The Callisto Protocol

Soldato
You want to know the most hilarious thing about that though? They had guys from Epic helping them bespoke the engine with bits of Unreal 5 under the hood! You would have expected Epic to mention "hey by the way, you probably want to do XYZ to properly polish this off" - Or maybe they did and just didn't care to apply the time budget to do it.
Also read they had help from Sony Malaysia.

Man of Honour
I had a proper play with photo mode earlier, the level of detail is incredible, unlike Cyberpunk where photo mode increases LOD for the character etc, Callisto retains the same detail in and out of photo mode.

Only annoyance is that the camera movement and zooming in photo mode is not as buffered/smooth as normal game mode. They could easily fix this in a patch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Baffles me how they can do stuff like this for a video game launch when it matters the most, as once flagged as negative that’s pretty much the game tarnished forever.

Either they didn’t test enough on PC or they were stupid and flagged wrong release version which again could have been prevented by testing.

Can’t imagine having people so crap at their job unless done on purpose.

Soldato
Baffles me how they can do stuff like this for a video game launch when it matters the most, as once flagged as negative that’s pretty much the game tarnished forever.

Either they didn’t test enough on PC or they were stupid and flagged wrong release version which again could have been prevented by testing.

It's this mentality that's rife in PC gaming, of ship it as a beta, and we'll patch it later after it has been play tested by the marks (us).

Even happens with consoles, though not as much.

It's why I never pre-order, and will usually wait months for a game I want, to be patched.

Also will end up being cheaper to buy.

Soldato

They wanted to hit the holiday period for release and it seems obvious PS5 was the priority platform as PC and Xbox had series issues at launch.

Associate
Title menu is still a mess, Have to give it a minute to actually let me do anything. While in game I haven't noticed much stuttering, I am now getting a solid 60fps at 1440 on high presets, no rays or FSR enabled. which is nice thou.

I wonder in the next update the weird textures flickering gets fixed.

Man of Honour
With RT off it's over 100fps which is perfectly fine, although RT having now compared side by side makes a small difference visually only, and then only in reflections too really. If the game had no RT, it would still look just as impressive, but because it has, you'd want to make use of it. Obviously optimisations need to be made in order to make use of the tech properly, because at the moment it's still not optimised.

Permabanned
I put all effort in to like this game as I received it for free with my 6900 XT but in the end this is how it goes.

"I originally left a positive review until I got further into the game, had enough of the BS combat and cheap non intuitive gameplay.

I played until the "Lost" chapter where I threw in the towel.

In the previous section to "LOST" there was a robot I killed, I pounded it with my foot and it dropped the item worth 500 credits, I could not pick it up, no prompt, it just lay there shimmering as a pick up that could never be picked up.

General movement bugs, your character will float sometimes when moving, the sprint button stops working when it wants to also.

I rated it a 5 out of 10 previously and gave it a positive, it is now a 1 out of 10.

I can't rationalise it anymore.

It's so bad I am removing it from my library."

I removed the game from my Steam account and bought a bunch of new cheap games in it's absence.

Valheim: Ended up being boring, put in for a refund.
Daedelic Adventure Bundle (A bunch of point and click puzzle / adventure games, I loved the Broken Sword games)

Last edited:
Permabanned
He only did that after A LOT of pressure from his viewers. If you watch his original opinion of Elden Ring, he gives it a 0/10 and gives up on it before he even leaves the "tutorial" area. This is his original verdict, where he refunds the game after 38mins because the game is an "absolute joke on PC". There is so much wrong with what he says during this and his entire attitude while playing the game that it really highlights just how poor a reviewer he is.

Always love fans of games, they delude themselves.
"This game review is more objective" No it is still fully subjective, no such thing as an objective review of anything as it comes under tolerance, taste, values, all subjective.
Mack in that review mentioned how policed the Steam forums are and he is correct, damage controlling is horrendous in Steamforums, hopefully we get someone like Elon Musk to raid every corner of the internet to get rid of these clowns who only want an echo chamber wherever they go, the fragile sensitive babies that don't understand what an opinion is and get their feelings hurt when an imaginary fairy tale they enjoy is not enjoyed by someone else.

