• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX 7900 GRE as of 20/03/2024 - Not such a flawed product?

Soldato
These are now looking very tempting, at least one of the better specced models, which is likely to boost the memory more effectively.

If I didn't have a 3080 I'd be tempted to get one myself to play around with. Either way the 7800xt and 7900gre are now looking solid buys at thier prices, and this much more so than at launch (in the west)

Associate
getting FOMO on some of these deals, worth upgrading from my 3060ti (OC'd to pretty much 3070 performance) to the 7900 GRE? 32gb ram and 5800x CPU, slight concern if my corsair CX 750w would be up to the job?

Associate
getting FOMO on some of these deals, worth upgrading from my 3060ti (OC'd to pretty much 3070 performance) to the 7900 GRE? 32gb ram and 5800x CPU, slight concern if my corsair CX 750w would be up to the job?
Yes would be almost double the performance once 7900GRE is overclocked to almost 7% touching distance of the 7900XT.

Man of Honour
It is a decent improvement, especially at higher resolutions (double the VRAM and all), but realistically you're just buying a 4070 Super and that's one (not very spectacular) generation ahead of the 3070, so the question is: what's £500-£550 worth to you?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Definitely gives the RTX 4070 Super a run for it's money when overclocked :)

In general, the minimum framerates are higher at 1440p and 4K (than an overclocked RTX 4070 Super) with a GRE when it's memory is clocked at 2600Mhz (core clocks will be a factor also).

Seems to be about a 10-20% boost to minimum framerates (depending on the game) vs the stock GRE.

Interesting to see the effect of increased memory bandwidth on higher resolutions like 4K.

The obvious thing would be for Nvidia to drop prices on the RTX 4070 Super to £500, currently the cheapest models are ~£550.

Maybe there will be a £50 price drop on some RX 7900 XTs as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm wondering if there will be any cards launched that have higher memory clock speeds out of the box?

Maybe with higher core clocks as well, and with low memory and memory hotspot temps?

Soldato
I'm wondering if there will be any cards launched that have higher memory clock speeds out of the box?
From what i understand AIB's buy/get trays of matched cores and RAM chips so i doubt it, they'd have to sell the RAM chips that came in the trays they bought from AMD and buy in faster modules.

It's something i could see the likes of EVGA doing back in its day but in the current market i doubt anyone would bother with the hassle, easier to just lower the price of the 7900 XT.

Associate
I have a 6800 reference model, as it stands I dont really need to upgrade but im itching to buy a new and shiny and i really fancy one of these. Especially now with the decent memory overclock, these look like fantastic cards for the money.

Associate
They do and i'm about to order one. I'm looking around for a model shorter than 305mm... struggling to get size specs on the cards. OcUK has the specs for the Sapphire Pulse to be 280mm long but I don't think that is correct. Its the only card on retail sites with a length measurement and all other sites have it listed as 320mm... it looks long in some of the YouTube reviews.

Associate
The pulse is definitely 320mm along with the pure and nitro. The pulse was my first choice as my recent cards have all been Sapphire but 320mm is at the case scraping limit, TPU list it as 313 but the review shows it to be 320mm :(
My options are either ASrock -269mm&305mm , Gigabyte-302mm and Powercolor fighter -290mm. I'm not a fan of the challenger or fighter coolers, the gigabyte seems limited in the UK leaving the steel legend on the table.
The alternative is to go for one of the 320s and hope it fits or get the dremel to the case if not. Maybe it is time to finally move to a fd north case but that way lies a full system upgrade and I was hoping to just replace the GPU for now.

Associate
The pulse is definitely 320mm along with the pure and nitro. The pulse was my first choice as my recent cards have all been Sapphire but 320mm is at the case scraping limit, TPU list it as 313 but the review shows it to be 320mm :(
My options are either ASrock -269mm&305mm , Gigabyte-302mm and Powercolor fighter -290mm. I'm not a fan of the challenger or fighter coolers, the gigabyte seems limited in the UK leaving the steel legend on the table.
The alternative is to go for one of the 320s and hope it fits or get the dremel to the case if not. Maybe it is time to finally move to a fd north case but that way lies a full system upgrade and I was hoping to just replace the GPU for now.

Bit of a pig that, if it was me I think I would be trying to get the sapphire in there and then thinking about a new case in the near future. I wouldn't want to get a card that is potentially noisy or with bad cooling just because it was smaller.

Associate

Thats super helpful. I think the Gigabyte could be the one to go for from that list if pushed.

Caporegime
There's actually an asus tuf gre up for preorder elsewhere for £620 :cry: :cry:

Good old asus, never miss a chance to bone consumers by being higher priced than anyone else.

XFX just said hold my beer, £650 for a 7900 gre gaming. :eek:

1pxRHbK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom