The OCZ Vertex 3 Thread

Soldato
Thanks for that. :)
now then, if i may (as it's still related to the thread), my pc (see sig) rebooted itself after a power failure in the building, it reported it could not find any bootable media. I swapped the Vertex3 to the other sata3 port and it booted up fine.
Came in this morning to the same dos screen with the same messgae. So i swapped the Vertex back to the other sdata3 port and it booted fine. Dunno what caused this reboot as it must have happened last night after i'd left work.

I'm on firmware 2.06, is this a sympton of firmware trouble?

Soldato
Well, goddammit!!!! :mad:
Just bought PATv3.0 and it hasn't aligned my drive.
I've tried twice and after reboot it shows the PAT windows and says 'drive not aligned'.

Sent a service request to Paragon, but anyone got any ideas? Can't seem to find any log for PAT, which is really dumb if there isn't one.

Soldato
Hmmm....it may well have to do with the issue i described in post 361
Just come back into the office and its rebooted itself again and can't find any media to boot from. Never crashes when i'm in front of the friggin thing. :mad:
I've now connected it to a sata2 port. Wonder if its the legendary crappy marvell controllers on the sata3 ports.

Associate
i had that problem with the X58 marvell only got BSD when i was away from the pc.

u could try firmware 2.09 as iv been 100% stable for 2 days now (my pc is always on)

Associate
I've had nothing but problems with my Vertex 3 120GB since day one. I moved from an Intel X-25M 160GB to this and i get a LOT of windows explorer hangs / crashes when browsing network drives

One would suspect that the onboard NIC was to blame, but i never got this problem on my older SSD

I'm on the 2.09 firmware and did a full windows reinstall, still getting the same problem. Crystal bench only gives me 170MB write speed too, not sure if this is correct but doesn't seem as fast as i was expecting

Connected to the Intel SATA6 port on my board, using AHCI and a good SATA6 cable
Pretty frustrating...

Soldato
yeah, i'm starting to wonder myself.
Weirdly though i have an indentical setup at home.
i replaced the intel X-25M 80gb in both rigs with the Vertex3 120Gb. used Acronis to clone the disks (and resize the partitions).
The rig at home has been spot on, speeds are lower due to the crappy marvel controller on the x58 chipset, but the disk is aligned and running fine.
This bugger at work isn't aligned :confused: (yet used the same process as at home). It WON'T align (see a few posts back) and keeps rebooting itself.

About to go out and buy P8P67 and i7-2600K. :cool:

edit: EEEK! just noticed that's the same mobo and cpu you have.

Soldato
Well.....wounded!
I went out and bought a P8P67 Pro, i7-2600K and 16gb ram.
Aside from the random issue of the pc going to sleep and nothing short of a "hold the power button in for 4 secs to turn it off, then turn it back on again" routine seems to wake it up..... I came in this morning to the EXACT same issue i was having with the P6X58D Premium and i7-930, where it couldn't find bootable media.
Common denominator? this crapy Vertex 3 drive. I upgraded the firmware from 2.06 to 2.08, but it wouldn't let me upgrade to 2.09 for some reason.

I'm getting the same issue at home too with the same drive and the same P6X58D/i7-930 setup.

OCZ needs a bloody good kick in the nuts for hurrying out a dodgy release just to boast that they have the fastest SSD on the market.

Last edited:
Soldato
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 3.0.1 (C) 2007-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 byte/s [SATA/300 = 300,000,000 byte/s]

Sequential Read : 499.243 MB/s
Sequential Write : 134.588 MB/s
Random Read 512KB : 443.823 MB/s
Random Write 512KB : 133.809 MB/s
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 30.917 MB/s [ 7548.2 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 80.542 MB/s [ 19663.6 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 110.267 MB/s [ 26920.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 132.762 MB/s [ 32412.7 IOPS]

Test : 1000 MB [C: 25.7% (28.7/111.6 GB)] (x5)
Date : 2011/07/07 20:45:38

Write speeds seem a bit bleh?! I'm on a P8P67, connected to the intel SATA3 ports.

EDIT: ATTO..
atto.png

Seems a bit crap compared to some people on here?

EDIT AGAIN: I'm on firmware 2.02 at the moment, what's the process to update if windows is running on the drive i want to update?

Last edited:
Soldato
Just updated my drive to 2.08 for the sake of testing, did a fresh format on it and it's stil the same story, 500mb read but only 135mb write on crystal disk mark, i don't understand why everyone else is getting AT LEAST 200mb and i can't get anywhere near on that bench mark o_O

Associate
Vertex 3 is only rated at 155mbs with uncompressible data.

OCZ recommend against updating the firmware at the mo if your drive is not bsod.

Soldato
Are random unexplainable pauses a problem for anyone else?

One minute i can be doing something, the next the whole system is unusable, i can click on things and nothing happens, 30 seconds later everything happens at once. Not too impressed with this drive right now........

EDIT: just reinstalled windows on to my Intel X25-M and everythings generally feels smoother, can't help but think the vertex has a problem, i can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't 'feel' right

Last edited:
Soldato
Are random unexplainable pauses a problem for anyone else?

One minute i can be doing something, the next the whole system is unusable, i can click on things and nothing happens, 30 seconds later everything happens at once. Not too impressed with this drive right now........

EDIT: just reinstalled windows on to my Intel X25-M and everythings generally feels smoother, can't help but think the vertex has a problem, i can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't 'feel' right

Have you enabled hotswap on the SSD port in the BIOS? My system used to lock up all the time till I did that now its fine!

Soldato
Have you enabled hotswap on the SSD port in the BIOS? My system used to lock up all the time till I did that now its fine!

Interesting, i haven't, why would it need hot swap though, seems like an odd requirement

EDIT: I'm running my X25-M 80GB as my windows drive, vertex 3 as steam drive and a 640gb hdd for storage, seeing as i had abotu 150gb of steam games downloaded i've decided to just store install folders in the hdd until i want to play them and then move them on to the SSD, seems to be working well now. I've already reinstalled windows 4 times, i'm tempted to try the hot swap setting but i really can't be bothered reinstalling windows again :p (i should really sort myself out an image or something)

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think changing the hotswap setting necessitates a reinstall.

Even if it does, if you're using Intel RST drivers, then look up the LPM disable registry fix instead.

Soldato
I don't think changing the hotswap setting necessitates a reinstall.

Even if it does, if you're using Intel RST drivers, then look up the LPM disable registry fix instead.

Well the problem is i've now installed windows on the x25-m again so the vertex has no windows on it anymore, hence the need to reinstll :p

Soldato
Interesting, i haven't, why would it need hot swap though, seems like an odd requirement

EDIT: I'm running my X25-M 80GB as my windows drive, vertex 3 as steam drive and a 640gb hdd for storage, seeing as i had abotu 150gb of steam games downloaded i've decided to just store install folders in the hdd until i want to play them and then move them on to the SSD, seems to be working well now. I've already reinstalled windows 4 times, i'm tempted to try the hot swap setting but i really can't be bothered reinstalling windows again :p (i should really sort myself out an image or something)

As topdog said, its due to the Intel LPM not working properly. See here.

Back
Top Bottom