Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Pay in the UK

Soldato
I'm convinced due to their dubious competitive nature that Barclays terminals are blocking AP. Anyone noticed this? I haven't used AP a huge amount but the 30% or so times it fails on me I've noticed the terminal has Barclays branding on it :confused: Very dubious, wouldn't put it past them to block AP. I've already got my girlfriend to check it out (she works for a payment company and hates Barclays with a passion) :p

Tesco self service terminals won't scan your digitally stored clubcard, you must use the manned checkouts as the SS checkout scanners just won't scan them. You also don't need to wake the phone with Barclays contactless payments..

check 3 posts above yours :p

i'm a happy bunny. give the user the choice. those worried about security now have it, and those wanting ultimate convenience can have it too

Man of Honour
Been & Go works in addition to the barcode and sends a signal supported by many scanners and only on Samsung phones as an extra method of sending your loyalty card details. This app may work where Stocard does not. Tesco checkouts don't work either way, though. Morrisons is fine.

Beep & Go supports all the cards I have in Stocard.

Soldato
Been & Go works in addition to the barcode and sends a signal supported by many scanners and only on Samsung phones as an extra method of sending your loyalty card details. This app may work where Stocard does not. Tesco checkouts don't work either way, though. Morrisons is fine.

Beep & Go supports all the cards I have in Stocard.

Beep & Go worked where Stocard failed. Thanks.

Can you link to anything explaining the 'sending a signal'?

Man of Honour
Beep & Go worked where Stocard failed. Thanks.

Can you link to anything explaining the 'sending a signal'?

It's this Mobeam technology:

As mentioned though, only flagship Samsung phones (S4 and above) support it.

I'm surprised a bigger song and dance hasn't been made about it, as it's supremely more convenient than carrying around a thick wallet full of loyalty cards etc.

Associate
As mentioned though, only flagship Samsung phones (S4 and above) support it.

Why only Samsung? Surely if it's sending pulses of light, that can be done from any phone screen? Or is it using the notification LED??

Would love to have that feature, I must've lost out on hundreds of £ worth of loyalty points over the years not being able to scan barcodes at self service checkouts!

Soldato
OK, so my experience with Google Pay:

Latest version of the app - 3.9
Nexus 5 - Android 6.0.1
Locked via a pattern

Original bootloader, etc.

First Direct debit card. Went through the correct process to add it - so added card, the add phoned my bank, I spoke with a real person who confirmed my ID and sent a push command out, my app updated.
I've had an email from both Android Pay & First Direct telling me I'm good to go.

Generic PC component shop. Barclaycard contactless terminal. Woke-up phone, unlocked it with the correct pattern. Moved phone to terminal as I would a contactless card and nothing. None of the green lights lit up. Moved the phone around, moved it closer, at no point did any lights come on the terminal, payment timed out.

Costa. Cannot remember make of terminal. Went through exactly the same steps, but on moving the phone to the terminal at no point did any of the green lights come on.

Tried it with and without its case.
At the generic PC shop a friend of mine used Apple Pay - went straight through. At Costa my wife used her contactless card and that went through as well....immediately.

So, any ideas? Anything I'm missing? Any other apps I should really be running on the phone at the same time? Any tests I can do?
Help greatly appreciated.

Associate
Has anybody had any luck making large-ish payments with AP?

Went to pay for my weekly groceries at a Tesco scan-as-you-shop, and while the amount was under the AP limit, for about 5 or 6 attempts the terminal read the phone but just kept saying "card presented too early"
Then a couple of times AP actually asked for my pin/fingerprint, but even then the terminal just said "card presented too early", even when on on occasion I left it a good 15 seconds after it asked for a card to be presented or inserted.

Gave up and went back to just my debit card....first time I've had a problem with AP, but first time I've tried a transaction over £30

Soldato
Have you tried your NFC with something else? (It is turned on, right?)

NFC is definitely turned on.
What would be the best way to confirm that side of things is actually working? Sorry, I am quite tech savvy, but NFC is really not something I've had the need to encounter and use etc :)

Soldato
NFC is definitely turned on.
What would be the best way to confirm that side of things is actually working? Sorry, I am quite tech savvy, but NFC is really not something I've had the need to encounter and use etc :)

Use NFC tools and slap any contactless card on the back of your handset. If it detects it then details will show up and the NFC part is confirmed working.

Back
Top Bottom