Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Curious how you did this. I'm assuming all black primer then...I don't know! Id guess airbrushed for how smooth the transitions are but how did you mask the black?

I gave it a rattle can primer of black because it’s big enough that it gets handled a lot during painting but really it’s a prime of AK dirty red (dual exo coloured primer) then black red from underneath, carmine for the sort of middle/highlight then scarlet red for the brightest bit. All AK.

I blacked everything out with a brush. Was as fun as you would imagine.

Soldato
Was experimenting on my apothecary I forgot I had. Quite pleased with it but might go back and add more midone.
A few misfires, need to totally do the shoulder carrying the jar thing again but should look decent after basing a few more bits.

Associate
Struggling.

I do feel like I am a lazy ******* sometimes, I’ve had grey knight and imperial knight models built for several months now. Primed them but just haven’t had the will or desire to paint them.

Genuinely think I’m scared of being terrible at it the whole cycle of failure.

Urgh I need to find my balls and get on with it.

Soldato
Struggling.

I do feel like I am a lazy ******* sometimes, I’ve had grey knight and imperial knight models built for several months now. Primed them but just haven’t had the will or desire to paint them.

Bad habit to get in to but you can undo/fix just about anything. Be it totally stripping it, covering up a mistake with your base coat or simply re priming it all over again.
I've been failing for over a year, makes you appreciate the little wins.

*Bad habit being the stripping

Last edited:
Associate
Struggling.

Trust me you will be fine with it, I have been only painting minis since October last year and I am feeling more confident which each model that I paint, it's just a learning curve, take your time and you will soon get there I am sure.

Happy Painting ;)

Soldato
@Noxia I see you getting the hang of that airbrush. I think that model looks neat. Just crying out for a pin wash.

Thanks, getting better but still get caught out when I think nothing's coming out and then suddenly, oops.

I shall be using my first ever oil pinwash on this model I have some Abteilung paynes grey which is a bluey grey.

If I recall the process correctly, I need to base some of the other colours in first and then do a gloss varnish, put decals on if any, do the pin wash, clean up spills and then matt varnish.

Also that Apoth has some ruddy big gap and I've no idea why. Don't really care either :D

Last edited:
Associate
One more finished, might get the squad done by the end of the year at this rate! Tried to freehand the marble base, might try a different technique next time because I'm not sure how much I like it.

edit: Man it's crazy how photos bring out flaws in the paint that you can't see without a magnifying glass in person!

Last edited:
Soldato
Got 5 Assault Intercessors built and currently prepping 10 Intercessors. The models cleaned up nicely. I’ve really started to notice how bad my model prep was when I first started. It really pays to spend the extra time to clear the mold lines.

After that I got 5 incursor and the models I’m most looking forward to repainting is the 5 hounds of morkai!!

The sanding pen I got is a god send but you really can do some damage with it lol just another handy hobby tool.

@RobHu
So much trim on those models!! Love the sword.

Last edited:
Associate
Got 5 Assault Intercessors built and currently prepping 10 Intercessors. The models cleaned up nicely. I’ve really started to notice how bad my model prep was when I first started. It really pays to spend the extra time to clear the mold lines.

After that I got 5 incursor and the models I’m most looking forward to repainting is the 5 hounds of morkai!!

The sanding pen I got is a god send but you really can do some damage with it lol just another handy hobby tool.

@RobHu
So much trim on those models!! Love the sword.
Oh Yes those sanding pens are a great help, been using mine a lot both the rotary and reciprocating one ;)

Associate

Airbrushed these Flesh Eater Courts today with Vallejo white polyurethane primer, after assembling the Archregent (one on the pillar) last night.

Getting a bit fed up painting blue Space Marines and I fancied a change, I am seriously considering airbrushing the marines blue first rather than hand painting the armour, just want speed up the process a bit as I bought a pot of the airbrush Macragge blue last weekend primarily for my Dreadnaught.

Cheers all

Soldato
@roman59 I'd opt for the airbrush 9/10 times personally. Then again, can be less hassle sometimes just filling a cup or two with water and using brushes. I have to be in the mood for the cleanup with airbrush.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Built the new paint rack tonight.

Exactly as planned, can take any paints comfortably, stacks as high as needed, nice and sturdy. Could maybe do with some sort of "topper" just to add that final bit of rigidity.

Well chuffed.

2024-03-14 23_05_01.jpg

Soldato
Remember that Imperial Guard army I cheesed from GW through the Christmas box sets? I finally decided to start throwing some colour at them!

I don’t have an airbrush, so all about carving my way through them as efficiently as possible. Won’t be painting these to the highest standard.

Zom

Zom

Associate
One more finished, might get the squad done by the end of the year at this rate! Tried to freehand the marble base, might try a different technique next time because I'm not sure how much I like it.

edit: Man it's crazy how photos bring out flaws in the paint that you can't see without a magnifying glass in person!
NGL I didn't see any flaws from the photos but I guess if you painted it you can spot them a lot easier. I really like the effect you have on the sword.

Associate

Used GW Macragge Blue (Air ) through my airbush this afternoon, actually quite impressed with the paint quality only added a couple of drops of flow improver to the straight out of the bottle paint.

Masked off the parts with good old fashioned cling film ;)

Cheers All

Zom

Zom

Associate

Used GW Macragge Blue (Air ) through my airbush this afternoon, actually quite impressed with the paint quality only added a couple of drops of flow improver to the straight out of the bottle paint.

Masked off the parts with good old fashioned cling film ;)

Cheers All
Looks good. Have you used an airbrush much before? I've just got a H&S Ultra 2024 and a Sparmax 620X compressor. Going to get it setup tonight and give it a whirl. First order of business is just going to be priming some of my BloodBowl minis.

Associate
Looks good. Have you used an airbrush much before? I've just got a H&S Ultra 2024 and a Sparmax 620X compressor. Going to get it setup tonight and give it a whirl. First order of business is just going to be priming some of my BloodBowl minis.
Thanks, I have been using an airbrush for just over 4 years now I currently own an Iwata Eclipse plus 2 H&S Infinity CR Plus brushes, also I run a Sparmax TC610 Plus compressor.

I tend to prime all my stuff with an airbrush so much cheaper than rattle cans plus less waste too.

I cant stress enough just make sure you clean out your airbrush each time after use & it will serve you well :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom