*** The Official Playstation 4 (PS4) Thread ***

Soldato
Will the PS4 have team speak this time round?

Was this not mentioned during their "big reveal"? I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure I remember it. Unless I'm just hoping it was and my brain is giving me false memories...

PS4 will be a day one purchase for me though for sure. My friends will all be getting one, and I generally much prefer the PS3 exclusives, nothing the 360 offered ever really tempted me and those that did eventually released on PS3 anyway (Bioshock and Mass Effect). Forza was the only real exclusive one I was ever interested in, but not enough to make me want to buy the console just for it. Drive Club looks fantastic so hopefully that will fill my driving game needs, and if GT6/7 manages to somehow be infinitely better than GT5 there is always that to fall back on.

Ive never been someone to own both the big consoles before, but this time around I was quite looking forward to having both the big players. Currently though the Xbox One will have to reveal some very special games at E3 to tempt me as absolutely nothing about it interests me so far.

Sorry if this is mentioned, but will this play PS3 games?

Nope, sorry. Was going to trade my PS3 in if it did, but alas its been confirmed its not backwards compatible.

Soldato
Nope, sorry. Was going to trade my PS3 in if it did, but alas its been confirmed its not backwards compatible.

I never got a PS3....there are quite a few games that I would not mind playing now. I never played MGS4 even though I love the series and played all of the others, Uncharted games, Demon's Souls, Heavy Rain for example. I would have considered getting a PS4 if I could play some of those, but I will definitely pass now.

around £350-400 for one of the new-gen console would be a major purchase for me atm, and I can't really justify the expense unfortunately. And no backwards compatibility totally rules the PS4 out for me.:(...maybe I can pick up a cheap PS3 somewhere.

Soldato
As someone who has never owned a PS3, do they support mkv files?

No and PS3 had such potential as a media playback device. Its amazing that I just last week got a Samsung Smart TV, plugged in a 2TB USB 3.0 drive, and ALL my MKV files on the drive played perfectly fine using the TV remote.

I'm now really undecided on xbox one or PS4, as both from a hardware view look to be rather good, however PS4 seems to have the edge for me as I like the controller and seems PS4 is going for core gamers - which is what I want a games console for..

Truth is, I'll perhaps end up with a PS4 but still play all my games on PC and dabble with a playstation much like I have with the PS3, but its always nice to have at least one games console..

PS3 has done me proud as a blu ray and bbc iplayer and still played uncharted series and GT series to death on PS3, and looking forward to the last of us and GT6 PS3 final swan song games from the looks..

Sony press release for PS4 was ok, I thought the xbox one was just the same, it was ok, did like the xbox one voice system, if that does actaully work then that could prove popular..

won't preorder either one of them... I'll buy one a few months after they release and decide then which one I'm going for. Can't justify two next gen consoles...

Caporegime
Anyone else think Sony would have something like that used game fee? I can see publishers pushing them to implement something similar tbh.
Dont be surprised if they come up with the same solution. E.g. Allow used games but ensure that the fees required to play them on a different account/console/whatever are a significant percentage of the games cost new. In effect, pricing the second hand market out of the equation rather than actually physically stopping you playing used games, its just those used games just wont be as valuable to sell on as they were...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Lots of potential, but not much to talk about right now until we see more. The streaming stuff is interesting, was very impressed with both OnLive and GaiKai when I tested them. I'd like to see some proper realtime demos of all their GaiKai implementations at E3. They need to explain the controller too - what they have in mind for the touchpad, and the full capabilities of the 'Move' lightbar.

Soldato
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

Sony gave the PS4 50% more raw shader performance, plain and simple (768 SPs @ 800MHz vs. 1152 SPs & 800MHz). We’ll have to wait and see how this hardware delta gets exposed in games over time, but the gap is definitely there.

Really nice comparison article on the differences between the two new consoles. Would have to say I'm siding with the PS4 at the moment this time around. I was also more impressed with the PS4 game demo's at their event,they looked noticeably nicer. CoD looked especially bad in comparison to me...

Caporegime
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6972/xbox-one-hardware-compared-to-playstation-4

Really nice comparison article on the differences between the two new consoles. Would have to say I'm siding with the PS4 at the moment this time around. I was also more impressed with the PS4 game demo's at their event,they looked noticeably nicer. CoD looked especially bad in comparison to me...
From what Ive read it does seem Sony have basically made a mini PC in that they havent tried anything out-of-the-ordinary regards how the PS4s hardware is setup (Im looking at you Cell :mad: or the ESRAM-DDR3 XO setup :shudders: ) or how its going to be coded for. On top of that it appears to have less of a OS and API footprint than the XO (XO uses a real-time secondary OS with dedicated resources for the snap in apps/media features) and also the possibility of developing for it at a low level too.

Considering the effort to code for it is minimal compared to PC (same as XO though), we should see a reduction in the difference of graphics between launch titles and end of cycle games as theyll be running rather than walking from the off, but with the added ability that first party/exclusive games have a real ability to shine thats not just tied up in unlocking its power more finessing it...

EDIT: What I do wonder is if multi-plat developers will ever attempt to realise these performance differences as using the same x86 architecture could mean effectively building different LODs, one for XO and one for PS4...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Oh I didnt mean it like that more that the way its setup for a developer is that it basically works like a PC, unlike what they did with the PS3 or say what MS is trying to do with its memory bandwidth. I know there appear to be multi tweaks (both MS and Sony have bought semi-customed AMD SoCs)

Back
Top Bottom