• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX 7900 GRE as of 20/03/2024 - Not such a flawed product?

Soldato
That must be wrong as have just seen it on another site for £559

Worth noting that some major UK outlets have store fronts on a certain auction website. Said auction website frequently offers hefty discount vouchers which work with some of those storefronts, including a recent (maximum) £75 off, it's usually percentage based but can really add up tbh.

Last edited:
Associate
The main competitor to here has it for 650!
Ah yes, was on my phone last night and couldn't find it there, although another competitor has it for 559 so they must be trying their luck.

For what its worth to anyone, I was messing with the Fan profile yesterday and can get my nitro playing still pretty much silent whilst keeping memory and hotspot at 80, that was with memory at 2400Mhz

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You guys on the fence should just buy the Asrock Steel Legend while it's £529.99. It's a cracking card and a lot of punch for the price. Still haven't heard mine ramp it's fans up and if the stupid coloured fan blades in the picture is putting you off they are actually clear plus you can turn the ARGB off using the switch on the card.

Associate
I only ever look at one Chinese forum, but the people on there didn't seem to like the 7900GRE either, so I imagine AMD are just rolling it out globally because they weren't able to hoodwink enough Chinese folk.
They'll launch it everywhere at too high a price, and crash the price when no-one buys and it'll be hailed as a good buy.
I'll just keep waiting for these price crashes then! Trying to upgrade at the minute and can't stomach spending 300£ on a 3yr old 2nd hand card (looking at 6900 or 3080)

Soldato
You guys on the fence should just buy the Asrock Steel Legend while it's £529.99. It's a cracking card and a lot of punch for the price. Still haven't heard mine ramp it's fans up and if the stupid coloured fan blades in the picture is putting you off they are actually clear plus you can turn the ARGB off using the switch on the card.
nope us guys on fence will wait for drops as they will come

Associate
Anyone here have a reference card? I've been trying to undervolt and overclock mine but no matter the settings I change, it will crash the stress test or game. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck and would like to share what they have dialed in.

Caporegime
Anyone here have a reference card? I've been trying to undervolt and overclock mine but no matter the settings I change, it will crash the stress test or game. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck and would like to share what they have dialed in.

By how much are you trying to overclock / undervolt?

I don't have a reference card, or even a 7900 GRE, its a 7800 XT, shouldn't matter, they are all RDNA 3, what i found that for short term benchmarking i can run volts as low as 920 mv, for actually gaming 1080 mv is 100% stable, 1050 mv maybe, anything lower than that and it will crash, with in 5 minutes or 5 hours....

The 7900 GRE might have different starting volts, mine are 1150 mv, it might be 1100 or something.

Try starting small, with no overclocks try reducing the volts by just 20 mv.

I see some Youtubers moving sliders by huge amounts and running a 2 minute stress test, stuff like that is not going to work in the real world.

Last edited:
Soldato
Worth noting that some major UK outlets have store fronts on a certain auction website. Said auction website frequently offers hefty discount vouchers which work with some of those storefronts, including a recent (maximum) £75 off, it's usually percentage based but can really add up tbh.

Shame the prices are heavily inflated so any discount only just about reaches what they sell on their official webstore.

Associate
By how much are you trying to overclock / undervolt?

I don't have a reference card, or even a 7900 GRE, its a 7800 XT, shouldn't matter, they are all RDNA 3, what i found that for short term benchmarking i can run volts as low as 920 mv, for actually gaming 1080 mv is 100% stable, 1050 mv maybe, anything lower than that and it will crash, with in 5 minutes or 5 hours....

The 7900 GRE might have different starting volts, mine are 1150 mv, it might be 1100 or something.

Try starting small, with no overclocks try reducing the volts by just 20 mv.

I see some Youtubers moving sliders by huge amounts and running a 2 minute stress test, stuff like that is not going to work in the real world.
Was trying for under 1v but it seems at default clocks with power limit at +15% and fast timing on the memory still crashes games and the driver.

Associate
Beginning to think its the game, not the card as it's just crashed at completley default settings.
Crashing at default usually means a PSU problem or a gpu die overheat issues (inadequate thermal paste contact?)- when I had a 7900xt I got frequent crashes at default and only after I swapped the PSU out did those disappear.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Might be, what PSU do you have? ^^^^^
--------

This is an interesting snippet, you need higher voltage if you're also overclocking the VRam, its not what he says, he says you need high core frequency for higher VRam frequency but its obvious he's taking about core volts.

I didn't know this.....

On a side note, i think this guy is being paid to say the Nvidia GPU "uses less power" he says it every time the 4070 is mentioned and then makes a big thing of it in the conclusion. :cry:

Funny how none of these tech tubers care when its the other way round....

Last edited:
Associate
Crashing at default usually means a PSU problem or a gpu die overheat issues (inadequate thermal paste contact?)- when I had a 7900xt I got frequent crashes at default and only after I swapped the PSU out did those disappear.
PSU is a new RM1000X and temps in hwinfo never exceed over 90 (apart from memory junction) Will try another demanding game later and see if issue persists. I have read Hogwarts Legacy has caused quite a few problems for some people.

Associate
You read the crash log to try and determine the cause?
Had a brief look,

LowLevelFatalError [File:Unknown] [Line: 715] hr failed at W:/Engine/Source/Runtime/D3D12RHI/Private/D3D12Resources.cpp:503 with error DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED with Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG

Amongst a heap of other stuff that I don't understand lol.

Back
Top Bottom