Summer Transfer Window 2013/2014 aka Arsenal , we can afford folks and the mancs really want Fellani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Tummy you have pin pointed one of my main reasons that we should not have signed moyes m he's too punch drunk from being offered the job. He has no balls and can't start demanding we buy player xyz. He doesn't even know who the best players are that we should be trying to sign because these players were not on Everton s radar. When your opponents spend 100 million and you have players like valencia abd Ashley young on your team and you do things like play phil jones in midfield or defence you must realise we are desperate for players.

Otherwise why would we have bid for fabregas? Luxury buy? Not needed but let's get him anyway? Why bid for Fellaini if ee don't need a midfielder? Just to upset his old club?

Soldato
Once again, what happend in APRIL THIS YEAR, has nothing to do with what happened two years ago.

We had a few poor performances at the end of the year, Arshavin was brought on as a sub, or subbed off early and the fans decided Arshavin wasn't doing enough, the fact that he was brilliant all year, we decided that Arshavin gave away the ball a few times up the field therefore the 8 guys behind him aren't at fault, just Arshavin.

Yes the Arsenal fans decided our poor performances and losses were down to Arshavin, they weren't at all. I remember one particular situation where Arshavin lost the ball, tracked him all the way back, stopped the guy shooting, made him turn inside then got an unlucky deflection of his block and into the goal. The fact that our left and cb's were missing with no reason and Arshavin worked harder than anyone else. The fans decided it was Arshavin and Wenger basically stopped playing him.

Hence scapegoat, and what that has to do with being drunk outside a club TWO YEARS later, I really don't know what your point is. Now lets use some stats shall we, great for one season, never good again... really?

First 6 months after move, 12 starts 6 goals 5 assists, he was brilliant, only a single assist in the Cl though.
Second season(first full season) 25 starts, 10 goals 1 assist, 6 cl starts, 1 goal 5 assists.
Third seaon, 25 starts, 6 goals 11 assists, 3 CL starts, 3 goals 2 assists, CC 3 games 1 goal 3 assists.....

wow he really was only good in those first 6 months(maybe you meant first full season or first 12 months..... still COMPLETELY wrong).

His best season was his third season with us, easily, he was brilliant but for some reason everyone was fawning over Nasri's good 3 months at the start of the season then mostly being crap for the rest of the season. The year after his best season, he had 8 starts, 1 in the FA cup, 1 in the CC, 3 in the CL.

The ONLY reason he didn't score or assist loads in the 4th season was Wenger had well and truly dropped him at the end of the previous season for no apparent reason. Since then he's never had a run of games, many games at all, any real chances in the other cups, Wenger simply stopped using him. In any season he was used consistently and with a run of games, he was excellent.

How about you read the article? You said Arshavin had been made a scapegoat, Wenger said in that article that Arshavin had been a model professional since joining the club. I'm not sure how you can't see what my point was..

And...he wasn't excellent at all, his body language on the pitch would suggest otherwise..

Last edited:
Caporegime
Personally, I don't think we need to go as crazy as people suggest.

I think a 'body' does need to be added to the midfield, we currently have three fit centre midfielders - Carrick, Anderson & Cleverley, not even talking about 'quality' here but pure numbers I think an addition to that (of the Fellaini standard) is something that's definitely needed.

If we hold onto Nani & Rooney and you know, our wingers are actually fit this year (!) rather than constant niggles and getting injuries, I've got confidence in our front line for sure.

In defence there is generally enough cover, only injuries (as we do seem to get) will throw a bit of panic.

In terms of the rest of it, Moyes does definitely need time to asses the squad and see who fits into his plans and who doesn't. From reading, he's incredibly thorough in that sense - there's a really good article floating around which is an extract from a book, about his scouting and everything.

One of the first things it says is that the scouting department and Moyes didn't concern themselves with players that they believed were destined for the Top 6 or out of their price range.

He's come into a club and he's still running on previous staffs knowledge and scouting, it's going to be difficult for him to say 'Yep, splash £25million on that youngster' when he doesn't know much about them (this is what all the Thiago reports point to, the player wasn't within his scouting criteria, not much knowledge of him, reluctant to just ***** a load of cash, makes sense).

This is why we've gone after someone like Fabregas - a proven world class player that you don't need to scout, Moyes knows he'd fit right in. It's also why there have been Fellaini/Baines bids, he knows the players already, they aren't an unknown quantity that may or may not be a punt.

The team and the way they play for a long period of time are going to be dictated by who's fit and available and will still be like it was under SAF, it is the same personnel after all and you can't magically transform them in the very very little time he's had.

Next summer is the one that he should be judged upon, he'd have had a year to know the squad, know who he wants and to scout them and implement part of his systems.

As for some of the low bids, it seems Mr. Woodward is a bit frightened of watching the bank balance go out rather than coming in like he used to. I also think they wanted a big signing before they went after anyone else, to appease the fans, rather than going straight for Fellaini/Baines, this may have backfired somewhat now.

Unfortunately OcUK, RedCafe, Twitter and other various places have a large share of absolute spoilt muppets that don't understand that things will take time to progress and will be calling for Moyes' head after the Chelsea match.

Heck, we even saw people going mental before the Swansea match and then suddenly after it they were all ':D' about it.

Fantastic, intelligent reply :).

I agree that the midfield problem is something of a mountain out of a mole hill type panic, but totally get that it needs strengthening, it was easily over ran and out passed in the big games last season in my opinion.

Really interesting points about his scouting knowledge and a good link cheers.

I thought the Fabregas thing was pretty much that; Moyes knew or knows that the midfield has big room for improvement and without much knowledge the easiest thing to do is bring in a proven player, it's just a shame that United were never really in for Thiago but I understand the hesitancy about moving for an unproven player, Moyes must be really careful with whom he brings in for big money as it will reflect badly on him and make his relationship with the fans even more troublesome, as already (as with any club) there are a section of fans it seems who are annoyed Moyes just isn't Sir Alex.

G|mp mentioned right back, but I'm not convinced about that, Rafa and Fabio can both play there comfortably and Smalling can play there too, albeit worse that those too and then there is Phil Jones... who can at least do something there. The right back that was moved in and loaned back out could be something interesting, Moyes might just feel that his development is best served playing regular football and he couldn't get that at United, a bit like Zaha.

I think, considering the quality of the wide players at the club, that is an area (as well as the midfield) that needs looking at.

Tummy you have pin pointed one of my main reasons that we should not have signed moyes m he's too punch drunk from being offered the job. He has no balls and can't start demanding we buy player xyz. He doesn't even know who the best players are that we should be trying to sign because these players were not on Everton s radar. When your opponents spend 100 million and you have players like valencia abd Ashley young on your team and you do things like play phil jones in midfield or defence you must realise we are desperate for players.

Otherwise why would we have bid for fabregas? Luxury buy? Not needed but let's get him anyway? Why bid for Fellaini if ee don't need a midfielder? Just to upset his old club?

I don't think it's anything to do with Moyes not having the balls or being delirious after taking the job, I think Moyes is very away of what will be written about him and how difficult his job is, let alone will become if he makes some duff / last minute panic signings.

Soldato
i don't think any spurs fans are bitter. it was obvious it was going to happen when one thinks about the scenario and who his agent is. do you feel chelsea need a player like willian then, moses? the only 'biterness' would stem from the fact that they don't and spurs do.

if that's how chelsea and willian want to operate; fine. we all know chelsea have way more disposable cash then spurs do and i prefer it that way. it's as much willian as it is chelsea and AVB should look at the move as a sign that mourinho does believe in him elst he wouldn't have felt the need to buy a player he doesn't even really need, from under our noses.

Permabanned
G|mp mentioned right back, but I'm not convinced about that, Rafa and Fabio can both play there comfortably and Smalling can play there too, albeit worse that those too and then there is Phil Jones... who can at least do something there. The right back that was moved in and loaned back out could be something interesting

Exactly my point in it being an area we could look to strengthen, having 3 players play out of position as back up is not a good thing, one is a left back and the other two are centre halves. Kind of backs up my point that it needs strengthening.

Associate
Hold on, there is still 10 days left and things are starting to rev up now transfer wise. I think a lot of our inability to get some signings in hinged on how well we did in the CL game on Wed, we won quite comprehensively so im hoping that will now get us the big name players we need and want.

Ill hold my judgement until after Sept 2nd, by then we will know exactly how well or how bad we have done in the transfer window.

Fingers crossed we arent signing any unknown young players, we have enough of them and majority of them arent good enough for our first team.

See what you mean. Thing that gets me is his "we dont have as much money as is written", meaning he could spend little and have that excuse. But hopefully I am totally wrong and he does, I hope so!!:)

Caporegime
Exactly my point in it being an area we could look to strengthen, having 3 players play out of position as back up is not a good thing, one is a left back and the other two are centre halves. Kind of backs up my point that it needs strengthening.

I get what you're saying, but I just disagree a bit, I think that Fabio can cover either full back but (in my opinion) would be better being there to help his brother out at right back, given that Evra and Buttner are both capable full backs (if a little too attacking).

Who would you like to bring in? I mean, good quality full backs at the level Manchester United will be looking at will be expensive.

Soldato
Why, if they get Lamela they've probably still done better than us and will likely get fourth.

You're getting boring now Purdy, lamela replacing bale means they are significantly weaker

Also, they are getting Willian in because they are scared of spurs with him.... Heard it all now. Couldn't possibly be because they see him as a good player is it, not like he was the best player on the field when they played in the CL

Last edited:
Caporegime
I love how bitter Spurs fans are. It's hilarious. Possibly the highlight of this transfer silly season, so far.

Nope the highlight of this transfer window is Arsenal and Wengers inability to sign any big name/world class players when we have the wonga to spend. Oh and our ludicrous £40mill and a £1 to sign Suarez...dont think any other team has come close to looking like buffoons other than Arsenal this summer.

Compared to Spurs we have been made to look like absolute amateurs when trying to sign players:D

Last edited:
Soldato
Fantastic, intelligent reply :).

I agree that the midfield problem is something of a mountain out of a mole hill type panic, but totally get that it needs strengthening, it was easily over ran and out passed in the big games last season in my opinion.

Really interesting points about his scouting knowledge and a good link cheers.

I thought the Fabregas thing was pretty much that; Moyes knew or knows that the midfield has big room for improvement and without much knowledge the easiest thing to do is bring in a proven player, it's just a shame that United were never really in for Thiago but I understand the hesitancy about moving for an unproven player, Moyes must be really careful with whom he brings in for big money as it will reflect badly on him and make his relationship with the fans even more troublesome, as already (as with any club) there are a section of fans it seems who are annoyed Moyes just isn't Sir Alex.

G|mp mentioned right back, but I'm not convinced about that, Rafa and Fabio can both play there comfortably and Smalling can play there too, albeit worse that those too and then there is Phil Jones... who can at least do something there. The right back that was moved in and loaned back out could be something interesting, Moyes might just feel that his development is best served playing regular football and he couldn't get that at United, a bit like Zaha.

I think, considering the quality of the wide players at the club, that is an area (as well as the midfield) that needs looking at.

Correct, if he goes out and ****es £30 million up the wall on another Veron, it's not exactly going to do his long term prospects with the fans etc any good.

I'd say it's more a section of the fans being annoyed that Moyes isn't called Juan Biestas or something similarly exotic!

Right back for me isn't a huge headache, I hate Jones playing there though, but when Fabio has featured for Moyes it's been at RB and Fabio himself said in an interview that's his position and it may one day mean that he and his brother can't be at the same club.

In terms of the wings it all really depends if they gain fitness back and Valencia finds his marbles somewhere. If Valencia & Young don't have a good season and get things going (I see them as the back up wingers) then they may well be moved on.

However if we hold onto Rooney & Nani, I think it'll be those two + Kagawa that function as some sort of 3 with Valencia/Young offering a more defensive option.

Zaha looks an exciting option from the bench and I imagine Welbeck/Giggs will get run outs between them on the left, along with hopefully Januzaj.

You forget our best right back, Valencia ;).

Caporegime
See what you mean. Thing that gets me is his "we dont have as much money as is written", meaning he could spend little and have that excuse. But hopefully I am totally wrong and he does, I hope so!!:)

Well i can see why he would say that as other teams will now want top dollar for their players ie Cabaye is now rated at £20mill by Newcastle from what Pardew is saying. But nevertheless because we didnt snap up the players earlier, we will get raped on transfer fees and its going to be very difficult for us to get bargains now.

But what annoys me is that Gazidis said at the start of the summer, we have the financial power to spend big and pay big wages but as of yet, no huge signings have come in. If we havent got that much money then surely you would keep your mouth shut:p.

But if the rumours are true that we were linked with big names ie Suarez and Higuain for example then there must be some truth in that we have the money to go and spend £30mill+ on a player. Maybe it is Wenger thats the problem and is too scared of spending that much in case a big name player flops at Arsenal. But im afraid that excuse doesnt wash because other teams splurge big on players even though they could very well flop in the PL.

Last edited:
Soldato
You're getting boring now Purdy, lamela replacing bale means they are significantly weaker

Also, they are getting Willian in because they are scared of spurs with him.... Heard it all now. Couldn't possibly be because they see him as a good player is it, not like he was the best player on the field when they played in the CL

losing bale makes us significantly weaker but lamela would be a great signing.

Associate
i don't think any spurs fans are bitter. it was obvious it was going to happen when one thinks about the scenario and who his agent is. do you feel chelsea need a player like willian then, moses? the only 'biterness' would stem from the fact that they don't and spurs do.

if that's how chelsea and willian want to operate; fine. we all know chelsea have way more disposable cash then spurs do and i prefer it that way. it's as much willian as it is chelsea and AVB should look at the move as a sign that mourinho does believe in him elst he wouldn't have felt the need to buy a player he doesn't even really need, from under our noses.
That's your non-bitter post. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom