The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
It’s subtle and it comes as the initial flavours sink away. I can also smell it just as I take a sip. I think it adds a general sweetness as well.
Gotcha - have you tried Laphroaig Lore? I'm on a dram after reading your earlier post, and think it may be somewhat similar in the more subtle sherried notes and sweetness (I prefer the in- your-face sherry of e.g. Lagavulin Distillers' Edition). The Lore is oilier, thicker in feel than I recall Uige, but that's based on the tasting from a few years ago now where it was in the company of the 10, Corry, Alligator and one other so it's not necessarily an accurate memory!

With Lore you could also squeeze in a Laphroaig Quarter Cask when it's on offer. I actually rate it higher than the Lore, despite the double/triple price difference. It's a really fiery yet rather sweet vanilla one, but not at all sherried.

Last edited:
Soldato
Gotcha - have you tried Laphroaig Lore? I'm on a dram after reading your earlier post, and think it may be somewhat similar in the more subtle sherried notes and sweetness (I prefer the in- your-face sherry of e.g. Lagavulin Distillers' Edition). The Lore is oilier, thicker in feel than I recall Uige, but that's based on the tasting from a few years ago now where it was in the company of the 10, Corry, Alligator and one other so it's not necessarily an accurate memory!

With Lore you could also squeeze in a Laphroaig Quarter Cask when it's on offer. I actually rate it higher than the Lore, despite the double/triple price difference. It's a really fiery yet rather sweet vanilla one, but not at all sherried.
That’s a good shout. I’ve enjoyed Laphroaig in the past and have also tried the QC. I’ve not had Lore so will add that to my list. A Lagavulin Distillers edition could also be a good one to look for. I’ve gone for something a little different but still along the lines of smoke. During the Feis Ile there was a special edition Big Peat. It’s finished in red wine casks. I’ll pick it up next week.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
just topping up the cupboard with with good reliable drinkers , thanks to a rather good master of malt off one of these bottles was entirely free

53312516582_08dd3769c4_b.jpg

Soldato
Master of Malt offering 20% off all spirits:

I've just come here to quiz everyone about that code! :D

Merry Christmas everyone, I'm after a little advice please.

Already got a Laphroaig 10 Sherry Oak in my basket, and either looking for something peaty and similar, or exactly the opposite for around £50-£70, any recommendations please? Cheers.

Soldato

Already got a Laphroaig 10 Sherry Oak in my basket, and either looking for something peaty and similar, or exactly the opposite for around £50-£70, any recommendations please? Cheers.
With the 20% off you may find the Lagavulin Distillers' Edition within reach... that'll be in the similar vein. For completely different I'd go Arran 10 which is well below budget and punches well above its weight. Or for sweet, reliable moreishness Balvenie 14 Caribbean which will be within budget with discount.

Last edited:
Soldato

There was also a £5 off £50 code available which stacked with it. Had something I want in the basket,and decided to have a ponder about it. Then the code didn't work and it also sold out! :(

Soldato

As well as getting my usual Uigeadail I have also added Machrie Moor 10.

Soldato
That’s a seriously good deal. I had to be restrained just getting a couple of bottles.
They don’t normally do that post-Christmas do they? I stocked up before as I had some vouchers from work (well, a prepaid card). As it happens I bought a gift voucher from MoM first (as you can’t part-pay with two credit cards) and they sent me a £5 voucher for my “purchase” so in the end with cashback as well I saved about £30 on a £120ish order. Lagavulin 16 (never owned a bottle), and Craigellachie 13.

Haven’t opened the latter yet but the Lag goes wonderfully well with a mince pie and blue cheese :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
They don’t normally do that post-Christmas do they? I stocked up before as I had some vouchers from work (well, a prepaid card). As it happens I bought a gift voucher from MoM first (as you can’t part-pay with two credit cards) and they sent me a £5 voucher for my “purchase” so in the end with cashback as well I saved about £30 on a £120ish order. Lagavulin 16 (never owned a bottle), and Craigellachie 13.

Haven’t opened the latter yet but the Lag goes wonderfully well with a mince pie and blue cheese :cool:
I’ve not seen it before. A few of the bottles I looked at MoM weren’t the cheapest so that impacts the 20% but most were very competitively priced already.

I’ll likely open the Machrie Moor straight away and drink that along side the Big Peat Feis Ile 2023. The Uigeadail I’ll save for later in the year. Arran 10 and Port Charlotte (of some kind) are on my to try list but those are reasonably priced throughout the year and I don’t think I will get through my current stash until late this year.

It’s been a while since I had Lagavulin but it’s one of my favourites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom