The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

FTM

FTM

Soldato
just a couple this time after a wee trip to scotland as I going back in 3 weeks so will get some more

53216644912_9861b83c3a_b.jpg

Associate
Glenallachie have released a peated range of whisky called Meikle Tòir. They're all 5YO and decent percentage. I've gone for a bottle of The Chinquapin one, looks interesting.

Soldato
Is Lagavulin 16 worth it at £65?

I enjoyed the 8 but never spend more than £40-45 on a whisky.
I'm not sure you'll find it cheaper anymore, so if you know you like the style, then yes.

If unsure perhaps try it as it's usually one of the standard ones in an Islay tasting pack. Heck even some general Scotch sample packs include it as the example of an Islay.

Last edited:
Associate
Is Lagavulin 16 worth it at £65?

I enjoyed the 8 but never spend more than £40-45 on a whisky

Agree with dlockers, it's better than the 8. I picked up on a vegetal note that I found a bit funky.
Personal preference, but I'd be spending £65 elsewhere in Islay. PC is £10 less and is my favourite reasonably priced Islay. You're also only £5 from the Laphroaig 10 CS......

Last edited:
Soldato
So, in the last year or so ive started ti really like whiskeys and bourbon. Think its my age haha

Ive not tried that many. The wife bought me a bottle of laphroaig and that was like drinking TCP. In my local they have monkey sholder, which i like because of its sweet teast. But i usually buy JD or jim beam, depending which is on deal.

Any recommendations for something else with similar teast to the monkey or jim beam? Thanks

Soldato
Any recommendations for something else with similar teast to the monkey or jim beam? Thanks
Most people won’t come and recommend similar to those. It’s a bit like saying “I want to get into craft beer, what tastes like Stella?” I don’t mean that in a mean way. What you’re enjoying is a fairly basic bourbon which has a sweetness to it. If you like that, feel free to go down the route of bourbons and rye.

It’s not unusual for a first timer to think something peated like laphroag tastes like tcp. I’d steer clear of peat for now and look at the Speyside region https://www.masterofmalt.com/region-style/speyside/single-malt-whisky/ Distillers like Macallan, Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Aberlour. At this stage there would be little point spending over £40 odd so pick a standard age statement whiskey (I.e a 10yo or 12yo, not any sort of special edition). You could also look at some Highland distillers, also very accessible.. like Dalwhinnie or Old Pulteney. The Old Pulteney 12 is great for under £30.

Search this thread, there’s been a lot of similar questions for those new to whiskey.

Soldato
Most people won’t come and recommend similar to those. It’s a bit like saying “I want to get into craft beer, what tastes like Stella?” I don’t mean that in a mean way. What you’re enjoying is a fairly basic bourbon which has a sweetness to it. If you like that, feel free to go down the route of bourbons and rye.

It’s not unusual for a first timer to think something peated like laphroag tastes like tcp. I’d steer clear of peat for now and look at the Speyside region https://www.masterofmalt.com/region-style/speyside/single-malt-whisky/ Distillers like Macallan, Balvenie, Glenfarclas, Aberlour. At this stage there would be little point spending over £40 odd so pick a standard age statement whiskey (I.e a 10yo or 12yo, not any sort of special edition). You could also look at some Highland distillers, also very accessible.. like Dalwhinnie or Old Pulteney. The Old Pulteney 12 is great for under £30.

Search this thread, there’s been a lot of similar questions for those new to whiskey.
So, in the last year or so ive started ti really like whiskeys and bourbon. Think its my age haha

Ive not tried that many. The wife bought me a bottle of laphroaig and that was like drinking TCP. In my local they have monkey sholder, which i like because of its sweet teast. But i usually buy JD or jim beam, depending which is on deal.

I agree with Scam's comments but I would suggest trying to go to a whisky bar and try random things. I did this while in Glasgow and called into the Pot Still and tried 4-5 whiskies I'd read reviews and tasting notes. The takeaway for me was that one was awful three were okay and one was lovely. Doing this saved me from having to buy a full bottle and not like it, or receive it as a present and pretend to like it to avoid offending.

If you are interested in smoky/peaty whisky I'd try Johnnie Walker 12 (Black label). I found this the gateway smoky whiskey for me and went down the rabbit hole of Islay whisky.

Soldato
I’d also really recommend taster sets, like from Pour and Sip. It’s easy to compare notes etc when trying a whiskey in isolation. But having just 3 drams in front of you to compare directly is on a different level.

Soldato
I agree with Scam's comments but I would suggest trying to go to a whisky bar and try random things. I did this while in Glasgow and called into the Pot Still and tried 4-5 whiskies I'd read reviews and tasting notes. The takeaway for me was that one was awful three were okay and one was lovely. Doing this saved me from having to buy a full bottle and not like it, or receive it as a present and pretend to like it to avoid offending.

If you are interested in smoky/peaty whisky I'd try Johnnie Walker 12 (Black label). I found this the gateway smoky whiskey for me and went down the rabbit hole of Islay whisky.

yeah thats a great idea. i would probably waste a lot of money just getting random bottles. just been to asds (been rained off) and got myself a bottle of monkey shoulder. so thats my poison for this weekend

Associate
yeah thats a great idea. i would probably waste a lot of money just getting random bottles. just been to asds (been rained off) and got myself a bottle of monkey shoulder. so thats my poison for this weekend

Where about do you live? Most cities now have a Whisky bar or two. I visit a place called Grain and Glass in Birmingham whenever I get the chance and sample a few things they recommend for my palate. It's a really great way to discover what should be your next buy. Discovered some amazing drams over the years thanks to them. Even better, you often get to sample drams from bottles completely above what most of us would be able to afford/willing to spend the money on. I've tried a lot of the Octomore releases over the years at a reasonable price thanks to Whisky bars.

Apologies, just read further up the thread and saw @Blackvault comment basically saying the same thing :rolleyes:

What I will say is that if you're looking for a decent starter Whiskey that will ease you away from the slightly sweeter bourbons then you can't go wrong with some of the more popular Speyside distilleries, particularly Aberlour. The 12 is excellent and can be brought in most supermarkets now. The king of great starter Whisky's in my opinion has to be 'The Classic Laddie' from Bruichladdich. This again can now be brought in most supermarkets, often for under £40. It's got a lighter, subtly fruitier profile that appeals to a lot of newbies who are more familiar with Bourbons. IMO if you don't get on with that, you won't get on with Whisky, period.

Glenallachie have released a peated range of whisky called Meikle Tòir. They're all 5YO and decent percentage. I've gone for a bottle of The Chinquapin one, looks interesting.

Funny, I was actually at the distillery in January and asked the rep if they had any plans for a peated variant. Got a very hush hush response. Glad to see it's come to fruition! Such a great distillery and despite all the hollering from Islay purists, Speyside companies putting out peated variants is all grand in my book.

Last edited:
Associate
Funny, I was actually at the distillery in January and asked the rep if they had any plans for a peated variant. Got a very hush hush response. Glad to see it's come to fruition! Such a great distillery and despite all the hollering from Islay purists, Speyside companies putting out peated variants is all grand in my book.
Agreed. I love a smokey Speyside, Benromach is one of my favourites

Soldato
I’m thinking about trying some new whiskies. I’m a big fan of Uigeadail and generally lean towards smoky profiles. Any recommendations up to £100?
From what I recall, Uige is meant to be sherried but I didn't really get any hint of that when I tried it at the distillery. Does it have such a profile to you, in addition to the smoke?

Soldato
From what I recall, Uige is meant to be sherried but I didn't really get any hint of that when I tried it at the distillery. Does it have such a profile to you, in addition to the smoke?
It’s subtle and it comes as the initial flavours sink away. I can also smell it just as I take a sip. I think it adds a general sweetness as well.

Back
Top Bottom