Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
whether or not those clubs even want Bale? I know he's linked with Real Madrid but a welsh lad who plays for Spurs doesn't really strike me as a marquee signing on the scale of the likes of Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo and Ronaldo

He doesn't a have to be a marquee signing on that scale for them to want him though. Madrid bought a Croat who plays for Spurs, they bought a guy from NE England who played for Newcastle etc.

I think Bale is hot property following games versus Inter and subsequent exploits and most teams would be interested (pricetag notwithstanding).

Soldato
Definitely going to be an interesting window for Arsenal, I can't really see any marquee players that will be targeted like the last couple of seasons and they have plenty of deadwood to clear out as well.

Judging by their strong finish to the season as well you can imagine a couple quality signings and they'll be up there again

i.e. last 20 PL games form table (cool website - http://www.footstats.co.uk/?task=formguide)

ZR7J1AF.png

Not bad.

Also - wtf Norwich had an absolute shocker - how the hell do you finish in 11th place with a 2nd half of the season like that :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely going to be an interesting window for Arsenal, I can't really see any marquee players that will be targeted like the last couple of seasons and they have plenty of deadwood to clear out as well.

Judging by their strong finish to the season as well you can imagine a couple quality signings and they'll be up there again.

Yes, Wenger's already stated he's looking forward to a summer where nobody he wants to keep will be going, both because it makes for a better pre-season and it's implied I suppose, because he can improve the squad rather than having to rebuild it (again).

It'd be ideal this time round if we got our business done quickly, had a nice pre-season and hit the ground running.

Soldato
Bale has an interesting decision to make this summer. He loves life at Spurs, he is settled and playing great football with a manager he trusts.

All the other top clubs in Europe who could afford him have managerial issues. City, Chelsea, Barca, Madrid even Man Utd (Moyes is unproven at this level). PSG is a possibility and Bayern if they have cash left. Otherwise though, the managers and therefore the clubs don't look that appealing.

It is an even bigger leap of faith than normal; maybe it is sensible to take a massive wage from Spurs for one year to see how the landscape is looking next year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bale has an interesting decision to make this summer. He loves life at Spurs, he is settled and playing great football with a manager he trusts.

All the other top clubs in Europe who could afford him have managerial issues. City, Chelsea, Barca, Madrid even Man Utd (Moyes is unproven at this level). PSG is a possibility and Bayern if they have cash left. Otherwise though, the managers and therefore the clubs don't look that appealing.

Sorry but that's utter tosh if for no other reason that the Spurs job is hardly a model of consistency itself

Soldato
Sorry but that's utter tosh if for no other reason that the Spurs job is hardly a model of consistency itself

AVB won't be sacked this summer. Why is the comment that all the other major clubs that could afford Bale are in managerial flux tosh?

Moyes; why would you want to work with him? Why would you expect him to bring success with that squad and Rooney looking to leave?

Barca; all over the place. Their manager was pretty ill and the team looked poor in Europe.

Madrid; attractive if Mourinho stays, otherwise why would you sign for a club when you don't know who will manage you?

City; managerless

Chelsea; manager less, attractive if Maureen arrives

Monaco; unproven and no big signing yet.

This leaves PSG.

Edit - ancelotti is apparently leaving PSG. So that would rule out PSG.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's tosh due to statements like this;

Madrid; attractive if Mourinho stays, otherwise why would you sign for a club when you don't know who will manage you?

Real Madrid the richest club in the world and arguably the biggest is only attractive if Mourinho stays? :o

Apart from United all of the biggest clubs in Europe have had merry-go-rounds when it comes to their managers over the past x amount of years; Real, Barca, Bayern, Juventus etc etc and bigger and better players than Bale have moved to those clubs regardless. I assume you're a Spurs supporter which is why you're hoping managerial 'issues' at the clubs who would want Bale may be an influence but the fact is there's far more to these clubs than just who's the manager

EDIT: Why would Bale want to go to Madrid? To play in front of 85000, to play with the second best player in the world, to compete for the title & UCL year after year regardless who's the manager are just 3 reasons.

Last edited:
Associate
more on the Ancelotti leaving PSG for Real story: BBC & SSN

Nasser al-Khelaifi:
"I said it is not possible because he has a contract for one year more, so that is our decision. "It is his problem, it is not our problem. We have offered him another year more on his contract as well as the one he has. When you have a contract, everyone is normally obliged to honour that."
Ancelotti:
"My wish is to leave the club. I have asked the club to leave. We are going to wait for a response from the club who are going to take a few days to decide."
PSG tactic to get a player they want from Madrid? or are they resolute on keeping Ancelotti? Ancelotti is a good manager but not irreplaceable so maybe this move will happen

Last edited:
Soldato
It's tosh due to statements like this;

Real Madrid the richest club in the world and arguably the biggest is only attractive if Mourinho stays? :o

Apart from United all of the biggest clubs in Europe have had merry-go-rounds when it comes to their managers over the past x amount of years; Real, Barca, Bayern, Juventus etc etc and bigger and better players than Bale have moved to those clubs regardless. I assume you're a Spurs supporter which is why you're hoping managerial 'issues' at the clubs who would want Bale may be an influence but the fact is there's far more to these clubs than just who's the manager

EDIT: Why would Bale want to go to Madrid? To play in front of 85000, to play with the second best player in the world, to compete for the title & UCL year after year regardless who's the manager are just 3 reasons.

You didn't read the whole of my post. I advocated staying for 1 year to see what the landscape is like after the managerial merry go round has finished.

All of the clubs listed are massive but if he ends up going to a club that then has a small slump for, say, 2 years (as Madrid did) Bale won't be able to force a move out. The next move for him is huge, he could potentially be stuck in a massive club not winning anything (arsenal) instead of being in a massive club winning everything (bayern). If he makes the wrong decision, it will be very hard to rectify.

He should go to a team that is stable and successful. Who would you choose out of Barca or Madrid atm? Given both clubs look rocky in the grand scheme of best club in Europe, I think it would be prudent to see where everything settles this summer and look to move next summer.

Soldato
PSG tactic to get a player they want from Madrid? or are they resolute on keeping Ancelotti? Ancelotti is a good manager but not irreplaceable so maybe this move will happen

It's certain to happen, keeping a manger who wants to leave is probably even harder than keeping a player who wants to leave. PSG probably just dont like Madrid treating them like an also-ran (something what with their injection of money a tag they thought they'd left behind)

Man of Honour
AVB won't be sacked this summer. Why is the comment that all the other major clubs that could afford Bale are in managerial flux tosh?

Moyes; why would you want to work with him? Why would you expect him to bring success with that squad and Rooney looking to leave?

Barca; all over the place. Their manager was pretty ill and the team looked poor in Europe.

City; managerless

Chelsea; manager less, attractive if Maureen arrives

Monaco; unproven and no big signing yet.

This leaves PSG.

Edit - ancelotti is apparently leaving PSG. So that would rule out PSG.

This would all apply a lot more if he was at a bigger club than Spurs, but he isn't. Unfortunately for you.

You also left out Bayern, no reason they wouldn't potentially be interested were he to start making noises about wanting to leave.

I could see him maybe staying for another season, only if Spurs signed a couple (possibly more) of really top quality players, something they'll struggle to do now they aren't in the CL.

Soldato
He should go to a team that is stable and successful.

But as I've just finished explaining outside of United there have been no club that has had stability with their manager so waiting to see who Real, City & Chelsea end up with is largely irrelevant because he could watch Madrid win everything next season move there next summer only to find the manager get the boot if he doesn't then replicate that success.

There's also the flip side of your argument in that Bale could stay at Spurs and see AVB out of a job within 4 months of the next season should Spurs already be way off the pace in going for a top 4 finish.

Soldato
I could see him maybe staying for another season, only if Spurs signed a couple (possibly more) of really top quality players, something they'll struggle to do now they aren't in the CL.

Personally I dont think that will be a factor on whether he stays or not but on the point of not being able to attract better players with no UCL I saw on Sky earlier that the difference between getting into the group stage of the UCL and the group stage of the Europa League is £28m :eek:

Soldato
But as I've just finished, explaining outside of United there have been no club that has had stability with their manager so waiting to see who Real, City & Chelsea end up with is largely irrelevant because he could watch Madrid win everything next season move there next summer only to find the manager get the boot if he doesn't then replicate that success.

There's also the flip side of your argument in that Bale could stay at Spurs and see AVB out of a job within 4 months of the next season should Spurs already be way off the pace in going for a top 4 finish.

Barca and Real have been relatively stable for the past 3 years.

The other side of precedent is not the unknown of the future. That is completely the opposite of precedent.

Looking at all the top teams next season and choosing which set up you want to join is prudent. Trying to work out how massive clubs will play under different managers and then making a decision on that prediction is risky.

Robbo i originally discounted Bayern (see my earlier post) on the basis that they possibly couldn't afford him after Gotze and Lewandowski.

Caporegime
:D

They do tend to work on the Nickg philosophy of where you were made = how good you are though. For example;

Kagawa/Japan = the home of cheap electrical equipment, pfft what do they know about football?
Hazard/Belgium = the home of the waffle, now there's a country who surely know how to bake a good footballer!!!

If you think kagawa is a better player than hazard then I can only pity you and your entrenched position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom