The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
It’s been a while since I had Lagavulin but it’s one of my favourites.
I've had it before and put off buying it because I thought it was a bit "touristy". But it is fantastic. Would like to compare to the Ardbeg Ugge but alas that bottle has been empty for a while :(

Port Charlotte is an amazing whiskey, another one I put off buying for a while because I just thought "meh, peat" but it's much more than that. Arran 10 is great also.

Soldato
Yes indeed @broona I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the Laphroaig - I've been put off by the reviews of that bottle, but need to try it for myself sometime. I like Laphroaig, and I like sherried whisky whether oloroso or PX, and when combined, the peat and sherry often make for a delight.

I asked a question on a Facebook whisky group, and a few said that the sherry was one of their favourite Laphroaig expressions, so fingers crossed I'll like it.

Associate
The first time I tried it was when visiting Laphroaig to pick up my “rent” in 2021. It was 10am in the morning on a cold winters day and there was only one bottle left in the shop, so felt obliged.
Whilst it’s not overly complex, that Laphroaig signature shines through an oloroso haze and complement each other very well. I’d have another.

Last edited:
Associate
Got the Redbreast 15 and Nikka Coffey grain for Chrimbo. The Nikka is an old friend but haven't tried the RB 15 before (though am a big fan of the 12). Whilst it's not leagues ahead of the 12, it's still a stunning dram. Got to try and make it last throughout the year... might not even see the end of Jan at this rate :o

Soldato
For Christmas, I received:

Dingle Distillery Irish Single Malt (Blue Label) 46.3% ABV​

Machrie Moor Single Malt Peated Edition 46% ABV​

Scallywag Small Batch 46% ABV​

I've not tried any of them yet as I have a few bottles on the go, but I can't wait to try them.

Soldato
Was given a bottle of The Sexton Irish Whiskey for Christmas, not normally a fan of Irish but it's a sherry cask and that gave it a good dark fruit flavour to go with the sweet toffee notes. Really enjoying it. I believe it is made at Bushmills distillery and potentially a rebranded overstock of one of their other sherry cask bottlings. I'm not good at describing the flavour profile of whiskey but I recommend it and it is decent neat.

Soldato
Was given a bottle of The Sexton Irish Whiskey for Christmas, not normally a fan of Irish but it's a sherry cask and that gave it a good dark fruit flavour to go with the sweet toffee notes. Really enjoying it. I believe it is made at Bushmills distillery and potentially a rebranded overstock of one of their other sherry cask bottlings. I'm not good at describing the flavour profile of whiskey but I recommend it and it is decent neat.
Can't say I've had it but I do like the bottle.

Soldato
Following on from @neodude showing off his collection in the Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW thread. I thought I'd share a photo of my collection and how I display them. Now lets see yours!

R85Suoe.jpg

RPOSg40.jpg

kOxyFcI.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Following on from @neodude showing off his collection in the Pic: Your desk...RIGHT NOW thread. I thought I'd share a photo of my collection and how I display them. Now lets see yours!

R85Suoe.jpg

RPOSg40.jpg

kOxyFcI.jpg
The baller move would be to have the Glendronach, Caol Ila and Waterford on the optics :cool:

But in all seriousness, why the optics? Seems a shame to have that good stuff just sitting in plastic awaiting a shot? Liking everything else other than that bit!

Soldato
The baller move would be to have the Glendronach, Caol Ila and Waterford on the optics :cool:

But in all seriousness, why the optics? Seems a shame to have that good stuff just sitting in plastic awaiting a shot? Liking everything else other than that bit!
The optics where a present from my mum and sister for my birthday. Ah but you see in NI we serve 35ml shots, so the 25ml are for the visitors ;) having said that non of my friends drink whisky. I'll change them over next time I'm cleaning the optics.

Soldato
The optics where a present from my mum and sister for my birthday. Ah but you see in NI we serve 35ml shots, so the 25ml are for the visitors ;) having said that non of my friends drink whisky. I'll change them over next time I'm cleaning the optics.
Very good! Certain pubs here serve 35ml shots too (any pubs tied to the Young's brewery for example) but the standard is indeed 25.

I do miss the days of pub optics; so many have switched to spout pourers and shot jiggers, but the look of a wall of optics will forever be my idea of a proper pub.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom