Starlink - anyone using it?

Soldato
I can even game online fine ALL for £18.95 p/m,so looking at Starlink prices and pings it is certainly not a good deal ,for me anyway :)
That's because we're not the target for this service. If someone is looking at Starlink (or other LEO services) then it's primarily because their choice is pretty limited, ie - GEO links or shoddy copper/mobile service. And compared to traditional GEO links, it's pretty reasonable given what they're offering.

It's expensive because it's the only type of solution on the market in this sort of use case...
'Ackchyually' there are other LEO services (Telesat, OneWeb/Eutelsat etc) but Starlink is the most well known and, i believe currently, offers the biggest coverage.

img

img

Associate
In France Orange just started offering 200mb down satellite with phone for 50euros. Competition is good.

Associate
I have quite a few out in the field, probably about 12-15, mix of ones that are allowed to move geographically and some that arnt, some commercial, some not. Other than the silly proprietry connection its been really good where we havent been able to get 4/5g or a leased line etc. Very stable even in poor conditions, speed/latency top notch, be better if it was a bit cheaper !

img

img

Associate
I have quite a few out in the field, probably about 12-15, mix of ones that are allowed to move geographically and some that arnt, some commercial, some not. Other than the silly proprietry connection its been really good where we havent been able to get 4/5g or a leased line etc. Very stable even in poor conditions, speed/latency top notch, be better if it was a bit cheaper !
With std kit or high perf for business?

Soldato
Ackchyually!!!!!

Are any of the others residentially available options? I just checked and none of them offer anything to residential addresses, so yeah Starlink is the only one of its kind :p
moving-goalpost.gif

:p

Associate
With std kit or high perf for business?
mixture as it was available as personal before commercial so standard+portability, we were limited to 3 per account address, as with most things musk though the stats/bandwidth/options/geo movement all changed over the months - i have meraki mx68's on the inside that report good speed but sometimes they arnt the easiest thing to trust... done 400gb of throughput per device in the last 30 days with occasional overnight reboot

img

img

Associate
mixture as it was available as personal before commercial so standard+portability, we were limited to 3 per account address, as with most things musk though the stats/bandwidth/options/geo movement all changed over the months - i have meraki mx68's on the inside that report good speed but sometimes they arnt the easiest thing to trust... done 400gb of throughput per device in the last 30 days with occasional overnight reboot
its hard to know if there is much difference without reviews being a musk follower.
I dont have experience of Meraki just Aruba,Velocloud and Fortinet how do you find it.

Associate
its hard to know if there is much difference without reviews being a musk follower.
I dont have experience of Meraki just Aruba,Velocloud and Fortinet how do you find it.
So for us the process is we try to use cradlepoint 5g (either w2005 or e300 with an antenna) - if we cant get good 5g then we look at 4g, if we cant get that we use starlink, 3 pc's and an access point and a printer using it, given these are mostly quite remote places line of sight to the sky is good, which is key to it working.

Meraki, product is great, company is terrible, support is rubbish but the product is so reliable that I dont often find i need it... not sure whether that makes it good or not to be honest..

I looked at Velo, looked good, how you find that?

img

img

Associate
So for us the process is we try to use cradlepoint 5g (either w2005 or e300 with an antenna) - if we cant get good 5g then we look at 4g, if we cant get that we use starlink, 3 pc's and an access point and a printer using it, given these are mostly quite remote places line of sight to the sky is good, which is key to it working.

Meraki, product is great, company is terrible, support is rubbish but the product is so reliable that I dont often find i need it... not sure whether that makes it good or not to be honest..

I looked at Velo, looked good, how you find that?
I dont think anyone support has been as good as it used to really. I like the solution for a lot of ways but i am at msp.

Associate
After being strung along by Openreach for months ("FTTP is definitely coming next month... ad infinitum") we just ordered Starlink, somehow didn't realise it had no contract otherwise I'd have done it ages ago.

Getting approx 190/10, we're in the middle of nowhere and were getting around 15/8 on 4G before. The download speed is definitely a nice upgrade but was hoping the upload would have been a little better

Associate
After being strung along by Openreach for months ("FTTP is definitely coming next month... ad infinitum") we just ordered Starlink, somehow didn't realise it had no contract otherwise I'd have done it ages ago.

Getting approx 190/10, we're in the middle of nowhere and were getting around 15/8 on 4G before. The download speed is definitely a nice upgrade but was hoping the upload would have been a little better
Yeah, the upload speeds do put me off a bit. For working from home, upload is quite important.

Soldato

How much had you invested in your cellular solution? Or was it just a 4G router stuck on a window sill?

Associate
How much had you invested in your cellular solution? Or was it just a 4G router stuck on a window sill?
Not a massive amount but I did have a £100 4G antenna outside, inside we barely get any 4G signal so I needed that as a bare minimum. I didn't' invest too much in any of it because the Openreach guy told us we'd have fibre by Sept-2023... but that came and went.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any users around the DH8 (within 30 miles) vicinity who can confirm Up / Down / Ping numbers please?

Sick of VM constantly being terrible and having speeds of 2mbps on a 120 connection and an unusable connection.

Associate
So, I've finally ordered a refurbished starlink package for £200, plus a long wall mount and ethernet adapter.
Once this storm passes I'll go and have a look for suitable sites to install using the app.
Hope it will be good.

Back
Top Bottom