** The Official ASUS P5N-E SLI & Ultra 650i Thread **

Soldato
OK - Thanks to OC_A64 and Dravic we now have;

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=154975

Also my first ever sub-14 second Super-Pi with this chip :D

Which has been stable in Orthos for about an hour now, so I'm quietly confident. I now have an Akasa 40mm chipset cooler stuck to the top of the Northbridge heatsink (I can touch it now :rolleyes: ) and I'm pretty chuffed for a £70 motherboard. It's now clocking better (for me) than my DS4 did.

Soldato
SidewinderINC said:
why is your ram running so slowly?

Is it running slowly? It's cheapo Patriot PC5300 (333/667MHz) so by running it at 375/750MHz it's got a small overclock on it. By controlling the timings like that I get the best SuperPi performance. I could lash out £215 in some Crucial Anniversary but I'd rather spend it on better chipset cooling to be honest. There is so much potential in this board :D

Associate
WJA96 said:
OK - Thanks to OC_A64 and Dravic we now have;

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=154975

Also my first ever sub-14 second Super-Pi with this chip :D

Which has been stable in Orthos for about an hour now, so I'm quietly confident. I now have an Akasa 40mm chipset cooler stuck to the top of the Northbridge heatsink (I can touch it now :rolleyes: ) and I'm pretty chuffed for a £70 motherboard. It's now clocking better (for me) than my DS4 did.

Nice :D *Should* have mine tomorrow, will test with 6300 (6600 later) and crucial anniversary. Looking forward to seeing the results based on what you've shown so far :D

Soldato
SidewinderINC said:
oh, i thought you had the crucial stuff :p my bad

No, you were right I do. I only had it in there yesterday when someone asked what the max FSB was, so I used the CA. It's gone back into one of my other machines - the DS4's need the best clocking RAM there is, which is the Crucial Anniversary. As I'm certain you know, the 650i can run quite happily with poorer RAM because of the asynchronous speeds.

SidewinderINC said:
you reckon with better chipset cooling it'll be a winning board? better than the P5B-Deluxe?

I haven't had a P5B-Deluxe, but it's better than a DS4.

Associate
Well I Have just ordered this board from a competitor, any of you guys recommend a heatsink for the southbridge and fan for the northbrige? Also can you use a Zalman CNPS9700 with this board :confused: Was originally going for the 680i, but way over priced for a beta board. This looks like a real bargin if the price stays low :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Subliminal Aura said:
Sorry to hear that mate ...

No divider locks at your frequency ?

Anyway I'd be happy to get to 3.6 and leave it there : If I get greedy I'll pay the consequences. :eek:

There are no divider locks at all in the unlinked mode. :D As for being greedy I ate the whole all you can eat buffet and then some more!

Caporegime
@ WJA96

when you have finished playing with the mobo can you post it to me(usual address) so I can test it with my quad core please :D

Thanks

will check my inbox in the next few days for confirmation :p

Associate
To cap it all im nearly building from scratch

after days and days of searching and reading endless reviews of mobo's ive decided to go for this one as seems superb
all i need to know what memory to go for chip power supply and most silent fans
money is a bit tight and dont really need to overclock atm
also any memory voltage problems with this and if u can paste the links from o/c hopefully buy later

Ps im an old dog learning new tricks :)

Soldato
easyrider said:
@ WJA96

when you have finished playing with the mobo can you post it to me(usual address) so I can test it with my quad core please :D

Thanks

will check my inbox in the next few days for confirmation :p

Of course. I genuinely think 4GHz is feasible (week 28B CPU) with active water cooling on the CPU and Northbridge.

The Vdroop is horrific though so the difference between idle and 100% utilization temperatures is quite small - It's idling at 48C and maxing out at 62C and even with an 80mm cable-tied to the Northbridge the heatsink is still 70C (thermometer measured). Silent it's not!

Associate
WJA96 said:
Of course. I genuinely think 4GHz is feasible (week 28B CPU) with active water cooling on the CPU and Northbridge.

The Vdroop is horrific though so the difference between idle and 100% utilization temperatures is quite small - It's idling at 48C and maxing out at 62C and even with an 80mm cable-tied to the Northbridge the heatsink is still 70C (thermometer measured). Silent it's not!

What mounting does the NB cooler use? Push pins or hooks?

Back
Top Bottom