Top Bottom