The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Associate
So started playing the game again as i couldn't remember what i had done or the story as i haven't played it for ages.
Just wondering what people with a similar pc spec run the graphics settings at. I've set everything to high and turned off the hair stuff off to stop any stuttering as on ultra i could barely play the game.

Using 2x R9 290s

What res? At 1920X1200 with a single 290 I could run it fine with a mixture of high/ultra with all the NVIDIA stuff turned off. I didn't need a high FPS to play it just a stable one.

Associate
What res? At 1920X1200 with a single 290 I could run it fine with a mixture of high/ultra with all the NVIDIA stuff turned off. I didn't need a high FPS to play it just a stable one.

Yeah 1920 x 1080. Got it playable now. Been doing some digging, looking what people play it on. So i turned all the NVIDIA stuff off and dropped the shadows and draw distances down to medium and everything else on Ultra and seems nice and smooth. Still rubbish at the game though.

Soldato
OP
Have I ballsed something up? I seem to have played the game in the wrong order and got totally lost with the plot:

Spoilers!

I managed to find my way onto Skellige long before I think I should have done, did the quest with the mask and the mage and Ciri teleporting away, then ended up on a mountain with a boat and the scene with Yennifer. Now the game has taken me back to the find Dandelion quest to find where Ciri went. I seem to have totally missed the whole gang scene in the city having just found Whoreson Junior and killed him and have no real idea who the king on the boat is. Might need a second play through to figure it out in the rigbht order.

On my second playthrough I also went to Skellige before doing all the stuff in Novigrad. Didn't notice anything not making sense ? Just went find Triss and did stuff with her, found Junior and all that. Met Radovid with Roche etc.

Associate
Anyone who played/plays this with a controller (xbox 360) have the controller stop responding on them? it happens to me often & I have to reload the game to get it to work again, its driving me nuts.

When it happens the lights on the center of the pad usually flash a bit, then either go off altogether or change to a different one than default. Can happen while doing anything, doesnt seem to matter if I'm on roach, fighting or just wandering around.

Associate
Anyone who played/plays this with a controller (xbox 360) have the controller stop responding on them? it happens to me often & I have to reload the game to get it to work again, its driving me nuts.

When it happens the lights on the center of the pad usually flash a bit, then either go off altogether or change to a different one than default. Can happen while doing anything, doesnt seem to matter if I'm on roach, fighting or just wandering around.

I know wireless pads are a bit crap on win 10 atm

I had similar issues with FIFA 16 and Xbox one s pad.
Managed to have no issues by loading the game and when it says "press start or enter key" that's when I turn on my pad

No disconnects or issues since. Might just be in FIFA though

Soldato
I remember an article where one of the lead CDPR guys came out and said obviously they don't want people to steal the game but they will accept that some people will pirate it, lend it to friends etc and that makes them work harder to create a game that convinces people it's worth the money. There's no doubt that developers will earn more by selling sale copies directly through GOG than copies bought from grey market resellers. There's enough allegations flying around that some of these CD key resellers sell stolen keys anyway!

here's the link - his views are very refreshing to hear on DRM.
http://kotaku.com/some-real-talk-on-piracy-from-a-witcher-3-dev-1783864910

I pretty much used to be Captain Morgan, Blackbeard and Edward Kenway rolled into one when it came to pirating games back in the day. Not anymore, got old and rich. Ok not rich, but have money now. Though I do take the odd game for a 'test drive' before committing to purchase but wouldn't even dream stealing from CDPR. These guys can have my money all day long. Strangely enough, Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't normally be my type of game, but because it's CDPR, I'm preordering directly from them. Don't want it cheap on CDKEYS. I'm paying them full price. They've earned as much with Witcher 3.

Anyway. Back on thread topic. Started another play through. This time on my 34' widescreen and my 1080. The gorgeousness is something to behold.

Soldato
I pretty much used to be Captain Morgan, Blackbeard and Edward Kenway rolled into one when it came to pirating games back in the day. Not anymore, got old and rich. Ok not rich, but have money now. Though I do take the odd game for a 'test drive' before committing to purchase but wouldn't even dream stealing from CDPR. These guys can have my money all day long. Strangely enough, Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn't normally be my type of game, but because it's CDPR, I'm preordering directly from them. Don't want it cheap on CDKEYS. I'm paying them full price. They've earned as much with Witcher 3.

Anyway. Back on thread topic. Started another play through. This time on my 34' widescreen and my 1080. The gorgeousness is something to behold.

Yup, I'm still playing through this and can't help but stop and stare in wonder at some of the lighting effects, especially at sunset/sunrise...

Soldato
Yup, I'm still playing through this and can't help but stop and stare in wonder at some of the lighting effects, especially at sunset/sunrise...

it is a good looking game. Played at 2K with g sync it really is something else, smooth as butter with g sync max'd with hairworks as well. 980ti - not quite a solid 60fps due to all the post processing and hairworks, but g sync smooths it out, and its superb.

Not to bash consoles, but I tried to play this on a PS4 and it was a choppy game.

Soldato
How good is this for a casual RPG player? I get the feeling it's a little bit too hardcore for me...

What would you class as hardcore? In my opinion the game is perfect for a casual RPG player. Simple combat mechanics, simple stats/skill checks and rich story.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom