**** The Official Google Pixel C Thread ****

Associate
If you plan on doing a lot of typing then it's worth it, otherwise there isn't much point.

It's also quite expensive for a keyboard, if you already have a tablet stand and wireless keyboard I wouldn't bother.

I didn't have anything to do this, so for me I always use it with the keyboard. Also I don't have to carry around a stand and keyboard as it just combines together.

1 - It supports the tablet at any angle and allows me to use the tablet like a laptop i.e. without having to hold it. And due to how solid it is works well on uneven surfaces, bed/lap etc
2 - I can use it in some games
3 - Any form filling on the internet is much easier (wouldn't say I type a lot)
4 - It protects the screen when in transit
5 - Has really nice key action (only used surface keyboards to compare from a mobile point of view)
6 - It is expensive but it also feels expensive/well made to me

Associate
I didn't have anything to do this, so for me I always use it with the keyboard. Also I don't have to carry around a stand and keyboard as it just combines together.

1 - It supports the tablet at any angle and allows me to use the tablet like a laptop i.e. without having to hold it. And due to how solid it is works well on uneven surfaces, bed/lap etc
2 - I can use it in some games
3 - Any form filling on the internet is much easier (wouldn't say I type a lot)
4 - It protects the screen when in transit
5 - Has really nice key action (only used surface keyboards to compare from a mobile point of view)

It's a tablet first and foremost, if I wanted a laptop I would buy one.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a tablet first and foremost, if I wanted a laptop I would buy one.

That's nice - for me its the best of both.
I no longer need to use my work laptop as a personal device and only bring it home when I am on call and I don't have to go to my office to use my desktop unless I want to game.
So its a win win for me.

Associate
Well, it turned up earlier... Even without the keyboard, this really does seem like a cracking piece of kit! Hardware seems brilliant, solidly built and feels spot on in the hand.

Took it straight to Android N, and although there are some app issues, on the whole it's pretty impressive. Split screen multi tasking is rather good too, not Windows 10 snap good, but that's not what it's about, is it?.. Evernote next to Google Docs or Word is fantastic.

Easy replacement for Chromebook, MBA and Nexus 7 once N is final, for me and my usage anyway.

UPDATE: currently trying it with a Logitech Keys-to-go and a MS Bluetooth sculpt mouse... at this rate, I'm not gonna last long until I get the proper keyboard! This thing flies overall, although some apps can be fairly flaky running on N (not unexpected), and I've only encountered Skype being the major block for the apps I use personally.

Last edited:
Associate
Keyboard makes it :)

2 days in and you're right... arrives tomorrow hopefully!

Have gone back to MM for now, as the fallout from the N alpha is too much to deal with day-to-day for me. Need to test Cisco Anyconnect and that simply doesn't work right now... add Skype, OneNote to that and it's a little difficult getting done what I want to.

Realise it's effectively purchased on a whim, with the discount offer, but it's definitely the best whim I've given in to in a long time.

Associate
2 days in and you're right... arrives tomorrow hopefully!

Have gone back to MM for now, as the fallout from the N alpha is too much to deal with day-to-day for me. Need to test Cisco Anyconnect and that simply doesn't work right now... add Skype, OneNote to that and it's a little difficult getting done what I want to.

Realise it's effectively purchased on a whim, with the discount offer, but it's definitely the best whim I've given in to in a long time.

Im still running N, just as an FYI OpenConnect (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.openconnect&hl=en_GB) works well while cisco make anyconnect work again.

Guess you are a bit stuffed with the others lol

Associate
Associate
Has anyone moved from an iPad to the Pixel C? What has the experience been like?

I've got an iPad Air 2 at the moment, which I mainly use to watch movies, check emails etc. Been thinking about getting the pixel C to do the same because I imagine it would actually be easier to load movies onto and also be good to throw a couple of emulators on there and relive my childhood lol.

Thanks

Associate
Has anyone moved from an iPad to the Pixel C? What has the experience been like?

I've used iPad 2, iPad mini 1,2,3 for a while, then Nexus 7 for ages...

Still the odd app that's "not tablet optimised", but on the whole it's replaced everything else I use (Macbook Air, Chromebook, N7) and the cries of the tame Apple press saying "Android tablets all suck, ours don't" isn't completely true.

As others have said, and my stupidity noted above show, get the keyboard as it's brilliant... pair that with a bluetooth mouse and you're laughing.

Personally, I couldn't use Android N in the current state it's in, but I reckon it'll be spot on once it's final (or even at the 2nd or 3rd test release).

Watching films on it is fantastic, HD versions from Google Play and other sources look great... screen (to my eyes) is better than pretty much all of the fruit-themed-fondleslabs other than the Pro. Channel 4's All4 app currently won't live stream to the device, but will cast OK, although that's a fault shared with the N6P and a few other 6.0+ only devices. Netflix and the like all pretty sweet though.

Gaming is pretty damn good from what I've tried so far... not tried emulators, but assuming they're ok on other Android kit, I wouldn't imagine too much grief here.

I'm getting rid of everything else I use from a tablet/mobile point of view now... that's what I currently think of the Pixel C!

Hope that helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions if need be.

Associate
I've used iPad 2, iPad mini 1,2,3 for a while, then Nexus 7 for ages...

Still the odd app that's "not tablet optimised", but on the whole it's replaced everything else I use (Macbook Air, Chromebook, N7) and the cries of the tame Apple press saying "Android tablets all suck, ours don't" isn't completely true.

As others have said, and my stupidity noted above show, get the keyboard as it's brilliant... pair that with a bluetooth mouse and you're laughing.

Personally, I couldn't use Android N in the current state it's in, but I reckon it'll be spot on once it's final (or even at the 2nd or 3rd test release).

Watching films on it is fantastic, HD versions from Google Play and other sources look great... screen (to my eyes) is better than pretty much all of the fruit-themed-fondleslabs other than the Pro. Channel 4's All4 app currently won't live stream to the device, but will cast OK, although that's a fault shared with the N6P and a few other 6.0+ only devices. Netflix and the like all pretty sweet though.

Gaming is pretty damn good from what I've tried so far... not tried emulators, but assuming they're ok on other Android kit, I wouldn't imagine too much grief here.

I'm getting rid of everything else I use from a tablet/mobile point of view now... that's what I currently think of the Pixel C!

Hope that helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions if need be.

Brilliant!! Thanks for taking the time to write that, it made my mind up and I've ordered myself the 64gb one with the 25% off "developer" Code.

Think my mum will be more than happy with the iPad air 2 :D.

Cant believe in the space of a few weeks I've gone from Apple fan boy to buying and S7 Edge and now the Pixel C.... Surely a sign of the Apocalypse?!?!? haha

Back
Top Bottom