• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Phenom II Overclocking Thread***

Associate
Ye its always my third core that fails i tried enabling thing to limit certain cores in bios but i wont post for some reason with that enabled and i have to clear CMOS

Associate
Highest stable speed i can get is 3.5-3.55 on my 720BE can get into windows at 3.6 but all stress tests fail within minutes tried every possible combination of multiplier/ fsb i could seems like its the limit for my chip upped voltage to 1.5 and nb voltage was at 1.3 but that didnt make any dif

Try disabling CPU Tweak in the BIOS, worked for me, could get past 3.5 before doing so...

Alo make sure your RAM is running at required voltage and timings!

Associate
Howdy all,

Before I post my OCing results from the last few days I'm looking for some help. Just working on my max NB frequency at present but not sure about which voltage I should increase. On my Asus Mobo I have a choice of 2....

Processor-NB voltage
NB Voltage

Which one should I be increasing as required, many thanks.

Associate
for reference: not all am2+ boards can modify the nb multi, for these boards the only way to boost imc clock is by raising htt :)

fyi - stable at 3333mhz core, 2500mhz imc 1946 htt with stock volts and 1.3v respectively (12(core)*278(htt)*9(imc)*7(htt multi)).
4*1gb ddr2 @ 556mhz 5-5-4-15 2T @2v

with SB600

limited by mobo pwm not able to cope with >stock volts or >~140w

Soldato
Howdy all,

Before I post my OCing results from the last few days I'm looking for some help. Just working on my max NB frequency at present but not sure about which voltage I should increase. On my Asus Mobo I have a choice of 2....

Processor-NB voltage
NB Voltage

Which one should I be increasing as required, many thanks.

Same chip/board as me so interested to see what you hit :D

Soldato
OK bringing this thread back,

Im now rock solid stable (1 week only 1 bsod and think that was unrelated)

1.45v 3.7ghz

All I have done is tweaked multiplier... Also tightened ram timings to 4 - 4 - 4 - 12 as someone told me they like the tight timings, can only go 2t unfortuatly 1t causes boot prob....

Associate
Highest stable speed i can get is 3.5-3.55 on my 720BE can get into windows at 3.6 but all stress tests fail within minutes tried every possible combination of multiplier/ fsb i could seems like its the limit for my chip upped voltage to 1.5 and nb voltage was at 1.3 but that didnt make any dif

Same as my chip!

Yup, much the same as me. I have been posting over here regarding my max clocks (look for CptMorgans). http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/475649-amd-phenom-ii-x3-720-oc-2.html

After several days stability testing I've definately got a sweet spot. Using the multiplier only:-

3.4Ghz, stock volts, passes prime95, OCCT and 3dmark06 all day long.
3.5Ghz, 1.4v, passes prime95, OCCT and 3dmark06 all day long
3.6Ghz, 1.5v, has passed 1hour prime95 and OCCT but not always. Upping voltage to 1.55v(max I'm prepared to go) makes no difference.
Have booted into windows at 3.7 & 3.8 but hit or miss as to stability.

I'm also running my NB at 2600Mhz with 1.3v NB seriously improving the memory performance.

Also having carried out multiple benchmarks at 3.4 -3.6Ghz I didnt find a massive difference. So for me, running at 3.4Ghz is perfect. A definate performance gain over stock and no excessive stress on the system.

Associate
Another update this time ref HT Link (stock 2000Mhz) and NB frequency (stock 2000Mhz).

With the system at a stable 3.4Ghz on stock volts, 2000Mhz HT & 2000Mhz NB I ran memory tests in Everest as follows;

3dMark06 also scored approx 13800points.

With the system at a stable 3.4Ghz on stock volts, 2000Mhz HT & 2600Mhz NB I ran memory tests in Everest again as follows;

3dMark06 again scored approx 13800points.

Note:- I tried the HT Link @ 2200 & 2400Mhz and it made no significant change to my scores, infact 3dmark06 score exactly the same!

In summary when raising the NB frequency I returned good memory / L3 cache performance gains. 3dMark06 showed no change.

Associate
In summary when raising the NB frequency I returned good memory / L3 cache performance gains. 3dMark06 showed no change.

Seen similar with my 720X3 ... only increased NB to 2400 when I was benchmarking ... stopped there since became unstable in Prime - but since then upped NB voltage to 1.3V so need to look again at this. I did see small increases in 3dMark06 but nothing much - however I was attributing that mainly to my system now being bottlenecked by gfx card.

Associate
Ive had my 720be a week or so now and decided to test it out today. I only have the stock cooler and set the muliplier 17x, runs great at 3.4ghz :) Thats using stock voltage and idles at about 26 degrees as reported by coretemp. I did try 18x but fails to boot into windows so im guessing the voltage would need upping for that.

Im quite a newbie to all this so a have a couple of questions. Ive left everything else just set to auto is this ok? Also cool and quiet was enabled before but now having set the multiplier from auto to 17x it has disabled for some reason, is this normal?

Cheers

Associate
Actually just run 3dmark vantage and it failed with an error. Then the graphics in windows became corrupt so im guessing it isnt stable with that overclock :(

Associate
Thanks r0zvad just tryed again at 3.4ghz and seems fine now at 1.4v. Have ran OCCT for an hour and the max temperature it reaches is 53 degrees so im guessing this is ok. Would a new cooler be needed do you think? Would it be quieter?

Associate
53c sounds fine on stock. Although you could get an aftermarket cooler and run the fan on a lower speed which may help with the sound. Sounds like a nice overclock though!

Back
Top Bottom