**** The Official Google Pixel C Thread ****

Associate
(nearly) 1 month update:

Been using only the Pixel C and it's done everything.

Managed to sort a "legacy" printer for Google Cloud Print, so that's offline (remote) printing sorted.

Have gone back to Android N beta 2 as well, am able to cope without Skype and OneNote for now... pretty much every other app so far is absolutely fine. It's more of a solid platform than on my N5X, which I've rolled back to MM.

Issues with a few niggly apps not obeying screen rotation have been pretty much solved with "Rotation - Orientation Manager"

I've been able to do any document work with either Google Docs/Sheets or Microsoft Word/Excel where necessary. PDF work has been fine.

Browsing's split between Chrome on the most part, with Firefox used for annoying ad-laden sites.

The keyboard is just great... works brilliantly (I didn't have any of the first release niggles) and combined with the bluetooth mouse I'm using, it's utterly useable. Keyboard itself wipes the floor with the iPad Pro kit we've been buying at work for Cisco conference call gear.

OpenConnect works great for connecting to work VPN and various RDP clients get the rest of the job done there.

The Macbook Air's gone... Chromebook and Windows tablet won't be far behind it. Pixel goes everywhere with me...

I'm not looking back from this beast at all, and don't regret a single thing about buying it... oh, and gaming's pretty good on it too, where required!

Apologies all for a bunch of very short sentences/lines, but that sums it up so far. Brilliant bit of kit, despite the haters.

Associate
undergroove, do you use it for work? If so what area are you in?

Mine comes everywhere with me and I love it dont get me wrong but working in IT (MSP) there are so many things I need that it couldn't provide (although I guess I could through an RDP session).

Although my work laptop does stay at work now unless I am on call which is nice, it feels like I am towing a car carting my work one around :(

Last edited:
Associate
Pretty much the same area, although my part of the job can be done mostly with RDP and other tools that Android has apps for... Did a couple of days purely on the Pixel and didn't touch the work laptop at all (awkward carrying the weight of a Dell E6440 around right now too, with a rotator cuff injury).

Associate
The standard keyboard is fantastic really, with the fully adjustable angle design being a particular selling point for me personally... being able to detach/attach with a quick slide is brilliant too.

Although I can't personally answer for the folio, I imagine it'll give a little more external protection with it being a case too, of sorts, but I believe the physical keys themselves are much the same between both. You'll lose a little of the adjustable angles from the standard too, but I suppose that's personal taste.

Try both the keyboards, then send back whichever one you don't want under Google's great return policy.

Soldato
Got my Pixel C yesterday. First impressions are it looks and feels nice and premium. Well put together. Screen quality seems great in terms of colour and brightness. Performance is soild as is the Wifi.

However I have concerns with the screen. In portrait mode it has a jello (wavey) effect when scrolling.The screen response time also seems to be a bit slow? As the text smudges along when scrolling.

Associate
Got my Pixel C yesterday. First impressions are it looks and feels nice and premium. Well put together. Screen quality seems great in terms of colour and brightness. Performance is soild as is the Wifi.

However I have concerns with the screen. In portrait mode it has a jello (wavey) effect when scrolling.The screen response time also seems to be a bit slow? As the text smudges along when scrolling.

I'm fairly sure the scrolling effect is possibly by design... looks and feels like the screen visibly drags up or down on one side when scrolling through pages? Actually does the same on my N5X too, but it seems less visible for some reason.

UPDATE: a few reports in here on the Google Nexus Support forum, but I reckon it's possibly a deliberate design decision, a kind of "elastic" scrolling bit of comedy somewhere.

Last edited:

jkb

jkb

Associate
I've just ordered mine, used the money I saved with the developer code to buy a keyboard for it. I'm going to see if it can replace my laptop when I travel on business

Associate
Well from my last trip over the pond, I had Macbook Air, N7-2013, various cables and all kinds of junk, and a load of other associated paraphernalia... only just fitted it all in the carry on backpack, along with necessary medication.

Heading back over in a couple of weeks time and it's the Pixel C + keyboard, bluetooth mouse, a giant battery block (plus charger for that) and cables to charge Pixel and various that are along for the ride... it'll all be packed in this thing, and then into a backpack with the meds, and I'd probably be able to get away with only hand luggage on the way out as a result.

I love this thing.

Soldato
Is there anyway you can launch or run a full Chrome browser using Android as it would be handy with the mouse/keyboard if you could access a ChromeOS style interface for running productivity apps?

I'm hoping they add something like that in Android N as standard.

Soldato
Whats this developer discount thing people have mentioned a few times?

I keep getting tempted to get the C as a replacement for my TabS1 for general tablet usage. How are people getting on with it in that arena?

Soldato
Cheers, signed up and have the code.

How do you all find it for general tablet usage?
I cant see the keyboard add on being all that useful for me tbh.

Screen and performance is on point, other than the wavy motion I mentioned above. Batterylife seems good, it has quick charging and build quality is also top drawer.

Android is lacking a bit in high quality tablet apps but YMMV. And the tablet is a bit on the heavy side for one handed use, around 90g heavier than an iPad Air 2.

Man of Honour
I've sold my iPad Air 2 128GB and ordered a Pixel C, theres too many limitations that annoyed me with the iPad, as good as the apps are theres nothing that I'm using on it that the Pixel C isn't going to be able to also do, the addition of the keyboard might actually make it more usable for me.

My old Galaxy S 10.5 combined with a BT mouse and KB was a surprisingly productive little package!

Associate
Hmmm, looks like ill be purchasing one soon. Got my DC so I'm good to go. Will possibly purchase next week. Got an iPad Air, but it's a little long in the tooth and doesn't although it doesn't slowdown or anything, I feel its time to upgrade. Plus the gf wants the iPad.

Looks to be a solid piece of kit!

Associate
Hopefully got another couple of converts at work... one lad was wanting to buy a fruit-themed fondle-slab just for surfing, but obviously can't get his beloved streaming video working on that in the same way it does on the Galaxy his daughter's nicked.

Other is a virgin that just fell in love with the Pixel after having a go with mine...

Feels like we're part of a secret club in a way!

Man of Honour
Looking to pickup a USB-C hub for connecting USB Devices and maybe an SD Card Reader but ideally one thats powered (power to the USB devices and charge the Pixel C) can anyone reccomend one?

Also looking for a case/sleeve to hold the Pixel C and Keyboard Case if anyone has any good reccomendations!

Back
Top Bottom