No such thing as invalid or valid criticism either, it's just dolts pretending to be more intelligent than they really are and are glazing their hidden biases to silence everyone else.

Money, it corrupts.

Also moderation of the community is done very wrong.

Example: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1449280/discussions/0/4677521348363197955/

This discussion mostly has people coming in to attack the OP, almost nobody thinks that maybe this person is young and only saw the 2016 movie, heck peraps it is simply, they prefer it.

No one seems to talk about mods.

Moderators here should be moderating the non constructive replies but what usually happens is, people get dogpiled by a load of losers sticking their little weiners in each others behinds so much they lose their cool and have a go, then the losers report them and the OP get's banned, usually the retort is the OP is a troll.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
The trouble is that some of what Mack said in that video was simply factually untrue (about the game itself not steamforums which are indeed a cesspit) and some of his criticisms were simply down to him not being bothered to even look in the games options. Subjective or objective that is NOT the way to do a review, giving up after 38 minutes and not even leaving the tutorial is also not the way to do a review. One could say that the fact that he went back and re-did it , giving the game a high score might also suggest that he himself knew that it was a very shoddy way to cover the game too.

I should also add that something CAN be "more objective" without being objective. More objective =/= objective, hence the word "more". In his original Elden Ring video Mack set out to dislike Elden Ring, he went into it intentionally to dislike it (ironically just as he did with Dark Souls and just as he has done with a few other titles). No reviewer of anything, be it game, music, movie, novel, vehicle or any other product, should ever go into it with the intention to like or dislike it.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is definitely a one playthrough, uninstall and forget it ever existed.
Why does he take so long to reload which is currently holding me up on the mining sled thing?

Man of Honour
I revise my thoughts and will say that RT in this game is largely pointless. there are no RT effects I can spot that displays a visual enhancement that makes the 60fps hit worth it. The differences are so small that you'd otherwise miss then just looking and walking admiring the non RT graphics as they are anyway.

Evidence:

All RT off, Ultra settings, no upscaling off:
All-RT-Off_TheCallistoProtocol-Win64-Shipping_2022_12_12_03_07_04_985.jpg

All RT on, Ultra settings, no upscaling off:
All-RT-On_TheCallistoProtocol-Win64-Shipping_2022_12_12_03_11_54_697.jpg

Spot the difference?:p

It is entirely possible that when they patch the CPU limitation issue that the fps difference between RT on and off will become much smaller. But until then IMO it's not a worthwhile feature. With FSR enabled the fps does go up, but not by much. FSR also introduces some quirks with light sources in the distance where they look jaggy slightly until you get closer, even on FSR Quality. This is FSR 2.0 though so might be just one tradeoff which 2.1 fixes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't have the game but there are subtle difference where RT is better, but not a 60 FPS better.

Having said that, this only proves that while RT is a good thing, a lot of games such as CP 2077, simply turn off all normal reflections and shadow effects in order to make RT look good.

Man of Honour
That is the gist I was getting at, if it was a 20-30fps hit then sure, it's a raw rastered rendering of a realtime effect -But 60fps means there is no optimisation at all in! Even Cyberpunk's got a lower hit when all those Rt functions are on and set to Psycho where available lol.

Permabanned
He only did that after A LOT of pressure from his viewers. If you watch his original opinion of Elden Ring, he gives it a 0/10 and gives up on it before he even leaves the "tutorial" area. This is his original verdict, where he refunds the game after 38mins because the game is an "absolute joke on PC". There is so much wrong with what he says during this and his entire attitude while playing the game that it really highlights just how poor a reviewer he is.

Anyone that takes Mack the meme seriously needs to have a think. Surely you know by now this is his "thing"?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom