Starlink - anyone using it?

Soldato
Looking at buying a house that would require me to invest in Starlink as FTTP isn't viable there (and only a long line DSL connection currently).

Just curious - has anyone got the high performance kit over the standard one... ?

Soldato
For the power issues you can look to 12v it with a handy kit, saves you cutting cables https://www.starlinkhardware.com/tutorial-12v-dc-power-supply-for-starlink-rv/

Does anyone use Starlink for Teams calls or Wi-Fi calling? Wondering what the latency is like on the roaming package. My EE contract is up in 2 months so looking to review all my internet services, Phone/mobile router SIM/Home connection etc.

Associate
I managed to get hold of the Starlink when it was on offer for when I was at the caravan. On the first trip the dog got tangled in the dish and dragged it all over even though it was pegged down. It still seems to work but it looks a sorry state, the front is a quite fragile sticker. :mad:

Soldato

I guess I need to hold off as they might be better suited to my mobile needs, shame I did order the 12/48v PSU kit for standard but can always resell that on eBay.

img

img

Associate
This looks like my only option until bt rollout until 2026. Is the ping consistent? Is it still working well for you?

My alternative is three 5g but my experiance before was not great

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This looks like my only option until bt rollout until 2026. Is the ping consistent? Is it still working well for you?

For gaming or other latency sensitive stuff 4G/5G or Starlink are much of a muchness in my experience and which is better will depend on conditions specific to where you are. Where I am performance is broadly similar on both for downlink and latency but EE 4/5G has better upload speeds (Three is pretty bad around here at least - lucky to get much above 20mbit/s even in a good signal area).

Last edited:
Soldato

Just did this now:

No serious gamers in our house, but ping is pretty consistent under 50ms.

Man of Honour
Interesting you get basically 30mbit/s upload, assuming you are around Bristol area as per location, I live about 25 miles south of Bristol and people struggle to get above 10mbit/s upload on Starlink around here day or night time.

img

img

Associate
Thanks. I was trying to find people posting from herts online but failed. Will prob try both if i can find a cheap second hand starlink unit when i move house.

Associate
I purchased starlink business for our in the sticks head office, works fine but wanted as a backup for our primary line. It's unfortunate that they only provide one static IP ipv4 address, even only one static ipv6, so although I'm going to be able to use it for our MPLS I would have liked to be able to fail over our SIP and Guest wireless as well as data.

Speeds are reasonable, 120 down 20 up

Last edited:

img

img

Associate
They are currently doing refurbished for 200. Though its cgnat and you need £96 contract to get an ip.

When bt says the best i can get ehen i move is 24mb it is tempting

Last edited:
Soldato
A few years ago all i could get with a BT line was 4 meg on a good day with a 40+ ping
I now have 4G router and can pull 80meg average 30 meg up and a ping of around 40.Unlimited
I can even game online fine ALL for £18.95 p/m,so looking at Starlink prices and pings it is certainly not a good deal ,for me anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom