Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Aw will never have that ability top go out and spend 15-20 mil on a player we need, look at ferguson and Rio ferdinand, rooney. The ability to just get it done. Instead sticking to teeny boppers lol.

Hold on, there is still 10 days left and things are starting to rev up now transfer wise. I think a lot of our inability to get some signings in hinged on how well we did in the CL game on Wed, we won quite comprehensively so im hoping that will now get us the big name players we need and want.

Ill hold my judgement until after Sept 2nd, by then we will know exactly how well or how bad we have done in the transfer window.

Fingers crossed we arent signing any unknown young players, we have enough of them and majority of them arent good enough for our first team.

Soldato
Chelsea spending £30 million just to spite us and AVB....While it tastes bad it is bloody hilarious.....think they might be a little rattled?

Caporegime
You said he'd been a scapegoat though, which is not the case. He had a cracking first season, i remember. He was capable of so much more, he never showed that though...

And...yeah, i think a 31 year one old, ****ed up, abusing bouncers is quite sad. I did that once when i was 18, there's a difference...

Once again, what happend in APRIL THIS YEAR, has nothing to do with what happened two years ago.

We had a few poor performances at the end of the year, Arshavin was brought on as a sub, or subbed off early and the fans decided Arshavin wasn't doing enough, the fact that he was brilliant all year, we decided that Arshavin gave away the ball a few times up the field therefore the 8 guys behind him aren't at fault, just Arshavin.

Yes the Arsenal fans decided our poor performances and losses were down to Arshavin, they weren't at all. I remember one particular situation where Arshavin lost the ball, tracked him all the way back, stopped the guy shooting, made him turn inside then got an unlucky deflection of his block and into the goal. The fact that our left and cb's were missing with no reason and Arshavin worked harder than anyone else. The fans decided it was Arshavin and Wenger basically stopped playing him.

Hence scapegoat, and what that has to do with being drunk outside a club TWO YEARS later, I really don't know what your point is. Now lets use some stats shall we, great for one season, never good again... really?

First 6 months after move, 12 starts 6 goals 5 assists, he was brilliant, only a single assist in the Cl though.
Second season(first full season) 25 starts, 10 goals 1 assist, 6 cl starts, 1 goal 5 assists.
Third seaon, 25 starts, 6 goals 11 assists, 3 CL starts, 3 goals 2 assists, CC 3 games 1 goal 3 assists.....

wow he really was only good in those first 6 months(maybe you meant first full season or first 12 months..... still COMPLETELY wrong).

His best season was his third season with us, easily, he was brilliant but for some reason everyone was fawning over Nasri's good 3 months at the start of the season then mostly being crap for the rest of the season. The year after his best season, he had 8 starts, 1 in the FA cup, 1 in the CC, 3 in the CL.

The ONLY reason he didn't score or assist loads in the 4th season was Wenger had well and truly dropped him at the end of the previous season for no apparent reason. Since then he's never had a run of games, many games at all, any real chances in the other cups, Wenger simply stopped using him. In any season he was used consistently and with a run of games, he was excellent.

Caporegime
Can I ask a question of the Manchester United fans?

Why is there such an obsession to strengthen? I mean, last season Manchester United won the league at a canter.

David Moyes is coming in to his first season replacing a modern great and legend of World football, it is by no means an easy task, but he does have a pretty fantastic squad already at his disposal. Do United fans (and people in general) expect him to be winning everything this year?

I personally see this year as a big transitional phase and I think Moyes would be using this season to look at the club and squad and asses what needs to change, it is easy for a long standing manager or a manager that has been with the squad for a number of years to do this, but for a manager that has just come in to such a huge situation it must be a little different. I also think Moyes will be given this season regardless of how well or poor United perform. It's also important that Moyes has been playing a lot of youth throughout pre season, so it could be that he wants to give the young players chance to prove themselves and to see if they can make the leap in to the first team squad.

I would have thought that the big off field changes, new manager, new staff, end of an era type thing was one thing, but having stability on the field is something Moyes might be worried about.

Soldato
they will definitely have to do their own medical.

we all had our suspicions from the start that he was simply putting himself in the shop window to the highest bidder. chelsea were the obvious choice, for many reasons.

capoue and sandro will welcome him to the prem.

Soldato
they will definitely have to do their own medical.

we all had our suspicions from the start that he was simply putting himself in the shop window to the highest bidder. chelsea were the obvious choice, for many reasons.

capoue and sandro will welcome him to the prem.

I just dont see how they can give their midfielders game time. I really think it is purely to stop us getting him.

Caporegime
I mean, Arsenal need to bring players in, but again it's a transitional period for the club as a lot of players have left, because they were some way short last season.

Chelsea and Manchester City have signed players of whom they think will improve their squad and first team to bring them closer to the League title and Champions League and Tottenham have looked to bring in players to help build a better squad to challenge for those top spots too, same goes for Liverpool.

Manchester United didn't do as well as they would have hoped in Europe, but it was a very tough year last year in Europe, the standard of football was stupid high/good, and I think Moyes would be given more of a pass in Europe anyway because he needs to find his feet a little, although given the standard and quality of players and staff available advice and help will not be far away.

Permabanned

Why is there such an obsession to strengthen? I mean, last season Manchester United won the league at a canter.

David Moyes is coming in to his first season replacing a modern great and legend of World football, it is by no means an easy task, but he does have a pretty fantastic squad already at his disposal. Do United fans (and people in general) expect him to be winning everything this year?

I personally see this year as a big transitional phase and I think Moyes would be using this season to look at the club and squad and asses what needs to change, it is easy for a long standing manager or a manager that has been with the squad for a number of years to do this, but for a manager that has just come in to such a huge situation it must be a little different. I also think Moyes will be given this season regardless of how well or poor United perform. It's also important that Moyes has been playing a lot of youth throughout pre season, so it could be that he wants to give the young players chance to prove themselves and to see if they can make the leap in to the first team squad.

I would have thought that the big off field changes, new manager, new staff, end of an era type thing was one thing, but having stability on the field is something Moyes might be worried about.

We are weak in some areas, midfield obviously, a decent back up at RB would be nice.

It is also not in the clubs tradition or ethos to stand still, we may have won the league but the opposition was poor, it was a warning season, stand still and be left fighting for the top 4, or strengthen and go for the league again and Europe.

You used to be a United fan, shouldn't you know that?

Caporegime
I don't think you could say Manchester United have stood still, I mean, they've moved younger players forward in the pecking order and they were used and tested well in pre season as well as bringing Zaha in to the club (after being loaned back out last season).

I agree that Manchester United's midfield is not their strongest area of the pitch, but players like Cleverly, Carrick, Anderson are not poor by any stretch of the imagination.

I've always been a Wednesdayite, United are just very much my second team along with Donny Rovers, anyway, didn't you used to be a Wolves/Cheslea/Arsenal fan? ;).

Permabanned
I don't think you could say Manchester United have stood still, I mean, they've moved younger players forward in the pecking order and they were used and tested well in pre season as well as bringing Zaha in to the club (after being loaned back out last season).

I agree that Manchester United's midfield is not their strongest area of the pitch, but players like Cleverly, Carrick, Anderson are not poor by any stretch of the imagination.

I've always been a Wednesdayite, United are just very much my second team along with Donny Rovers, anyway, didn't you used to be a Wolves/Cheslea/Arsenal fan? ;).

And Leeds.

If United are your second team, why would you need to ask a question as to why they would need to strengthen.

Soldato
Willian to snub Spurs, well that will make my weekend if it turns out to be true.

it's a high certainty.

be interesting to see who gets pushed out. i will laugh if mata ends up defunct to save face on a £30m signing not that i'd want mata to be pushed out but it would great if they lost their best player over this. hopefully he'll perform as poorly as torres did in the beginning, difference is, i doubt he'd care.

Caporegime
And Leeds.

If United are your second team, why would you need to ask a question as to why they would need to strengthen.

'cause it's always interesting reading what other people think, I was just trying to gauge an opinion of some of the better Manchester United posters, that is to say anyone can post in reply. Just interesting.

Good 'ol Leeds, big point against them last weekend for Wednesday :).

Soldato
I just dont see how they can give their midfielders game time. I really think it is purely to stop us getting him.

that will be a small part of it. they're still bitter over modric. have bleated on about how they need a striker (rooney) and then go out and spend £30+m and heaven knows what wage on an attacking midfielder when they are very well covered in the position.

Soldato

Personally, I don't think we need to go as crazy as people suggest.

I think a 'body' does need to be added to the midfield, we currently have three fit centre midfielders - Carrick, Anderson & Cleverley, not even talking about 'quality' here but pure numbers I think an addition to that (of the Fellaini standard) is something that's definitely needed.

If we hold onto Nani & Rooney and you know, our wingers are actually fit this year (!) rather than constant niggles and getting injuries, I've got confidence in our front line for sure.

In defence there is generally enough cover, only injuries (as we do seem to get) will throw a bit of panic.

In terms of the rest of it, Moyes does definitely need time to asses the squad and see who fits into his plans and who doesn't. From reading, he's incredibly thorough in that sense - there's a really good article floating around which is an extract from a book, about his scouting and everything.

One of the first things it says is that the scouting department and Moyes didn't concern themselves with players that they believed were destined for the Top 6 or out of their price range.

He's come into a club and he's still running on previous staffs knowledge and scouting, it's going to be difficult for him to say 'Yep, splash £25million on that youngster' when he doesn't know much about them (this is what all the Thiago reports point to, the player wasn't within his scouting criteria, not much knowledge of him, reluctant to just ***** a load of cash, makes sense).

This is why we've gone after someone like Fabregas - a proven world class player that you don't need to scout, Moyes knows he'd fit right in. It's also why there have been Fellaini/Baines bids, he knows the players already, they aren't an unknown quantity that may or may not be a punt.

The team and the way they play for a long period of time are going to be dictated by who's fit and available and will still be like it was under SAF, it is the same personnel after all and you can't magically transform them in the very very little time he's had.

Next summer is the one that he should be judged upon, he'd have had a year to know the squad, know who he wants and to scout them and implement part of his systems.

As for some of the low bids, it seems Mr. Woodward is a bit frightened of watching the bank balance go out rather than coming in like he used to. I also think they wanted a big signing before they went after anyone else, to appease the fans, rather than going straight for Fellaini/Baines, this may have backfired somewhat now.

Unfortunately OcUK, RedCafe, Twitter and other various places have a large share of absolute spoilt muppets that don't understand that things will take time to progress and will be calling for Moyes' head after the Chelsea match.

Heck, we even saw people going mental before the Swansea match and then suddenly after it they were all ':D' about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom