Survive The Forest

Associate
This game gets my 5 stars for its amazing ability to make me poo my pants. Never played something that has made me this stressed before. Me and my friend have been taking turns.

Day 1: Made a tiny camp and saw no activity at all. Spent most of the day gathering resourced and cracking open suitcases.

Day 2: Same as day 1, made 2 wall sections.

Night 2/day 3: woke up in the middle of the night to find 3 cannibals attackin. They were being super aggressive, but managed to hold my ground by keeping the fire pit between me and them and keeping my back to the wall. But when i finally managed to finish them off, at least 8 or 9 more cannibals came (including 2 new creepy folk from the update), leaping through the trees, surrounding me, and then slowly walking up to harrass me.. It became a ridiculous struggle managing the defence, the fires and trying to scare thwm off with a couple of swings. Eventually after a good 40 minutes they were all dead.

Day 4: No activity, spent the whole day, building effiges.

Day 5: another attack in the night, this time only 5. But they just stood outside the camp staring at me and building their own effiges. So creepy. Got the scare of my life when i went to chop one up and he wasn't dead. He got up, hit me and ran away.

It's so good, i don't want to play anymore :(

Associate
Played some more of this tonight, the update seems great so far - performance has improved quite significantly (much smoother now), a lot of textures and effects seem more refined and other graphical improvements have been made.

Unfortunately the plane crashed in a terrible location for me this time, it was right next to some sort of tribal settlement and lots of tribes people started attacking before I could even build a hunting shelter :( I still need to find a great place to build up a camp, next to a high, vertical rock with lots of trees nearby and close to the shoreline would be ideal.

Game is really coming along though and it is amazing for such an early build, it should be absolutely brilliant by the time of full release!

Associate
Starting location is random, or at least it was in v0.01 - I've only started one new game in v0.02 so I'm not sure if it's still random or not. I also started near a lake which happened to be on the border of the current playable map (walking into the lake prompted "Area not available during current build" message).

Associate
Yes it works but you do lose some items, its better than before though.
I haven't died on loading yet either, which is an improvement ;)

Soldato
hmmm, not much point in playing if save doesnt work. I dont have time to spend 3 hours playing to try and survive 5 days.

Have they changed it now so it doesnt say "you cannot carry any more raw fish" when you carry too many rocks??

Associate
That hasn't been fixed, but other stuff has.

Its still fun to play and a little addictive, but if anyone takes it too seriously right now they will be dissapointed. Its just not worth toiling hours to make something you will lose anyway.

Soldato
This is a promising title.

I absolutely cacked myself when I was playing today... it's truly terrifying to be surprised when you least expect it. Mystery horror in abundance.

Associate
My base is coming along nicely.. Its obviously been a complete waste of time as the natives can just glitch through the walls, but its been fun, and it shows you can play long enough to do something without bugged saves killing you off.

Soldato
Nice little base you have going there.
I gave this a quick 30 minute blast & ended up playing for a lot longer, nice to see a few bugs ironed out, and the save worked for me from a random test I did.

Can't wait for the finished product!

Can you delete placed items? When they're not built, I keep accidentally placing walls which I don't want, and then can't remove them?

Associate
Played more of this today, still a great experience - really looking forward to the final product and I'm very glad that I bought this as soon as it was released for early access so that I can help with the development cycle and see the game evolve as it goes forward :)

The graphics are really quite astonishing for a title produced by only a few people, the grass and plants look very good - some of the best foliage graphics I have ever seen in fact.

Soldato
Patch is out, just over 300 meg.

Peaceful mode, player head, house boat, inventory saving fixed, better sound effects, new surprise item and more. - v0.03
1 JULY - DISHMINK
Hey Everyone,

Here’s our second major patch adding some new features, and fixing a bunch more bugs. We’ve also finally added a player head!!

As always, please continue to post your bug reports and feedback in the Discussions area of the Community Hub or send them in to [email protected].

Version 0.03 Changelog:

Features/improvements:

No enemies mode! Type “veganmode” on title screen to activate (without the “”)
Player head added! And held items now correctly cast shadows
New suprise item added to plane
Yacht location is now random
Bats now correctly fly out of cave entrances
Partially built structures are now saved
Fixed water not accumulating on terrain when raining
Cassette player can now be turned off by clicking it a second time if it’s already playing
Log Cabin now has a floor, a door with hinge and a sleeping/saving spot
Birds will now land on window ledge of your built log cabin
Molotov will extinguish if in contact with water
Improved sunset/sunrise lighting
Two new effigies buildable, simple head on stick and arms pointing to sky
House boat buildable (Warning : buggy!! - especially with sharks. Also, may sink)
Stick marker added to custom building, quickly build yourself waypoints
Coral and seaweed added under water (rough)
New buildable item : Stick holder
Inventory can now carry 1 additional stick (to make shelter construction easier)
Small texture tweaks/improvements
Shadow distance increased for High and mid settings
Improved motion blur on held items
Hanging rope pick ups added to deep in caves
New cave lighting prop: Laptop
11 new filmic inspired grade options added to graphic options menu
Bench now buildable via book section ‘Furniture’
Single bat prefab added to parts of caves
Improved lilypad pop-in
Med pickups now go direct to inventory instead of being eaten on pickup

Sounds:

Improved cannibal village track implementation
‘Lake’ track added to Geese Lake
Bash pass at all ambient sound implementation, better transitions, better positioning, fall off and ranges
Thunder and rain sounds randomized
Cave audio pass, adding reverb and echo, better balancing
Underwater sound filter added
Water footsteps sounds now play when you walk into water

Performance:

More memory optimizations should improve stability
Lowered memory usage further if 32bit windows is detected, should fix crash on opening if less than 4gbs of usable memory is available (note: 4gb usable is still recommended)

Bugs:

Head no longer pokes through collision!
Fixed some items missing from inventory when game was loaded
Fixed collision where you could wall walk out of plane
Fixed can’t carry more raw fish message that would appear when you had too many rocks.
Fixed pond covered in logs
Fixed left hand held conflicts between lighter, torch walkman etc
Removed gleam on inventory coins and flares
Fixed floating garden
Fixed leaf vertex colors on small leaf hut
Fixed flare gun falling through yacht
Fixed log going to -1 if you died whilst holding a log
Fixed small effigy construction shader being too faint
Removed grass cutting from opening inventory (was causing crashes on some pc’s)

Back
Top Bottom