The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Soldato
OP
Pirate? lol

99% of pirates will NEVER buy the game let alone care if devs get money.
If they had morals they wouldn't pirate a game at all imo

You are wrong, things are not as black and white, many pirates actually do buy stuff afterwards. Read this great PC Gamer article:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-state-of-pc-piracy-in-2016/

Plus, I wasn't actually talking about some generic pirates, I was talking about people on this forum, whom I trust actually care about games and devs getting paid for developing them.

Soldato
Damn this is going to take a fair few hours to download... :/

Oh ffs - I leave this thing on for the last couple of hours only to find out that gog galaxy has decided to drop connection and log me out. Log back in to find only 2% done. :/

Is this an auto idle setting on gog galaxy that logs you out after a period of inactivity, even if a download is in progress?

Associate
You are wrong, things are not as black and white, many pirates actually do buy stuff afterwards. Read this great PC Gamer article:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-state-of-pc-piracy-in-2016/

Plus, I wasn't actually talking about some generic pirates, I was talking about people on this forum, whom I trust actually care about games and devs getting paid for developing them.

So just buy the game or like you say wait for a sale

No matter what spin you put on it pirating a game its illegal.

Im sure these devs expect the hype of a new release to get them sales and sales at close to the rrp....not for a pirate to get it day 1 and pay £15 a few months later to make them fell better about it.

That is taking money the devs deserve and you got the game like fair players had to pay out.

Soldato
Oh ffs - I leave this thing on for the last couple of hours only to find out that gog galaxy has decided to drop connection and log me out. Log back in to find only 2% done. :/

Is this an auto idle setting on gog galaxy that logs you out after a period of inactivity, even if a download is in progress?

That's annoying. :(

Don't think so, can't see a setting relating to that and its never happened to me.

Soldato
That's annoying. :(

Don't think so, can't see a setting relating to that and its never happened to me.
Well I've just been babysitting it for a little while and so far no more problems. :)

Currently at around 27%. Gonna leave it overnight and hopefully should be done by the morning.

Soldato
Bit of advice:

- set shadows on medium and foliage distance high, hairworks off, rest ultra/1080p - will give you 60fps no matter what

- in options set alternative movement response to enabled

- tailor the HUD as you need

- set proper difficulty (I recommend Blood and Broken Bones for first playthrough, if you want a bit of challenge)

- once you get out of White Orchard, disable point of view markers in HUD options, exploration is lot more enjoyable that way

- use all the tools at Geralt's disposal - signs, bombs, alchemy, skills etc

- ask if you need any advice

- enjoy the best game ever made
Right, thanks this looks like some good tips to follow. :)

Soldato
OP

Im sure these devs expect the hype of a new release to get them sales and sales at close to the rrp....not for a pirate to get it day 1 and pay £15 a few months later to make them fell better about it.

That is taking money the devs deserve and you got the game like fair players had to pay out.

I am not disputing that piratting is illegal. But if you buy a game and money goes to scammers instead of devs, then what you are doing is actually worse than pirating. And with reseller sites you never know if the keys are obtained via scams with credit cards or not. Hence it being better to get the game via legit stores.

Right, thanks this looks like some good tips to follow. :)

Also, download immersivecam:

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/689/?

immersivehud (it is in the list):

http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1951/?

I set the camera as in the screens I posted above, it is great to have that customization.
I also enjoyed sensible map borders mod, makes border exploration bit more pleasant.

Soldato

So from the devs PoV, what's the better scenario out of these 3:

- Someone waits 6 months and buys the game for £15 from GOG
- Someone pirates the game at release, then waits 6 months and buys the game for £15 from GOG
- Someone buys the game at release for £20 from the key seller "StolenCreditCardGamez" on Kinguin/g2a

Associate
So from the devs PoV, what's the better scenario out of these 3:

- Someone waits 6 months and buys the game for £15 from GOG
- Someone pirates the game at release, then waits 6 months and buys the game for £15 from GOG
- Someone buys the game at release for £20 from the key seller "StolenCreditCardGamez" on Kinguin/g2a

If you care about the devs add a 4th scenario

- Buys the game at release at close to the rrp so we get what we deserve IF the player can't wait for sales etc.

If everyone pirated a game and bought for say £15 on a legitimate site 6 months later then we wouldn't even have these games at such AAA quality.
How is it fair to other gamers having to pay for the privilege of new releases when others don't?
And to say all games bought on cdkeys are dodgy is plain wrong.

Plus some people want the best price for a game and don't care where the money goes so they don't have to illegally download to eventually buy.

But everyone has their own opinions on the issue so let's agree to disagree :D

Last edited:
Associate
I remember an article where one of the lead CDPR guys came out and said obviously they don't want people to steal the game but they will accept that some people will pirate it, lend it to friends etc and that makes them work harder to create a game that convinces people it's worth the money. There's no doubt that developers will earn more by selling sale copies directly through GOG than copies bought from grey market resellers. There's enough allegations flying around that some of these CD key resellers sell stolen keys anyway!

here's the link - his views are very refreshing to hear on DRM.
http://kotaku.com/some-real-talk-on-piracy-from-a-witcher-3-dev-1783864910

Soldato
I kept getting "install failed" with gog galaxy until realising that it doesn't seem to like any install directory other than its default - so I reinstalled galaxy, making a backup of the downloaded game files and left all the settings alone - fortunately has worked fine now.

For a moment there I was kind of thinking should have just got it on steam for less hassle - seems galaxy is still very beta, but at least it is working now.

Associate
I just started Blood and Wine and I have a question, since I'm already capped at the sword skills I'm using at level 41, where am I supposed to put the extra points from leveling?

Soldato
I just started Blood and Wine and I have a question, since I'm already capped at the sword skills I'm using at level 41, where am I supposed to put the extra points from leveling?

You'll want a good few for the new mutations system, and the rest I guess you can experiment with other trees to give you some versatility.

Me, I was a heavy sign wielder with fast sword skills. After getting my mutations I dropped a couple of levels deep into the alchemy tree and actually found that a couple of those skills complimented a certain mutation choice to the extent that I became much more powerful and tanky than I'd ever thought possible...

Soldato
OP

Mutations require a lot of points, do the quest for them as soon as possible, after you get the letter.

uv

uv

Soldato
Finally completed the base game, and GOG says I've done 113 hours. I'd add 20 hours played without the launcher. Insane value for money, can't wait to play the expansions!

Soldato
If you care about the devs add a 4th scenario

- Buys the game at release at close to the rrp so we get what we deserve IF the player can't wait for sales etc.

I agree, but if I only have £20 to spend on a game then which option is best for the devs?

Plus some people want the best price for a game and don't care where the money goes so they don't have to illegally download to eventually buy.

And the end result of this is different to piracy how?

You may not be directly breaking the law, but say you buy a key from a reseller who used stolen credit card details to buy from GOG and the money was subsequently reclaimed from them, then ultimately the result is the same as if you'd just pirated the game in the first place (except you're £20 down and you've funded credit card fraud in the process)

I'm not by any means saying all key resellers/grey sites are fraudsters/dodgy, i'm sure they're in the minority, but the point is you have no way of knowing

Associate
I agree, but if I only have £20 to spend on a game then which option is best for the devs?

And the end result of this is different to piracy how?

You may not be directly breaking the law, but say you buy a key from a reseller who used stolen credit card details to buy from GOG and the money was subsequently reclaimed from them, then ultimately the result is the same as if you'd just pirated the game in the first place (except you're £20 down and you've funded credit card fraud in the process)

I'm not by any means saying all key resellers/grey sites are fraudsters/dodgy, i'm sure they're in the minority, but the point is you have no way of knowing

I know what you're saying but if I want a new game (say Battlefield 1) I'll pre order at the best price I can find.
Hopefully the money goes their way but I'm not willing to personally pirate a game and buy it at a later date.

I don't have the knowledge let alone the will to do that each time.

But I totally understand the buying direct means they get some revenue from a game they made argument.

Associate
So started playing the game again as i couldn't remember what i had done or the story as i haven't played it for ages.
Just wondering what people with a similar pc spec run the graphics settings at. I've set everything to high and turned off the hair stuff off to stop any stuttering as on ultra i could barely play the game.

Using 2x R9 290s

Caporegime
Have I ballsed something up? I seem to have played the game in the wrong order and got totally lost with the plot:

Spoilers!

I managed to find my way onto Skellige long before I think I should have done, did the quest with the mask and the mage and Ciri teleporting away, then ended up on a mountain with a boat and the scene with Yennifer. Now the game has taken me back to the find Dandelion quest to find where Ciri went. I seem to have totally missed the whole gang scene in the city having just found Whoreson Junior and killed him and have no real idea who the king on the boat is. Might need a second play through to figure it out in the rigbht order.

Back
Top Bottom