*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
New personal best in 5x5 squats last night... 97.5kg

I appreciate that's light compared to what many are doing but am quite pleased as I struggled with 50kg when I started in June. Obviously aiming for that 100kg psychological barrier but my form wasn't great at this weight so need to get that right before going up again :)

Mirin' that squat mate. I'm currently @ 60KG on my squats, progression on SL should lead me to 90kg by the end of the month but no way i'll hit it. If I can hit 100KG by the end of march i'll be content.

Soldato
New personal best in 5x5 squats last night... 97.5kg

I appreciate that's light compared to what many are doing but am quite pleased as I struggled with 50kg when I started in June. Obviously aiming for that 100kg psychological barrier but my form wasn't great at this weight so need to get that right before going up again :)

Great stuff! Better to have great form and wait a week to pass through a number. A good squat is what makes a man (and not a mouse like me!)

Associate
So I cancelled my GymBox subscription today as I can't justify £70/month for a purely weekend workout routine. Looking for something a bit closer to home as well, around the Balham/Clapham/Tooting area of SW London. Anyone got any recommendations? I checked out Pure Gym and The Gym Group in Stockwell today, both are mainly cardio gyms although they have a decent enough free weights section.

Soldato
His 218kg C&J is ridiculous too!

Just learnt something new - apparently even with their amazing mobility and short femurs, most of the Chinese team still have cobblers add more (varying) height to the heels of their Romaleos, Adipowers etc (not sure if those new Anta ones they're wearing have a higher heel as standard). Guessing for anyone with longer femurs it might help even more, although probably cheaper just to buy an insert to stick in under the insole.

Associate
If you can make it to Putney there is one of the best gyms I've been to there...

No reason I couldn't make it to Putney for an unbeatable offer. All I really need is somewhere without massive queues for the squat rack at a reasonable price. I've just seen The Gym Group is opening a Charing Cross branch at £14.99 a month with no contract or joining fee. Seems promising.

Associate
I go to a gym group place. Joined pre offer £10 a month. I go during the day so it's quiet, otherwise the single squat rack would be an issue.

Man of Honour
No reason I couldn't make it to Putney for an unbeatable offer. All I really need is somewhere without massive queues for the squat rack at a reasonable price. I've just seen The Gym Group is opening a Charing Cross branch at £14.99 a month with no contract or joining fee. Seems promising.
That will be cheaper than Physical Culture in Putney but if you do go there ask for Phil (the owner) and tell him Will suggested you check out the gym :)

He's got a few squat racks. Another reason I love my gym. 4 squat racks! :D

Soldato

They will only have one squat rack/bench rack so you can imagine how busy it is!

Associate
Good start to 2015, uni gym is open during term time, but is still operating on holiday opening times, thus 9-5pm is not suitable for medics who are in 8.30-6pm. ********, I was hoping to get in before the influx of January gymmers and internationals who lift weird.

Associate
I will join in this year. Started at the gym last June time (thereabouts) with the intention of gaining some muscle. I had massive issue's with my knee, that actually turned out to be problems with my hamstring and not my knee. It has been quite a long 'recovery' period but I am now able to start squatting etc.

Have joined a new gym in December as they shut my one down that I was going to. It's fair to say I have never been the biggest or strongest person ever, but have been quite happy with the gains I made in 2014.

I have been doing a workout routine that I was helped with in last years thread. This is basically 3x8's on most exercises (3x5 on deadlifts). I have altered it a bit, but it is still 3x8's.

Should I ever 'change this up'? As I said I have seen fairly good gains, but am unsure if a change of routine (going for something like the Stronglifts 5x5) would benefit me?

Associate
Yeah, stalling quite a bit tbh.

As I said I ain't the strongest so please...............lol

Bench Press - 60kg (Smith Machine)
Incline Fly's - 20kg (Dumbells - each dumbell is 20kg obviously)
Deadlifts - 80kg
Squat - 80kg
Overhead press - 40kg
Lateral raises - 8kg
Barbell Curl - 37.5kg
Close grip Press (triceps) - 30kg
1 arm Dumbell Row - 38kg

Do pull up's and dips as well. Dips are unassisted and pull ups have are assisted (10kg).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom