[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Soldato
Morning all!

Just joined a local gym and looking for recommendations on pre workouts supplements and also post workout shakes, not purchased either in years but found they did help back in the day? I’ve been running lots for the last 6 years but got bored and want to change it up again?

Thanks in advance ;)

Man of Honour
Morning all!

Just joined a local gym and looking for recommendations on pre workouts supplements and also post workout shakes, not purchased either in years but found they did help back in the day? I’ve been running lots for the last 6 years but got bored and want to change it up again?

Thanks in advance ;)
Strong coffee (personally hate coffee so I replace this with a 200mg caffeine tablet)/food.

If you're just getting back into it there's really no need to spend the money or overcomplicate things, in fact there's never any need to overcomplicate things unless you're a top tier athlete.

Edit: You can tell I've not had my caffeine fix this morning.
That wasn't supposed to sound quite a short as it does but most of the supplement world is very much just a great marketing machine, there are many very helpful supplements for specific needs and these are now the only ones I take after years of spunking money on the big shiny "must haves!" but none of my money goes on pre workouts I do have a bag of whey hanging around in the cupboard for the odd day I need a top up but a 2.5kg bag will last me a few months. Good food, get your rest in and sensible training will for the vast majority of people see good gains.

Soldato
Strong coffee (personally hate coffee so I replace this with a 200mg caffeine tablet)/food.

If you're just getting back into it there's really no need to spend the money or overcomplicate things, in fact there's never any need to overcomplicate things unless you're a top tier athlete.

Edit: You can tell I've not had my caffeine fix this morning.
That wasn't supposed to sound quite a short as it does but most of the supplement world is very much just a great marketing machine, there are many very helpful supplements for specific needs and these are now the only ones I take after years of spunking money on the big shiny "must haves!" but none of my money goes on pre workouts I do have a bag of whey hanging around in the cupboard for the odd day I need a top up but a 2.5kg bag will last me a few months. Good food, get your rest in and sensible training will for the vast majority of people see good gains.
I didn’t read that as being short at all @tom_e just honest advice! I’ll be honest I normally have a strong black coffee before my runs so this suits me fine, I eat healthy and don’t drink alcohol at all
in the week so I feel like I’m on the right track …

Soldato
Morning all!

Thanks in advance ;)
Post workout really isn't required. The old gym myth of the post workout anabolic window has been well and truly debunked. As long as your eating within 2-3 hours you're golden. If you really want a protein source around your workout then any standard whey protein will do either with water or milk, almond milk etc whatever you like to fill it with for preference.

Pre workouts as advised above a decent coffee will do, the majority of the pep from pre-workouts is caffeine. I've personally never gotten on with pre workouts, as in never really gotten a hype spike from them....except this one time on a gym rats meet with some super Jacked3D (@Steedie remembers)

Soldato
Post workout really isn't required. The old gym myth of the post workout anabolic window has been well and truly debunked. As long as your eating within 2-3 hours you're golden. If you really want a protein source around your workout then any standard whey protein will do either with water or milk, almond milk etc whatever you like to fill it with for preference.

Pre workouts as advised above a decent coffee will do, the majority of the pep from pre-workouts is caffeine. I've personally never gotten on with pre workouts, as in never really gotten a hype spike from them....except this one time on a gym rats meet with some super Jacked3D (@Steedie remembers)
Thanks bud, I do remember Jacked back in the day, was way too strong for my liking :eek:

Man of Honour
Whole milk, chicken thighs, peanuts, pine nuts on this weeks food shop. Guess what season it is :p

Going to have a few weeks of only 4-5 day workouts, so going to have to pack everything in as much as possible.

dod

dod

Soldato
Anyway, ive taken a punt on BBW's taster pack and have 5 flavours from them to try, the only thing im not keen on is they use stevia as one of their sweetners, im just hoping its not going to cause too much of an after taste!
Sorry for quoting an old post but how did you find the after taste, if at all?

Was just about to put in an order to MP but the price increases are a bit steep :|

Soldato
Sorry for quoting an old post but how did you find the after taste, if at all?

Was just about to put in an order to MP but the price increases are a bit steep :|
The BBW Flavours were good enough. They use stevia sweetner and you can notice its more bitter taste, espeically in the strawberry for example.

In terms of pricing i dont actually think there is much in it now, its all about timing a deal with which ever one is doing an offer at the time you want to order. Best code for MP right now is BEAST that i can find. Gets you 2.5kg of Whey for just under £50.

Reactions: dod
Associate
Quick one, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pair of trainers for the gym, I tend to wear my running shoes and they're kinda pushing me forward a little during squats.

Soldato
My bag of whey protein is running out, can anyone reccomend one that ends up more like a milkshake than soup? The last few I've had from different brands all end up thick and heavy. When I get pre-made ones from the shop they more like a traditional milkshake.

Soldato
My bag of whey protein is running out, can anyone reccomend one that ends up more like a milkshake than soup? The last few I've had from different brands all end up thick and heavy. When I get pre-made ones from the shop they more like a traditional milkshake.
Add more water to it? You have full control over the thiccness of your shake ;)
Quick one, can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pair of trainers for the gym, I tend to wear my running shoes and they're kinda pushing me forward a little during squats.
If you can squat barefoot then do that, if not make sure to get a shoe with a nice wide toe box.

Back
Top Bottom