Starlink - anyone using it?

Man of Honour
I've been suffering terrible internet service in a rural area(Dorset) for far too long now.

Be interesting how you get on - I live adjacent to the Blackmore Vale and people in that general area of Dorset that I've spoken to about Starlink have generally talked of 50-100mbit down and around 10mbit up daytime speeds and up to about 50% faster overnight.

Soldato
With this new Mini Dish due I'm hoping they drop the Roam price plan for this dish as it will have less performance than the Standard one. £45-£50 would be a decent price point for 50/10Mbps

Soldato
We did actually look at renting a starlink disk for a LAN we're organising as the location had awful internet but then we found out they'd had fttp installed just recently so no need anymore!

Would've been interesting to see how we got on trying to game over it but we won't find out anymore although at another more remote location another year maybe we might need it!

Associate
With this new Mini Dish due I'm hoping they drop the Roam price plan for this dish as it will have less performance than the Standard one. £45-£50 would be a decent price point for 50/10Mbps

I get the same speed on roam or residential, I think you will only see a speed difference if you're in a congested area.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well after a full week with Starlink, my initial impressions are fully positive. Very easy installation and setup, very much a plug and play experience.
I currently have it mounted on the 2m ground pole kit that I have strapped to a concrete fence post on the outer edge of my front south facing garden. Its only about 5m from the house and with Starlink requiring a North biased orientation, I did have concerns for obstructions and connection stability. These concerns have proven to be unwarranted with the dish being elevated enough to be obstruction free. Its currently self oriented to a NW direction and I get zero issues with connection stability.

I was initially left wondering why I had bothered as the first night was a bit lackluster performance-wise. Slow speeds, slow response etc dropping in and out, however as the Dish did its thing and updates were applied it settled down, the next morning I restarted the router and dish and it has been faultless since. Gaming so far has been brilliant, ping seems to hover around the 50 mark with some rare occasions of PL at around 2-3 however usually settles very quickly. love the app as well, checking the obstruction map and seeing it slowly fill with blue is strangely satisfying!
  • Download - floats between 80-120mbps depending on time of day though nights seem to be a bit faster, assuming due to network load? I've seen it running at peaks of 200mbps at night.
  • Upload - Speeds are nothing to write home about but seem solid 10-15 avg.
  • Ping - Seems pretty decent and perfectly usable at between 35-60
  • Packet loss - Not really seeing much in the way of issues.
All-in-all I'm mighty impressed so far, as long as it stays like this I can see me sticking with it long term.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
Linking to my home network thread in Home and Garden - Starlink install is the backbone of the setup :)

I am getting pretty decent speeds from the system, and very happy so far!

Network027.jpg

Network024.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Transmission breaker
Don
I am in the middle of Lincolnshire in the countryside, and I usually get 200+ down, with 30ish up. I am sometimes seeing 300+ and 40ish up.

Starlink is pretty sparse up here, so I suspect that I am lucky to have a low contention area!

Soldato
I am on the Roam plan so it's half expected.

I am also in bypass mode, don't even have their router connected. But I am going to plug back in their router and see if speeds increase..

Going to revert to standard and see:

Last edited:
Associate
So my speeds seem to be capped around 50mpbs and that is from different areas too, North West and up to the Lakes, south Scotland.
200+D/20up were my speeds last year on the Roam plan, its not been used since October, I will be starting the Roam plan in just over a week as we're touring the EU for a couple of months from mid April.
I gutted mine to make it smaller, use the vans12v power and a Gl.Inet router, always been spot on.

My speeds on Roam last year after the modification's

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom