Tennis

Soldato
I see Emma Reducanu is already out of that practice run for the Australian open :(

At least Nadal comfortably won.

Lol. Lost a tight match against a former world #3 who knocked out Caroline Wozniacki (former world #1) in straight sets in the last round. I'd say that is pretty damn good.

I didn't see the whole match, but it looks like stamina got the better of her. Understandable given it's only her 2nd match back.

I think it's a shame she's managed to get into the main draw of the AO. Going through qualifying would have likely done her some good in terms of getting back up to match fitness.

Nadal has been great so far, but we won't know what his fitness is really like until he is tested. Rune would be a decent test if they both get through. There is a risk of both Nadal and Raducanu (and Osaka) facing top level opponents at the AO early on.

Last edited:
Associate
Emma's tennis is full on aggressive tennis, she made Elina play like her (generally a defensive player, thou is trying to be more aggressive)
for the few points i saw, i thought it looked positive, thou the fact she has a bandage on her leg is a concern at this early stage

Lol. Lost a tight match against a former world #3 who knocked out Caroline Wozniacki (former world #1) in straight sets in the last round. I'd say that is pretty damn good.

I didn't see the whole match, but it looks like stamina got the better of her. Understandable given it's only her 2nd match back.

I think it's a shame she's managed to get into the main draw of the AO. Going through qualifying would have likely done her some good in terms of getting back up to match fitness.

Nadal has been great so far, but we won't know what his fitness is really like until he is tested. Rune would be a decent test if they both get through. There is a risk of both Nadal and Raducanu (and Osaka) facing top level opponents at the AO early on.
Yes, I definitely should have read properly what happened :p

Relieved really that aside stamina she is still the player that wowed us all at the US open!

I think with Novak injured Nadal might have an easier ride but there are so many young guys coming through now.

Caporegime
Nadal's out of the Australian Open with a muscle tear, Dimitrov won the Brisbane open, and only dropped a set to Murray in the first round, and Svitolina made the Auckland final and took a set off Gauff.

Murray and Raducanu came close to beating the eventual winner and finalist so puts their performances in to perspective.

Soldato
Nadal's out of the Australian Open with a muscle tear, Dimitrov won the Brisbane open, and only dropped a set to Murray in the first round, and Svitolina made the Auckland final and took a set off Gauff.

Murray and Raducanu came close to beating the eventual winner and finalist so puts their performances in to perspective.

Latter is just a big fat meh to be honest.

Rafa will try get fit for the FO then reckon that’ll be him. He did say the other day he might do another year but I doubt it.

Sad time for tennis, as it has fallen off a cliff.

Soldato
Nice win for Draper who sets up a match against Tommy Paul which won't be easy.

Comfortable win for Raducanu. Probably the type of match she needs. She didn't play as well IMO as she did against Svitolina but that was mostly due to the Rogers failing to bring the pace. Funnily enough, Svitolina said that match against Raducanu was one of the best 3 matches she's ever played in terms of performance.

the good news for Raducanu is unlike last year she won't have Gauff in the second round. The bad news is Wang is just the sort of opponent she's lost to in the past.

Personally, I've to see Boulter and Raducanu overcome their Chinese opposition to set up a battle of the Brits in Rnd3.

Soldato
Shame for Boulter but Zheng is a top 12 seed so kind of expect. Though after her win against Pegula recently, I thought she might have a change.

Raducanu struggled a lot in the first set but showed some fight in the second. Y.Wang is the kind of player she can easily lose to though, so she really needs to be on it in the third set. One thing about Emma is that she struggles more than most in windy conditions like they have today.

Wang has been off court for a long time now, got to be getting to the 5min time limit.

EDIT: Raducanu looks gassed. Might not quite have the fitness for a battle in the third. Second edit: Not gassed. Something else wrong. Almost throwing up between points. Remind me of Djokovic in Cincinnati.

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn’t watch that semi final was sleeping but seen results so I won’t be able to rewatch it knowing that.

May (hopefully) start to signal the end of Novax now that he’s been toppled in his own house.

Still got to be a massive favourite for the rest of the slams but more of them (next gen) actually taking the game to him is a good sign as they’ve been hopeless for about 10-15 years against the big four.

Soldato
Djokovic hammered :cool:

Just watched the highlights on youtube. Must have been brilliant to see.

I just checked bet365, i’m shocked that Alcaraz is actually favourite for the French and wimbledon! Yet Novax is still favourite for his least successful slam which is more likely to have a random winner unlikely winner. Even having two finals not featuring the big 4 in the last 20 years.

AO first time since 2005 - no big four in the final
FO hasn’t happened since 2004
Wim 2002!

Soldato
Sinner has had Djokovic's number in the last few meetings. He's also a bad match up for Alcaraz too.

Personally I was hoping for a Djokovic final, and possibly a calendar year grand slam, before he retires, but would be happy to see Sinner win the AO. Problem for him is if Medvedev gets past Zverev. Medvedev's style matches up very well against Sinner. And he'd had the better Zverev too.

Zverev is in sensational form though, so I'm going to put my neck on the line and predict a Zverev - Sinner final. With Zverev winning. That will throw people's knickers in a twist, given how hated he is for the domestic abuse allegations. Reddit will meltdown. Hope Jelana Dokic has a little dig at him in the interview.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom