Tag Mclaren.

Soldato
OP
G3ZzgEf.png

Sod it, done the RCA connector. The Audioquest cable came today, will take that home with me.

Associate
Not much going to happen today. The board is going out tomorrow first class, so all I need to do later is fix the power button wire (one broke off). Might have a tidy tinker then, but what I do want is a better remote.

I tested the one I bought on Windows and Kodi in Windows. It works fine. The problem is I can not access the area where the hole is for the IR sensor. The drive covers it. I'm not about to start trying to make it work with the original sensor (if that is even possible) and one thing nagging me is "Will it work in Linux?". I doubt it.

What I had forgotten was modern remotes use 2.4ghz wireless for the signal. So I got this.

B0JB9Mo.jpg

It also works in Linux. It would also be very handy to have a keyboard there if I ever need to change the WIFI details and what not.
I recognise this measurement text font...

Soldato
OP
I fitted the USB cable in last night. So it should be a case of get sound stuffs, mount sound board on table, glue in table, plug it in and put the lid on. Ripped a load more CDs last night. All done on those now. It also managed to rip two CDs I could not rip all of before, so that was nice. I think by sacrificing the actual writer it reads better. Could be way wrong on that, could just be it's a Sony drive and thus will read their own music stuff better.

Ah, forgot one thing. I don't know if the isolator is going to fit in there straight into the board. Time you put a USB into it it could poke out quite a bit. So I got this.

P6wtA5P.png

Also for a laugh I will talk about ripping CDs. I forgot that douchey Sony put protection on audio CDs so they could not be played in computers. They are actually DATA cds, and when you launch them it has an embedded player that will play it back at like 1khz. It sounds absolutely terrible. In the end they stopped it, because other CD players were having trouble reading it. Any way, a couple of the CDs I have are Sony (IE the music company) and from the early 2000s. As such they ripped and sounded horrid. Thankfully I then realised how to get around it. You have to play the CD, skip a few tracks until it sounds normal, THEN rip it. So it would seem Kodi knows about it, and once you play it you can bypass the nastiness and rip. I ripped all of them last night. I even had successful rips on two CDs I bought years ago that crashed about half way through. So that was nice. I think it is because the DVD writers are not so good at actually reading CDs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I fitted the USB cable in last night. So it should be a case of get sound stuffs, mount sound board on table, glue in table, plug it in and put the lid on. Ripped a load more CDs last night. All done on those now. It also managed to rip two CDs I could not rip all of before, so that was nice. I think by sacrificing the actual writer it reads better. Could be way wrong on that, could just be it's a Sony drive and thus will read their own music stuff better.

Ah, forgot one thing. I don't know if the isolator is going to fit in there straight into the board. Time you put a USB into it it could poke out quite a bit. So I got this.

P6wtA5P.png

Also for a laugh I will talk about ripping CDs. I forgot that douchey Sony put protection on audio CDs so they could not be played in computers. They are actually DATA cds, and when you launch them it has an embedded player that will play it back at like 1khz. It sounds absolutely terrible. In the end they stopped it, because other CD players were having trouble reading it. Any way, a couple of the CDs I have are Sony (IE the music company) and from the early 2000s. As such they ripped and sounded horrid. Thankfully I then realised how to get around it. You have to play the CD, skip a few tracks until it sounds normal, THEN rip it. So it would seem Kodi knows about it, and once you play it you can bypass the nastiness and rip. I ripped all of them last night. I even had successful rips on two CDs I bought years ago that crashed about half way through. So that was nice. I think it is because the DVD writers are not so good at actually reading CDs.

You need to skip past the malware tracks, they sound terrible!

"Sony BMG initially denied that the rootkits were harmful. It then released an uninstaller for one of the programs that merely made the program's files invisible while also installing additional software that could not be easily removed, collected an email address from the user and introduced further security vulnerabilities."

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah it was pretty nuts that.

I attempted to put the cover back on it yesterday. I failed. It was a sod at the best of times, but it seems because of the way I built the internals it would not slot in at the sides any more. So I had to cut off the tangs that used to go in. I also had to cut the back, as it would not clear the new power socket.

So for the first time since the day it arrived it is now back in one whole piece.

2ubHpMo.png

The only issue is you can see the silver through the sides now. Easy bit of painting at the end.

Pw3EWPL.png

It's worse the other side. I had to clearance around back too.

r0aOvl5.png

But it is all happy enough now.

fMuj1TC.png

Soldato
OP
Aye, I am quite excited about getting it home.

I have tried in vain to paint the horn body to finish like, everything. Problem is it has done nothing but rain. *sigh*. Hopefully the later part of August will offer up some better weather. On the days it has not rained I have had family over.

Soldato
Aye, I am quite excited about getting it home.

I have tried in vain to paint the horn body to finish like, everything. Problem is it has done nothing but rain. *sigh*. Hopefully the later part of August will offer up some better weather. On the days it has not rained I have had family over.

Humidity in West Sussex in the 60s Saturday and Sunday afternoon...

Soldato
OP
We’ve had two days of reasonable weather in the last month.

Off home now. Noticed one of the sound boards is now in the UK so hopefully that will arrive before I come back.

Soldato
OP
Apparently both have now been delivered. I have not tracked the isolator, but it may be there also.

I go back next Thursday, possibly on Weds. However, I have a couple of "side quests" to do before I can bring it home.

Soldato
OP
I'm back. All parts are here.

Sadly I have had to take on a behemoth of a project I am really not in the mood for, so this is on the back burner for at least a couple of weeks.

Harumph.

Back
Top Bottom