***The Official Manly Shaving Thread***

Associate
oil wise that one is very greasy the nuage and the stubble clings to your blade, shave secret is very good as an oil. Here is todays haul from the cheap shops around the town centre on my lunch :) most of the items were a pound and that lot will last me a while.

Soldato
oil wise that one is very greasy

Kinda the point? ;) Anyway, it's just a cheap, easily available one to try out for him. I've never had any problem with mine.

How much was the Real Shaving Co balm there, Scorchisio? You can get them for a quid online, which I think is bargainous.

Has anyone else started shaving every day simply because they enjoy it now?

Soldato
OP
Kinda the point? ;) Anyway, it's just a cheap, easily available one to try out for him. I've never had any problem with mine.

How much was the Real Shaving Co balm there, Scorchisio? You can get them for a quid online, which I think is bargainous.

Has anyone else started shaving every day simply because they enjoy it now?

I have no choice, I shave every day 7 days a week. The water here + the dust + heat doesn't help either. The DE method and quality products are all that are keeping irritation at bay I think :)

Associate
yes it was only a pound mate, ive gone off online ordering lately i prefer the old school picking stuff up in shops lol. I have got a delivery coming tomorrow or friday that will be of epic shaving proportions coming from turkey. ill take a pic when it arrives

Commissario
I tried an Asco, an Egyptian blade. It wasn't fun. Dullish on the first shave and cut my face a bit. Felt like it was pulling rather than cutting. I threw it away - the first time I've not used a blade at least three times. A Feather Hi-Stainless went in and I'm back in my happy place.
It's amazing that we're all so different. I liked ASCO blades so much that I bought 100 of them! It was my first bulk buy.

Soldato
Nice one, Scorch.

It's amazing that we're all so different. I liked ASCO blades so much that I bought 100 of them! It was my first bulk buy.

Indeed. I think that's one of the interesting things about this DE malarkey: finding out what fits us the most. I'll try an Asco again, though, I just had a big day and needed a reliable shave.

Soldato
I'm really liking the Super max DE's, I could not for the life of me finish a pack of Chrome astra's as they were nipping me all over the place. the platinums were fine (i think plat's in general are kinder to your skin, for me atleast).

But very happy with the Super's, have some shark's to try out soon.

Caporegime
I have a razor somewhere. I couldn't say what its called though. Cost about £6. :D

Are you fed up of shaving? Yes
Do you use a Mach3/Cartridge razor? Yes
Do you suffer from razor burn? Yes
ingrowing hairs? No
and agitated skin? Yes
Is shaving a daily grind? No because I don't do it daily, but it is a grind.
Are you about to spend £100 on something better and constantly buy creams and brush heads? No

Soldato
I have a razor somewhere. I couldn't say what its called though. Cost about £6. :D

Are you fed up of shaving? Yes
Do you use a Mach3/Cartridge razor? Yes
Do you suffer from razor burn? Yes
ingrowing hairs? No
and agitated skin? Yes
Is shaving a daily grind? No because I don't do it daily, but it is a grind.
Are you about to spend £100 on something better and constantly buy creams and brush heads? No

One hundred pounds would be hyperbole. I started with about £35. Twenty five on the razor, free blades, very cheap brush and Palmolive stick.

Associate
Well finally had my first ever DE shave yesterday with the following combo:

Merkur HD34C
Astra SP
Proraso Green pre-shave cream
Proraso Green shaving cream

First impressions:-
- the merkur feels tiny! I was expecting a big heavy thing but it feels the complete opposite. My gut feeling is that I'd like a larger handle but I will continue with it for the next few months
- there were several passes where it felt like barely anything was lifted, however this is down to technique as the angle of the blade really makes a difference
- I had to re-lather and make several passes on the stubborn areas but there was absolutely zero irritation, an outstanding result considering what I normally go through with cartridges
- the whole methodical approach and the experience with the brush/creams was actually very enjoyable.
- the areas that I got right were very smooth

For the first time in my life I'm actually looking forward to my next shave. Thanks to the OP and all the guys who have contributed info to the 2 threads

Soldato
OP

As Erdof says, the money invested will return savings in the long term. The initial outlay pales in significance considering the fact you shave for 50+ years. Consider treating yourself this Christmas??

Real men of this thread. I think I need saving via suggestions of real mens shaving gear! This Mach 3 blade is no longer enough!!

Consider one of the template set ups here. If you fancy something else I'm sure someone would spec you another set.

You are more than welcome. Like I put in the OP, most of this information is just copied from what has already been given to me from members here and in other forums.

DE shaving is not for everyone. You have rightly identified that you need to take time, make a few passes and relather your face when doing so. Some people keep the mach3 spare when they simply haven't the time. I suck up the fact I have to wake up 10mins earlier :p

If you find yourself really wanting a longer handle razor you can redeem much of the value of the Merkur on ebay or a shaving forum classified. Or just start your own collection like everyone else appears to.

Soldato
Ordered some 7 o'clocks to see what they are like, though giving the Feathers another go and getting some very good results with them

Associate
without a doubt, doesnt make them the best though, depends on your skin, for me they are too harsh i only use them on rare occasions in my merkur 37c slant. My everyday blade is the polsilver super iridium. They are sharp but also gentle and smooth. The feathers are so sharp that they are harsh imo.

Soldato
Aah, thanks. I have sensitive skin, but Feathers just fit me for some reason. The first two shaves are smooth as anything and the blade just glides along.

A friend is going to Italy soon, is Proraso stuff cheaper over there?

Back
Top Bottom