[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Soldato
Hey broskis,

Back again!

Decided to sack cycling off as it's too cold. The first 2 weeks of transitioning back felt like I was close to dying.

I've been working on rebuilding strength over the last 5 weeks, really surprised to hit a new Deadlift PR of 240KG X 5 after my first block!

Man of Honour
Do you guys wear your belts for all sessions or only above a certain weight?

I don't tend to use my belt for the first 5 weeks or so of a program as everything is under 100kg.

All squats, deads, rows, OHPs these days. Didn’t wear it much in the early days of my training, but I did once the weight got higher.

Man of Honour
All my remaining whey went in the bin yesterday. Progressing fine without it, don’t feel sick anymore, can actually eat more as a result. Win win. Just making sure that I get plenty of protein elsewhere in my diet.

Man of Honour
Speaking of which. Where do you guys buy whey at a reasonable price? Does reasonably priced whey exist? Haha.

PS - By "reasonable" I mean cheap.
£10 per kilo or less is my bite point. Or more accurately, I won't pay anymore. Generally I browse through Hot UK Deals on a daily basis and most protein deals show up on there.

I'd say you also have to be prepared to not be bothered about flavours if you want decent deals. My last three orders have been some kind of chocolate flavour, for example.

Soldato
OP
You just have to wait for MyProtein or Bulk to have one of the bigger sales and buy a few bags then. It still ends up not being as cheap as it once, but it’s a lot closer than the ‘normal’ price.

Man of Honour
Even with Myproteins 45% off "offer" currently it's still £20 per kilo. Nothing on hotukdeals atm but I'll keep a look out.

If you're prepared to give other forms of protein powders a go then Bulk have vanilla pea protein at £26.59 for 2.5kgs.

I also found this protein blend on eBay £33 for 4kg

I've used both of the above, generally to mix with Plain Skyr to add flavor. But have also mixed them with water and milk, as a shake, and they are both fine for flavour and texture. I'm not particularly bothered about either, so your mileage may vary, if you can't just chug it down.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're prepared to give other forms of protein powders a go then Bulk have vanilla pea protein at £26.59 for 2.5kgs.

I also found this protein blend on eBay £33 for 4kg

I've used both of the above, generally to mix with Plain Skyr to add flavor. But have also mixed them with water and milk, as a shake, and they are both fine for flavour and texture. I'm not particularly bothered about either, so your mileage may vary, if you can't just chug it down.
That whey is nice and cheap! Have you had any gut problems or anything with it?

Man of Honour
That whey is nice and cheap! Have you had any gut problems or anything with it?
Nope.

But 95% of my diet is clean, healthy, whole and home cooked. Loads of fruit and vegetables etc, as well as a good balance of nuts, seeds and healthy fats. Whether that has any bearing on the protein powder I use is hard to say.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just wondering what people will make of my current back routine. All advice is appreciated.

I want to be sure that I'm stimulating all the sections of the back when training.

I usually perform the following exercises:

Deadlifts; Barbell Rows; Lat Pulldowns; Seated Rowing; Dumbell Shrugs.

I believe I'm hitting all of the back with the above but I'd appreciate the input. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It’s all about how you set up and execute the movements. Arching the upper back, having the scaps retract as you pull and concentrating more on ‘elbows back’ will bias the upper back more. Keeping the back neutral, depressing the scaps and concentrating more on ‘elbows down’ and staying close to your sides will bias the lats more.

You can do a horizontal and vertical pull and they can both end up doing more or less the same thing depending on how they’re performed.

Soldato
Has anyone tried the stronglifts subscription service? I've just signed for a week free trial and apart from the warm up routines, I'm struggling to see what else it includes
I've used it on and off over the years and will probably go back on it shortly after a long layoff. It really is a good system for starting building strength before you move to more advanced stuff.

Main thing with the app is it lets you customise the workout with assistance exercises.

Soldato
So I'm moving and I have been looking for a new gym. Due to the location i'm looking at a 16-20 min drive, one way, to get to the gym without traffic (7 miles or 9 miles depending on which one i choose). So a 40 min drive per session. 4 Sessions per week minimum.

Am i right in thinking this is a tad excessive or have i just been lucky with my gym locations in the past (last 2 gyms were within 2 miles)?

I am consdering cycling this distance, which would be great for my cardio but I'm concerned on how this will affect my lifts and performance in the gym. Does anyone have experience of cycling 30 ish mins to get to the gym? Is there anything I should be aware of before attempting this?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
So I'm moving and I have been looking for a new gym. Due to the location i'm looking at a 16-20 min drive, one way, to get to the gym without traffic (7 miles or 9 miles depending on which one i choose). So a 40 min drive per session. 4 Sessions per week minimum.

Am i right in thinking this is a tad excessive or have i just been lucky with my gym locations in the past (last 2 gyms were within 2 miles)?

I am consdering cycling this distance, which would be great for my cardio but I'm concerned on how this will affect my lifts and performance in the gym. Does anyone have experience of cycling 30 ish mins to get to the gym? Is there anything I should be aware of before attempting this?
I think you've been spoilt having gyms that close in the past. I drive approx. 15 minutes to/from my gym now and didn't even think about it being anything other than reasonable until I read your post :cry:

When I was a student my gym was a 30ish minute walk there and back, I couldn't be bothered with that these days though now I've actually got a job and things to do other than laze about and go to the gym :o

Back
Top Bottom