Star Trek general discussion (series, films, rumours)

Associate
Season 3 of Picard was far better than 1 & 2
Never got round to watching DS9, might have to give it a try
DS9 is the most underrated Star Trek show of them all.

It has the lot. And the storylines are very nuanced on many occasions. Feels far more grown up than Discovery ever will. Better written, epically paced.

Mostly, I love the way the characters are written and that they are allowed to breathe and develop through the 7 series.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Is there anything firm on Chris pine et al doing another film, last I heard (which was some time ago) it had all fallen apart ?

Nothing concrete. Honestly though, they should probably leave that timeline alone now. With Anton Yelchin dying, and the rest of the cast not exactly getting any cheaper to hire, and the studio thinking that anything that doesn't do MCU money has failed...

Soldato
Have to say DS9 is my least ranked Trek show of the ones I have watched. It arrived at the same time as Babylon 5 and seemed to have the same premise, i.e. stories centred on a fixed space station, but for me B5 was the far far superior show. That coupled with a mild dislike of the way the guy who played Sisko seemed to be playing him like a pale clone of Picard, i.e. with a kind of enigmatic Shakespearian actors exaggerated diction voice, which just didn't sound right coming out of anyone other than Patrick Stewart. Don't know if was a deliberate thing or just the way the guys sounds but it sounded weird. It certainly got better in later years, but the first few seasons where bang average for me. Sorry.

Soldato
You should be. Take that back!

:p:D

I've only seen the first season of Discovery, so there is a chance for it to move up one :)

I don't know of anyone else knows what I am saying about his voice though? I remember watching the first few episodes and thinking, why is he trying to be Picard? He does get better as it goes on though. I didn't half fancy Nana Visitor though, that must be said.

Soldato
Have to say DS9 is my least ranked Trek show of the ones I have watched. It arrived at the same time as Babylon 5 and seemed to have the same premise, i.e. stories centred on a fixed space station, but for me B5 was the far far superior show. That coupled with a mild dislike of the way the guy who played Sisko seemed to be playing him like a pale clone of Picard, i.e. with a kind of enigmatic Shakespearian actors exaggerated diction voice, which just didn't sound right coming out of anyone other than Patrick Stewart. Don't know if was a deliberate thing or just the way the guys sounds but it sounded weird. It certainly got better in later years, but the first few seasons where bang average for me. Sorry.
100% agree with all that - i thought ds9 was crap

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've only seen the first season of Discovery, so there is a chance for it to move up one :)

I don't know of anyone else knows what I am saying about his voice though? I remember watching the first few episodes and thinking, why is he trying to be Picard? He does get better as it goes on though. I didn't half fancy Nana Visitor though, that must be said.

Nope. Never saw the link.

Soldato
DS9 is the only Trek I've never gone back to rewatch or actually finish.

I think at the time it was out Voyager had started and I loved it so DS9 faded for me and I have never been able to get back in to it. Deep Sleep 9 as some call it.

Don
I think at the time it was out Voyager had started and I loved it so DS9 faded for me and I have never been able to get back in to it.
I think that was part of the problem - younger me appreciated the "instant gratification", regular space battles and everything dialled up to 11 for the most part with Voyager.
I didn't get on with DS9 when I was younger, but having watched it again in later years DS9 is the far better show, with meaningful character development, series long arcs, and more political and moral themes - the downside being that the set-up is quite slow burn, but the pay-offs are worth it.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
I've really sick this week, off work and spending most of my time in bed. But when I have got up I've binge watched some Paramount+ that the wife won't be interested in. Star Trek: TOS has been surprisingly good. Not every episode holds up well, it is over 50 years old, but I was impressed by the image quality and the good episodes with the strongest stories still hold up really well. And I haven't even made it to any of the genuine classics yet.

Then for a change I thought I'd pick up Discovery again. I'd previosuly watched season 1 when it aired on E4 and wasn't that impressed. Holy cow season 2 episode 1 is so awful I couldn't make it through the whole episode. It is lavishly made but the dialogue is so dismal and unsubtely preachy that I'd far rather watch a ropey TOS episode to restart that. How this made it to 4 seasons if that was an indication of what follows I'll never know?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I've really sick this week, off work and spending most of my time in bed. But when I have got up I've binge watched some Paramount+ that the wife won't be interested in. Star Trek: TOS has been surprisingly good. Not every episode holds up well, it is over 50 years old, but I was impressed by the image quality and the good episodes with the strongest stories still hold up really well. And I haven't even made it to any of the genuine classics yet.

I always get a wry smile when someone professes surprise at how good TOS is - how d'you think it spawned a whole franchise if it wasn't good? ;):p

Then for a change I thought I'd pick up Discovery again. I'd previosuly watched season 1 when it aired on E4 and wasn't that impressed. Holy cow season 2 episode 1 is so awful I couldn't make it through the whole episode. It is lavishly made but the dialogue is so dismal and unsubtely preachy that I'd far rather watch a ropey TOS episode to restart that. How this made it to 4 seasons if that was an indication of what follows I'll never know?

Stick with it, just to see how much worse it can get :D

Back
Top Bottom