Tap. Pay. UK. - Android Pay in the UK

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Filled up with with petrol today at shell, £71 and it worked fine with android pay. Also worked fine at tesco, spar and various pubs for smaller amounts.

Hopefully it will get to the stage where I don't have to carry a wallet about day to day, not quite there yet it seems by the posts above.

I'm with hsbc and have a z5 compact.

Soldato
I'm getting a bit miffed with Android Pay now. Went to a new coffee shop next to the tube station, went to pay with AP. Card machine beeps (tick), AP shows a tick and beeps (tick).. but the girl tells me it didn't go through? Huh? :confused: So I check my AP history, no transaction. I ask if she's sure.. yes. Oh ok. I'll try again. Same thing. Machine beeps, phone beeps and shows a success. Yet it doesn't go through. What's going on? :confused:

She said it didn't go through again, girlfriend is getting impatient and insisted it must have as the machine beeped (it shouldn't unless transaction was succesfull).. so in the end the girl is nice and I get a free coffee. Could be worse but still what a faff. I think I'd sooner reach for my card rather than take the chance. Which is not a good sign.

Anyone else had all that bother? It's not the first time.

I had this problem in Greggs, it seems the phone works quicker than the scanners so I had to hold the device there for a bit longer and it all went through fine. The lady working the till seemed to be aware of the issue as well.

It's the only problem I've had, every other use has been smooth sailing :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I had this problem in Greggs, it seems the phone works quicker than the scanners so I had to hold the device there for a bit longer and it all went through fine. The lady working the till seemed to be aware of the issue as well.

It's the only problem I've had, every other use has been smooth sailing :)
Hmn interesting. What gets me is that the machine beeps. Which it shouldn't unless the transaction was successful. :confused:

Man of Honour
Amex have updated their app as of today to support contactless payments, just like the Barclays app. I expect it will work anywhere the physical card used to work (most places these days now), so will be using that instead of Barclays from now on as I can retain the cashback rewards enrolled on the card.

The FAQ says you need to unlock the phone to make a contactless payment though, whereas with Barclays it works with the screen off.

Will see how it goes, then switch back if I find I preferred the convenience of the Barclays version.

Soldato
Anyone had this rather weird issue?

Used Android pay in a Boots store in Bristol the other day and when I checked afterwards this is what it showed for the details of the transaction:

androidpay1.jpg

There is an option to report incorrect shop info so I guess this must be a thing that happens occasionally, when I reported it the details were instantly corrected.

Also, I've used it at a Tesco a couple of times this week and it comes up saying I've used it in Costa, though when I select incorrect shop info on this occasion it doesn't correct it. I wondered if its using location as there is a costa very close by, though that doesn't explain the Boots situation.

Not really an issue as my bank statement shows the correct details, just thought it was quite funny.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Anyone had this rather weird issue?

Used Android pay in a Boots store in Bristol the other day and when I checked afterwards this is what it showed for the details of the transaction:

androidpay1.jpg

There is an option to report incorrect shop info so I guess this must be a thing that happens occasionally, when I reported it the details were instantly corrected.

Also, I've used it at a Tesco a couple of times this week and it comes up saying I've used it in Costa, though when I select incorrect shop info on this occasion it doesn't correct it. I wondered if its using location as there is a costa very close by, though that doesn't explain the Boots situation.

Not really an issue as my bank statement shows the correct details, just thought it was quite funny.

It's only done it on mine if I've not had 4g, it will use the location of where it last had internet.

Soldato
OP
Also enjoying the promotion so far. Managed to bag me Odeon tickets and the £3 Costa credit. I don't drink at these places though so no idea what to really do! So far AP has been flawless for me on the 6P. Hasn't failed me once at places like Boots, Waitrose, and TFL.

Soldato
It's way too touch and go now and it's starting to **** me off. Standing there holding it to the sensor whilst it either does nothing or still does it little tick whilst the machine rejects it. Then I have to get my card out anyway. Rather just get out my card and save the hassle of holding everyone up looking like a moron. When it works it works great, but much like voice commands it really needs to just work every time.

barclays almost always works. usually doesn't when i'm not logged in after a restart of the phone (i guess android pay doesn't need you to login after phone restart?) or if i pull away too quickly it might need a second go. i still find it work over 90% of the time

Associate
Just started using Android pay this week and it's worked every time. Always made sure screen is unlocked. Got myself a £10 Costa Coffee voucher on my 3rd transaction so pretty chuffed so far

Back
Top Bottom