• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Get furmark or perhaps valley benchmark or something that will run in a window, put load on the card in the background with one of those tools and watch the video again at the same time to see if it will crash. You might even be able to just download occt and use it as a load if you don't want to use something graphical. You need to determine if it's the video task that's causing it to crash or if it's the video task coupled with the lower power state the card would normally use to decode.

Have you found anything else that causes it to crash such as standalone video in MPC-HC/MPV/VLC/Your media player of choice?
Watching things on VLC is absolutely fine, never crashes, same with games. It's literally only web video

Will have a look at the things you suggested

Associate
Get furmark or perhaps valley benchmark or something that will run in a window, put load on the card in the background with one of those tools and watch the video again at the same time to see if it will crash. You might even be able to just download occt and use it as a load if you don't want to use something graphical. You need to determine if it's the video task that's causing it to crash or if it's the video task coupled with the lower power state the card would normally use to decode.

Have you found anything else that causes it to crash such as standalone video in MPC-HC/MPV/VLC/Your media player of choice?
OK, more to update. Ran Furmark for a few mins and nothing happened.

Left Furmark running and then opened a web video. Within a few seconds it's crashed again.

So it is specifically the web video.

Associate
OK, more to update. Ran Furmark for a few mins and nothing happened.

Left Furmark running and then opened a web video. Within a few seconds it's crashed again.

So it is specifically the web video.

This is really weird :/. Have you owned the card long and it's just started happening?

And is it just any youtube video, or a specific one, and do other web videos do it like twitch?

What about other browsers? Firefox? Edge?

Edit: Can you go into event viewer and see the details of the BSOD to see if it gives any more details (since you can't read it when the screen goes garbled).

Last edited:
Associate
This is really weird :/. Have you owned the card long and it's just started happening?

And is it just any youtube video, or a specific one, and do other web videos do it like twitch?

What about other browsers? Firefox? Edge?

Edit: Can you go into event viewer and see the details of the BSOD to see if it gives any more details (since you can't read it when the screen goes garbled).
Had it since Dec 21. No issues until the last few weeks, which is why I suspected driver stuff.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000139 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa8045180710, 0xfffffa8045180668, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 3baea624-8e97-4752-b709-1f889ff278f3.

The AMDRyzenMasterDriverV22 service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

Those are the only ones related to AMD drivers I can see (they happen within a second of each other).

Caporegime
Ryzen Master is the CPU tool, nothing to do with the GPU, if that's also broken it may indicate a wider problem with your Windows install.

In search type 'CMD' Right click on Command Prompt and run as Admin, in it type sfc/ scannow and hit return.

Associate
Had it since Dec 21. No issues until the last few weeks, which is why I suspected driver stuff.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000139 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa8045180710, 0xfffffa8045180668, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 3baea624-8e97-4752-b709-1f889ff278f3.

Those are the only ones related to AMD drivers I can see (they happen within a second of each other).

Associate

I'd ignore the ryzen master stuff.

Are you running overclocked, particularly your ram. Is there anything in the eventvwr system category regarding WHEA errors?

Can you download OCCT and run the stability test for memory and CPU. I'm wondering if it's not necessarily GPU related given that it still happens during software decoding.

The microsoft page for that bugcheck is saying it arises from memory corruption, and it can be due to a bad driver (bug) or hardware I suppose.

Last edited:
Associate
General question, I'm sure it wasn't always like this but every time I run a game or program that the in-game overlay would work for, I get a notification in the AMD control panel. This is just noise, I'd like to know if the driver failed and reset my profile, I don't need a notification to tell me I played a game.

It doesn't happen if I disable the overlay completely in the AMD settings. Is the same for everyone using recent driver versions?

Associate
General question, I'm sure it wasn't always like this but every time I run a game or program that the in-game overlay would work for, I get a notification in the AMD control panel. This is just noise, I'd like to know if the driver failed and reset my profile, I don't need a notification to tell me I played a game.

It doesn't happen if I disable the overlay completely in the AMD settings. Is the same for everyone using recent driver versions?
Not seen that before.

Caporegime
Video 1: Helldivers 2 at 100 Gb/s, file size 22GB

Video 2: Helldivers 2 at 40 Gb/s file size 7GB

I can't tell hardly any difference at all from the raw videos, they both look crystal clear and near identically so, with Nvidia Shadowplay (when it occasionally worked) i had to crank the bit rate right up to get crystal clear videos, it seems not with this, i'm even thinking about knocking it down to 30 Mb/s to optimise the file size even more.

After near a decade with Nvidia all this is still new to me, i'm still finding useful buttons in the drivers "Whats this?? OOOooooohhhh...." its quite nice to be new to something again. so far i'm liking the AMD experience.

Anyway, Youtube has done its best to crush the quality but even so can you tell the difference? I can, but only a little.

Back
Top Bottom