**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
kidloco said:
well trying to get everything sorted before i build my new rig.

1 flaming thing. no SATA boot floopy with the mobo , whats all that about. tried looking everywhere for the image to put it onto floppy but no joy. the SATA drivers on the website is an exe but you need a Asrock mobo to install it.

how can i put windows on a SATA hard drive without a SATA boot floopy

you don't need the floppy if you are using the sata 150 ports and not running Raid. works like a ide port then.
it's only when you want to run the hdd(sataII) on the single sataII port you will need this floopy

Associate
kidloco said:
ok mate ill give it a go, so when windows asks to install 3rd party drivers im just to ignore them?

Yes you don't press the F6 just let windows do its job
but as i said only if you not runing Raid or on the sataII port
Will only work on the two sata port.

Associate
with this board, if you boot from the CD it will ask if you want to make a sata driver disk. Follow the instructions from there. btw, I have XP installed on a samsung 80GB sata drive using the driver disk.

Permabanned
In the top of the Bios what do you guys have it at for AGP cards "PCIE Async" or "PCIESync" ...... I have got it on the one which you DONT have to change the PCI-E value.

One more question, I have a 3000+ 64 Venice core, Can I up the multiplier, I wasnt sure if i should go to 10x (At the moment its at 9x) ... What you guys think

Soldato
the sata drivers did the job, tried a repair install first. just so i dont have to spend days gettin gthings just the way i want all over again. was going fine till the install asked for SP2 then i relised I left it round a friends. DOH! iv downloaded it at work and just burned it to cd so hopefully the repair install will work this afternoon. at least its getting a little run it while all this takes place. its been on for around 12 hours so far and no crashes.

Soldato
sjohal2006 said:
In the top of the Bios what do you guys have it at for AGP cards "PCIE Async" or "PCIESync" ...... I have got it on the one which you DONT have to change the PCI-E value.

One more question, I have a 3000+ 64 Venice core, Can I up the multiplier, I wasnt sure if i should go to 10x (At the moment its at 9x) ... What you guys think
async from what i remember, think you can only lower the multiplyer, but thats not too much of a problem as fsb is better for you than a higher mulit :).

Associate
sjohal2006 said:

Use async. I think it may affect the agp speed too. The multiplier is locked, so you can't increase it...

Soldato
well after lots of messing around im getting there slowly.

did a repair install first, seemed to work ok allthough there were a couple of missing files on the install. everything seemed great till i tried to tun media centre. nothing, just a black screen. i could close it down by pressing where the cross normally is so its obviously some display issue. so i thought the repair install must not be good enough, time for a clean install

So i did a full install. did as advised, installed the latest ULI drivers, checked the AGP system drivers were in the system devices menu, then installed the latest nvidia GPU drivers. went to load media centre again and the bloody same thing :mad:

anyone else had this promblem with no display on WMCE, cant just be me surely. havent even tried to overclock anything yet. dont know whtther to keep it if it wont work with WMCE.

any ideas

Associate
i do'nt use WMCE but i have heard of a few blank screen problems caused by old video drivers - also check the refresh rate of the screen. The refresh rate settings of the driver and that of windows should match.

Soldato
any one know how i can check the refresh rate of both mentioned things. it cant be old drivers as its a totally fresh install. done it twice now following the instructions on here to the letter. and still a black screen when you go to switch to media centre

Associate
Doing a fresh install may not mean you are running the latest driver for your video card - you will need to check this on the manufacturers web site.
To check refrech rates - right click on your desktop and select propeties - go to advanced settings then adaptor (again this may vary depending on what graphics card and drivers you are using)

Associate
i'm trying to help and you have not indicated weather your refresh rate is correct - also if you do a search for 6800 there are a number of issues related to this board.
There are also extra options in the latest official bios 1.6 for nvidia, but i dont know how effective they are as i use ati. - good luck anyway

Soldato
sorry mate, not being arsey with you its just this damn mobo is begining to get on my nerves. i have built over 50 systems and never had a issue like this arrive.

The refresh rate is correct mate, im using a 19" samsung TFT.

its weird, graphics demos like the blobby dancer work fine, i thought that may go black as well. reading up on the web a lot of people are having blank screens, like the monitor is off, nut i cant find any that are have black screen, where you can still see the white mouse cursor but the whole visable area is solid black.

Ill check out the bios options next i think. I have updated the bios to the latest one.

this is why i normally stick to Asus or Abit mobos :) serves me right for skimping i guess.

Soldato
Well I upgraded my AGP 6600GT to a PCI-E 6800GT. No complaints from me at all. It's the most stable gaming PC I've ever used. No crashes, no lock ups, no freezes and no BSODs since I've had this motherboard. Must be getting on for a couple of months now.

Edit: Hang on - I remember getting black screens when I tried to update the ULi drivers (this was with the AGP 6600gt). Uninstalling anything to do with the motherboard and graphics card and reinstalling only the drivers I wanted sorted it out for me. Forgot about it because it was fixed in a couple of hours. Good luck getting it sorted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom