The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

fez

fez

Caporegime
Our season basically revolves around their fitness. Without them we're completely dependent on counters. Shaw in particular transforms the team.

I think both do. Martinez allows us to play a higher line and the whole defence is far more aggressive. He can also pick a pass and isn't ponderous on the ball like Maguire and co.

At full strength I would say we had a good chance of potentially even top 4 but thats never going to happen so...fingers crossed for top 5.

Caporegime
I wouldn't be so sure. Champions League is considered critically important, Ratcliffe himself said so in his interviews after the takeover.

INEOS won't be looking at it from an emotional angle, they'll evaluate whether he plays the sort of football they want, etc.

That Liverpool game has got to be a springboard for him now, Spurs look wobbly so we need to at least finish 5th (we should get the extra CL spot), or the season will still be considered a big failure.
Ratcliffe spoke at an event the other day where when asked about who he wants to win the title, he said it would be good for Arteta as he’s done really well and Arsenal have been very patient with him, which is very nice and is to be admired.

Could be a little pointer to how he’s thinking with ETH.

Soldato
Ratcliffe spoke at an event the other day where when asked about who he wants to win the title, he said it would be good for Arteta as he’s done really well and Arsenal have been very patient with him, which is very nice and is to be admired.

Could be a little pointer to how he’s thinking with ETH.
You didnt expect him to say Liverpool or Man City surely?

Caporegime
You didnt expect him to say Liverpool or Man City surely?
That has nothing to do with it, I’m just quoting what he said. He didn’t actually say he wanted Arsenal to win, but he said that about Arteta winning it.

Everyone’s going on about ETH’s future, I just posted it as a pointer to how Ratcliffe seems to value patience

Don
Ratcliffe purchased Nice in August 2019, in less than 5 years he's onto his 6th manager. He seems the patient type :p

I'd be amazed if ETH isn't gone in the summer. Ratcliffe, Brailsford etc will want to bring their own man in and as funny as it is, it really wouldn't be a shock if it was Southgate.

Don
If it makes you feel better I think it's far from a certainty too, primarily because Utd will know it won't go down well with supporters but at the same time it wouldn't shock me if it happens. In all walks of life people appoint people they know, like and trust and reportedly there's a very close connection between Southgate and both Ashworth and Brailsford.

We've just seen it with Liverpool appointing Richard Hughes as Sporting Director - he had a very close working relationship with Michael Edwards (who's just returned to the club/FSG in a senior role), who in turn was appointed by Comolli following their previous relationship at Spurs. It's no different than Ratcliffe bringing Brailsford along and him wanting to bring in Ashworth.

As I said, I think it's very likely that ETH will be gone sooner rather than later - he's generally done a pretty poor job and Ashworth, Brailsford and co will have their own plans and ideas, and will likely want their own man to implement them.

Man of Honour
OP
Can we have a threadban on the word Southgate?

As I said, I think it's very likely that ETH will be gone sooner rather than later - he's generally done a pretty poor job and Ashworth, Brailsford and co will have their own plans and ideas, and will likely want their own man to implement them.

Exactly. I think INEOS would only consider keeping him if he was performing very well, and realistically it's been a struggle, whatever the statistics may say, this season has been dire at times.

Soldato
Watched/listened to Sir Jim during some interviews the other day, he talked about the Stadium and how it would cost 1bn to renovate but same price/effort to build a new state of the art with entertainment complex/eateries/hotels/museums etc and mentioned about 90-100k capacity... I know Utd are well supported, but I don't know what the waiting list is for games or how many we could fit into a stadium. is 100k realistic? could we fill that every week?

Caporegime
Watched/listened to Sir Jim during some interviews the other day, he talked about the Stadium and how it would cost 1bn to renovate but same price/effort to build a new state of the art with entertainment complex/eateries/hotels/museums etc and mentioned about 90-100k capacity... I know Utd are well supported, but I don't know what the waiting list is for games or how many we could fit into a stadium. is 100k realistic? could we fill that every week?

Easily. City would still get more revenue come end of the season though.

Last edited:
Soldato

Easily, can’t remember what the name is of the article but on the Athletic they said that Spurs have a waiting list of >20k for seats and are trying to get rid of older season ticket holders because they don’t spend enough.

If they have that much - maybe it’s purely tourist in London making up a vast proportion of that. Utd easily sell out 90k stadia.

Building a new modern purpose built for c. £2bn - would be the way to go. Get the whole thing done in a oner!

Old Trafford should be the pinnacle of grounds in the UK and probably the Europe along with Madrid and Barca. Need to new build to match WHL.

Don
You shouldn't conflate season ticket waiting lists with potential increased capacity. Most people on Spurs season ticket waiting list, who would actually take a season ticket if they had the chance, are already attending Spurs games on a regular basis. Clubs restrict numbers of season tickets because they make more money from selling tickets game by game.

I've no idea how easy it is to get a regular ticket at OT but suggesting selling an extra 26000 tickets would be easy is a bit optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom