[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Man of Honour
Does anyone know of any decent training apps? Just fancy a bit of inspiration and a bit of logging capability. I'm a bit bored of 531 and other variations and just fancy something a bit different.

Soldato
OP
With programming?

If you don’t mind paying £30 a month to be coached by a spreadsheet algorithm Juggernaut have their AI Powerlifting app (w/Powerbuilding also included, where you set a % of how much volume goes to the comp lifts) that uses Chad Wesely Smith’s training methodology and machine learning to create a program for you and then recommends weights and volumes session to session based on things like top set performance. As it’s RPE and feedback based you have to be brutally honest otherwise you end up being given more and more work to do, which is the main criticism from what I’ve seen, but some people seem to do very well on it. Can be trialled for free for a couple of weeks. I’m not sure if there’s anything similar out there for strength training.

Otherwise you have a plethora of log-based apps, some with crappy bodybuilding programs added.

I’m still using Strong to log, but I was a member before they went to a subscription model and don’t pay anything. Easy to use and clean interface.

Man of Honour
Yeah I use stronglifts similarly I was signed up before it was a paid app.

I'm just a bit bored of my training just fancied a change but not willing to spend THAT much a month. Thanks though. I'll have a think and a browse.

Just looking for inspiration more than anything!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ah the Reddit one. You’d probably like one of GZCL‘s (Cody LeFever) numerous programmes too since they’re based around the big lifts whilst still offering decent variety.

Didn't realise it was a Reddit one!

But it's got everything I like, Bor, deads (both variations), squats (front and back), bench, and pull ups and so on. I'm loving it so far it's pretty brutal to be honest!

Soldato
So its been a long time out everyone, but im now back in the gym (at least trying) after not going much since summer do to my usual summer = Road cycling / Winter = Gym lifestyle split.

Both dont usually go hand in hand, but they are 2 things i enjoy so based on that i doubt I will ever excel in either unless i drop one of the other, which wont happen!

Started up again on Madcow 5x5, took a few weeks of light gym to warm back up into it, and I will see where I can get to this winter.

Current starting place:

ExerciseTest WeightReps
Squat1003
Bench805
Row805
Press455
Deadlift1701
Smallest Plates Available1.25
Match PRs in Week #3

My squat has suffered the most, but even in my last winters training its something i avoided due to previous injury and never got past 140KG out of fear when i had a bit of a groin strain/tear.

Going to try focus on it again lots this year but just take it slow and safe

The rest is about where i expected to be on strength loss given ive not trained it all year.

Not really sure what my weight is but usually fluctuates around 90/5 > So perhaps this year i should start on tracking that a bit better too!

Man of Honour
I love this time of year. My appetite goes through the roof as it gets cooler as does my strength. I’m also starting this bulk from the lowest body fat percentage for some time. I’ve shelved deads for now, but everything else is climbing. Added around 1.5-2kg of mass in September, hoping it continues. The cooked breakfasts and full fat shakes probably help :p

Squats steadily building from 230, bench from 160.

A bit trickier than it was to keep going as I’m away for occasional weekends and weeks at the moment.

I could just do without Covid (as per June) and a sickness bug that threw similar progress last December (although that turned out to be a fungus infested nutribullet seal :()

I ditched whey entirely as it just doesn’t agree with me anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im still slowly progressing with my bulk. Still hitting my 10k steps per day and 4 gym sessions per week. Sleep is still a struggle most nights I'm below 7 hours and sub 50 mins deep/rem :(

Bodyweight is up to 69kg (nice) which is 5kg overall gain since June, at my lowest weight I believe I was around 10% BF so gaining some back to sit in a healthier range is sitting ok with me mentally. Aim for the end of the year is 70kg, i might adjust this depending on how the next month goes.

Hi gym rats. Long time no see!

Looking for personal suggestions on the best budget weight lifting belt. Getting back into stronglifts again this winter and would like to get one
cant go wrong with a strength shop lever belt. 10mm, no need for a 13mm unless you are an absolute unit shifting seriously big weights. 4" version is the standard, i have the 3" purely because im a midget with awkward proportions so it just sits better for me.

I'm taking this week off entirely. My body needs it.
Personally i would suggest a serious deload rather that week off. Your body will thank you for only doing 50% load and 60% volume and your mind will thank you for keeping to the routine. Dont give yourself a snippet of freedom by not going in and moving some iron around!

Soldato
cant go wrong with a strength shop lever belt. 10mm, no need for a 13mm unless you are an absolute unit shifting seriously big weights. 4" version is the standard, i have the 3" purely because im a midget with awkward proportions so it just sits better for me.
I managed to get one from Gunsmith fitness from someone local selling it off brand new unused.

one of these: https://gunsmithfitness.com/collect...erlifting-bodybuilding?variant=12997137694777

Paid £10 cash for it, and collected it last night, and he was right its very clearly unused.

not tried it yet, but will give it a go tonight hopefully on my last set of squats to see how it feels.

Caporegime
Personally i would suggest a serious deload rather that week off. Your body will thank you for only doing 50% load and 60% volume and your mind will thank you for keeping to the routine. Dont give yourself a snippet of freedom by not going in and moving some iron around!
I'll certainly bear that in mind for the future though I will still be having the rest of this week off. :)

Soldato
I managed to get one from Gunsmith fitness from someone local selling it off brand new unused.

one of these: https://gunsmithfitness.com/collect...erlifting-bodybuilding?variant=12997137694777

Paid £10 cash for it, and collected it last night, and he was right its very clearly unused.

not tried it yet, but will give it a go tonight hopefully on my last set of squats to see how it feels.
Nice bargain. Dont just throw on your belt for you last set, put it on in your 2nd to last warm up set!

Soldato
Nice bargain. Dont just throw on your belt for you last set, put it on in your 2nd to last warm up set!
Yeah this is actually what I did.

Can't quite describe how it felt. I mean it felt different but that's to be expected as I have never lifted with any aid before. But I guess I'll see how it goes for a few weeks and I'm sure I'll get more used to it.

Only had it on for squats today. Which are still a long way off any respectable weight (115kg for 5 rep's)

I used to hit around 140kg for 3-5 a long way back before I strained my groin and ever since I never pushed them back there.

I'll take it slow this winter with the squats and see where I can go with them.

Man of Honour
Yeah this is actually what I did.

Can't quite describe how it felt. I mean it felt different but that's to be expected as I have never lifted with any aid before. But I guess I'll see how it goes for a few weeks and I'm sure I'll get more used to it.

Only had it on for squats today. Which are still a long way off any respectable weight (115kg for 5 rep's)

I used to hit around 140kg for 3-5 a long way back before I strained my groin and ever since I never pushed them back there.

I'll take it slow this winter with the squats and see where I can go with them.

Once you get used to it and learn how to use it a belt just becomes an extension of your body, I don’t even notice mine anymore, but I would notice it not being there.

Back
Top Bottom