**** The Official Google Pixel C Thread ****

Permabanned
I'm glad more users are giving this tablet a chance, it's probably the most underrated tablet on the market and a bargain with the developer discount.

Best purchase I've made in a long time.

Soldato
I've used iPad 2, iPad mini 1,2,3 for a while, then Nexus 7 for ages...

Still the odd app that's "not tablet optimised", but on the whole it's replaced everything else I use (Macbook Air, Chromebook, N7) and the cries of the tame Apple press saying "Android tablets all suck, ours don't" isn't completely true.

As others have said, and my stupidity noted above show, get the keyboard as it's brilliant... pair that with a bluetooth mouse and you're laughing.

Personally, I couldn't use Android N in the current state it's in, but I reckon it'll be spot on once it's final (or even at the 2nd or 3rd test release).

Watching films on it is fantastic, HD versions from Google Play and other sources look great... screen (to my eyes) is better than pretty much all of the fruit-themed-fondleslabs other than the Pro. Channel 4's All4 app currently won't live stream to the device, but will cast OK, although that's a fault shared with the N6P and a few other 6.0+ only devices. Netflix and the like all pretty sweet though.

Gaming is pretty damn good from what I've tried so far... not tried emulators, but assuming they're ok on other Android kit, I wouldn't imagine too much grief here.

I'm getting rid of everything else I use from a tablet/mobile point of view now... that's what I currently think of the Pixel C!

Hope that helps and I'm happy to answer any other questions if need be.

If it had a decent pressure sensitive stylus (like samsungs s-pen or apple pencil thingy) I'd snap one up in a heartbeat. Still think it's a massive oversight that no current android tablets have such a thing

Soldato
Agreed. It's more a "nice to have" sort of thing, but it should have been there.
Note taking in meetings, etc.

Interested to see how the Pixel C is, when Android N is properly out. I'm half tempted with that 25% off price, but the Nexus is doing the job just now.

Associate
Was close to buying this but ended up getting a Samsung S2 instead. Even with the developer discount, £299 felt like a lot and the extra weight over the S2 was a factor.

In saying that, I paid £260 for the S2 with delivery so it wasn't actually that much more expensive.

But no expandable storage on the Pixel C...

Last edited:
Associate
Was close to buying this but ended up getting a Samsung S2 instead. Even with the developer discount, £299 felt like a lot and the extra weight over the S2 was a factor.

In saying that, I paid £260 for the S2 with delivery so it wasn't actually that much more expensive.

I don't find the weight of the Pixel C an issue at all, definitely doesn't feel like a toy.

Also the performance difference between the S2 and Pixel C is huge when it comes to 3D performance, which is a big deal for a tablets with high resolution displays.

Samsung annoy me because they don't seem to understand that tablets need more performance than their phones, Apple understand this at least. Samsung just seem to throw in whatever they have lying around with the "that's good enough" attitude which I don't think is good enough for a flagship product.

Last edited:
Associate
Can the Pixel C play 1080p 10bit mkv?

I still have to use my 25% discount but I've ordered a Air 2 purely because it has the hardware and software to be able to play all video files. Currently I'm using a N7 2013.

Associate
Probably going to send mine back, got the Dev discount but even so for my tablet use my iPad Air 2 is substantially better.

I'd only miss two things by sending it back; the fact that the magnets are strong enough to stick the device to my fridge, making for an awesome kitchen tv / media device, and I'll miss being able to run all the classic game emulators which you can't do on a stock iPad.

Many will disagree but the sheer number of optimised tablets apps on the iPad is far superior still. I'd love to see more android devs get on board and develop tablet optimised apps and then it'd be great.

Associate
Thanks, didn't know you could use it and still return it but I reckon I'll just keep the iPad once it arrives and jailbreak it.

I agree that iOS tablet apps are really far ahead in quantity and quality.

Associate
Not really an iPad style case, but I picked up the tab leather pouch case by Case Mate... I keep the keyboard around at all times now I've got it, so any other type of case wouldn't really work for me personally.

Seem to be loads of fruit-style smart ish cases out there to choose from, although quality might be pot luck.

Associate
Having obtained a developer code I'm currently sitting on my hands from pressing the order button.

Do we know what the USB-C port supports I've seen a few USB-c hubs but is the compatability there?

Will we ever see HDMI through USB-c on the Pixel c?

Cutting to the chase I'd like to use it as a media device but its a tie with the Samsung S2.

Associate
Having obtained a developer code I'm currently sitting on my hands from pressing the order button.

Do we know what the USB-C port supports I've seen a few USB-c hubs but is the compatability there?

Will we ever see HDMI through USB-c on the Pixel c?

Cutting to the chase I'd like to use it as a media device but its a tie with the Samsung S2.

I've watched a video review over the last few days that shows the reviewer using this adaptor to connect USB sticks, but I'm not sure the HDMI output works here... would get one as a test, but it's holiday time and I've already burned too many nuggets getting this awesome tablet!

EDIT: no HDMI via USB type C as yet, but being worked on via software update. Confirmed in AMA with the Pixel team.

On another note, I've stuck the N preview on again and am persevering with it... same issues as last time with OneNote and Skype not working, but benefits of split screen and general OS behaviour have been worth it... a few weeks on from buying and I absolutely love the Pixel C.

Last edited:
Associate
I've watched a video review over the last few days that shows the reviewer using this adaptor to connect USB sticks, but I'm not sure the HDMI output works here... would get one as a test, but it's holiday time and I've already burned too many nuggets getting this awesome tablet!

EDIT: no HDMI via USB type C as yet, but being worked on via software update. Confirmed in AMA with the Pixel team.

On another note, I've stuck the N preview on again and am persevering with it... same issues as last time with OneNote and Skype not working, but benefits of split screen and general OS behaviour have been worth it... a few weeks on from buying and I absolutely love the Pixel C.

Thanks for the info may wait till end of the month but I've heard nothing but good things about it. Glad its being worked on. :D

Good thing the developer code lasts till July :p

Back
Top Bottom